Author Topic: Coronavirus Latest Updates: Greece is Shutting Down  (Read 44147 times)

Offline Ludlow

Re: Coronavirus Latest Updates: Greece is Shutting Down
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2020, 05:17:47 PM »
If I was a betting man, I'd bet everything will be open for the Summer.

Offline RIL8

« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2020, 08:34:16 PM »
Free bets from all of the gambling company’s if you also deposit £50.00. But can’t find any odds for Corfu !!! Bit of donkey derby but can’t do that to our nice long eared friends can we 😎😎. My money is on a opening of the travel on the first week in July but we will need a test for Covid19 that says you have antibodies!!! Could be a new market for our fraudster friends to take people to the cleaners!! Anyway let’s stay positive and look forward sand and sea in our shoes 😎😎😎

Stay safe Ril8 n Mrs Ril8

Offline harold

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2020, 06:10:54 PM »
Ban on flights to and from Greece extended to 15 May

ATHENS. The extension of the temporary ban on flights to and from Italy, Spain, Turkey, UK, Netherkands and Germany was announced today.

The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) announced that the temporary ban on flights to and from specific countries will be extended to 15 May.

The CAA issued NOTAMS (Notice to Airmen) that, in order to prevent the spread of COVID-19, the temporary ban on flights to and from Italy, Spain, Turkey, UK, Netherlands and Germany will be extended. Specifically, from Wednesday 15 April until 15 May at 23:59 all passenger flights to and from airports in the aforementioned countries will be temporarily suspended.

Specifically in the case of Germany flights to and from Athens Airport only will be allowed.

As in the previous NOTAMS issued by the CAA, exceptions to the suspension will be cargo, sanitary and humanitarian flights, ferry flights (returning with crew), state, emergency and military (except to and from Turkey) flights. Also excepted are Frontex flights, refuelling, flights supporting the Greek National Health Service and repatriation flights with Greek citizens.

The temporary ban on non-European citizens entering the country has also been extended, with the following exceptions: members of European families, citizens from the Schengen zone, health workers, citizens of third countries who have long-term visas for a European and Schengen country, government, diplomatic, military and humanitarian personnel, air crews and non-European citizens who been given permission to travel by the Greek Consulate.
Harold,
Theres only one Altrincham FC

Offline dimitris

• Administrator
  • Forum Fanatic
  • 尚 尚 尚 尚 尚
    • www.arillas.com
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2020, 02:08:11 PM »
Another video Explaining how Greece has "flatten the curve".
Dimitris Kourkoulos
Brouklis Str 7
Arillas 49081
Corfu Greece
+30 26630 51418
www.arillas.com
Brouklis Taverna
The 10 things you don't know about Arillas

Online turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2020, 02:34:25 PM »
Hi
I think it will be quite a while until Greece opens up it doors to the rest of the world.
They will not take a chance of risking themselves from outsiders.

Geoff
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2020, 03:32:07 PM »
I have just read this on Facebook and had to post it here. Well done Greece

"I'm currently in Alexandropoulos Northern Greece, been working here for almost a year. The moment Covid 19 was detected here, the government acted with strict rules, no ambiguous statements. All bars, restaurants and non essential shops are closed. If I want to leave my hotel I must fill in a form stating where I am going, for what reason and the length of time I will be out. I must carry this form with me along with my passport and a certificate from my employer. Failure to do so results in a €150 fine. Further transgressions will double the fine. The streets are empty and almost everyone, as far as I can see, are abiding by the conditions set out by the government. This has resulted in Greece having a lower death rate than Teesside where I live. That's an astounding statistic !"

Offline dimitris

• Administrator
  • Forum Fanatic
  • 尚 尚 尚 尚 尚
    • www.arillas.com
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2020, 09:31:55 PM »
Today, Holy Saturday, at 9 pm and until Easter Monday at 12 midnight , the lockdown  measures are getting stronger by  doubling the fine to 300 per person euros and removing the license plates of cars up to tho months for unnecessary travel. That's  being extended throughout the country. Also, the fine for gatherings of more than ten people is 1,000 euros for each person.
The authorities are trying to stop people from the Easter gathering that is the most popular and important celebration in Greece ( more than Christmas)

It is important to follow the rules, to celebrate only with the people with whom we live in the same house. We have achieved a lot so far - let's protect them, and let's protect each other.
We stay in our  home, we come out winners!Tonight Vasilis from Armourada restaurant will be  playing VERY loud (as he does on his Pavaroti nights) the church service until  midnight . we are all waiting for the moment that the clocks hit 12.00 and we will all put our fireworks on.

Happy Easter to you and your families!
Dimitris Kourkoulos
Brouklis Str 7
Arillas 49081
Corfu Greece
+30 26630 51418
www.arillas.com
Brouklis Taverna

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2020, 10:48:37 PM »
I only wish that our country had done the same Dimitris. Everyone berated me when I said we should be doing similar with phrases like “worlds gone mad..”.

Happy Easter to your wonderful family and I am counting down days until my lamb chops whenever that may be! Xx

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2020, 10:25:01 AM »
Hi Jo
Thats just the sort of thing I would say in general because I think the world has gone mad , it went mad a long long time ago 🤣
It wasn't me though so I can save my apology for the next person I upset 😉 . I must admit though I didn't think this was going to get as serious as it has 🙁
You take care
Truth
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline Glenny

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2020, 04:29:50 PM »
Totally agree with you Jo and we're now paying the price.

Stay safe everyone xx

Online vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2020, 08:57:32 PM »
Agree with you totally Jo, I told somebody on my face book about what they are doing in Corfu, and got loads of feed back saying that we should have done the same and still should be doing it now. I honestly think our government are just running away from the situation. Any way end of rant. Hope everybody Stays Safe. xx

Stay Nude it ante rude

Online turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2020, 05:49:55 PM »
Hi
Must have lockdown syndrome. Did not realise how much I had written as I proof read this post. The keyboard just kept going.

There is no doubt that Greece has done well in the containment of this virus but I don’t think you can compare Greece with the UK.
We are geographically totally different.

As of April 19th Greece had recorded 2,235 cases of the virus. 113 deaths and 269 recovered. If you extrapolate these figures the vast majority of these statistics show the mainland is the worst affected.
A high percentage in Athens.

Depending what data base you use, it seems only 33% of the population live on the islands.
The islands, being the time of the year the virus was first highlighted, I would estimate had few international travellers landing at their airports. Not all have airports.
They can, and have, self-isolated very effectively.

The majority of our infections have been in London and other large densely populated cities. We are also the largest travel hub in Europe, so we have had more businessmen, tourists (Chinese being a high %) and students (again many Chinese) unknowingly bringing the virus with them before we even knew about it.
Like Italy which has the largest death toll in Europe, we have an ageing population.

The discussions now seem to be how and when to ease the lockdown regulations.  Each country seems to be compared to the rest. With differing lock down timetables it’s very likely that nations who relax lockdown measures early will have a second wave of infection and we will not. We simply do not know. Time will tell.

There are also festering cauldrons of various diseases and infections throughout the EU in refugee camps. Many refugees recently from Turkey. As of April 19th Turkey had 86,306 cases of the virus. 2017 deaths, and 11,976 recovered (up from Aril 16th), so they will be only too happy to push out more refugees if they start proving a threat to their own citizens.

In Lesbos, for example, they have confined 1000’s of refugees that fled from Turkey when they recently opened their borders. The refugees are kept in terrible conditions, certainly no social distancing, and with poor sanitation. If they break out, or are set free another outbreak could be released. As of last week though there had been no outbreaks reported. It only takes one security guard to pass the infection on.

It can be said the UK were slow off the mark. Why did we allow travellers particularly from China and Italy to continue to land at Heathrow? Should we have shut down and locked everybody out. Should we have repatriated our citizens from infected areas throughout the EU and the rest of the world?

Yes we can criticise our government, they appeared to be slow of the mark, and yes mistakes have been made. I believe they are doing their best. The advice the Government was given and still is at times, is very conflicting.

The last Government pandemic drill was in 2016, Exercise Cygnus, a simulation for a flu pandemic, it would be interesting to know the conclusions they came to regarding   the level of our preparation to handle the situation.

The situation of PPE is a shambles. Even then, there are mitigating circumstances. Apparently a consignment of gowns was mislabelled and when opened were masks. Another shipment  was faulty.
The latest consignment of scrubs from Turkey had to be delayed to ensure the contents were correctly identified.

With testing kits, again there are mitigating reasons for insufficient numbers. A batch from a Luxemburg manufacturer, Eurofins, had to be delayed as core components were contaminated with the virus the Telegraph recently reported.

The 17.5m antibody home testing kits ordered by the government could in fact be unreliable, scientists have said,  that they may fail to detect up to half of coronavirus cases. If issued could cause a false sense of security. They were due to be available through Boots and Amazon. As reported in The Guardian

I do think the UK should be proud of itself and its population for pulling together, displaying unprecedented displays of support for their fellow man, and of selflessness, sacrifice and bravery, beyond the call of duty in so many areas of our community, not seen in peace time in my memory.

We will never forget those who have succumbed to this tragic infection. Every death is a life lost, a loved one lost to family and friends. It is a tragic loss. Life will never be the same for many families knowing lives were taken because of this pandemic. They all deserve our thoughts and prayers.

One issue we should all agree on is that we must never become so reliant on China again. When this is over their economy will no doubt prosper and flourish. Whilst that of the rest of the world will be in a deep recession. That’s not justice.
Geoff
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Online turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2020, 08:27:36 PM »
Hi
See released bulletin. Perhaps Dimitrus can elaborate.

Greece's Minister of Tourism said that Greek authorities are mulling over the introduction of a ''health passport''which will serve as proof that an individual is not suffering from COVID -19.
The minister said that Greece will only have a 3 month tourist season this year between July and September, but added that if the situation develops  positively, then the ''shoulder season'' months of October and November might see an increased number of tourists in the country.

However the biggest challange for the tourism dependent country will to be determine  who will be able to enter Greece and when.

Minister Theocharis said that there is an ongoing discussion at the EU level to determine the ways in which EU citizens will be allowed to go on vacation this year.

Brussels aims to provide a creditible test for every individual who wishes to go on holiday anywhere in Europe.
The test will have to be conducted by the member state of origin of the traveller before he or she boards an airplane or any other means of transport.

It is unclear at this point whether non EU nationals will be allowed to visit the country this summer or not

Geoff

Offline dimitris

• Administrator
  • Forum Fanatic
  • 尚 尚 尚 尚 尚
    • www.arillas.com
Hi again,
We must be quite patient at this time.
Greece has managed to "flatten the curve".    so now in Corfu there are no more corona cases since a few days . Until today there have been only 5 people found positive on Covid19 in the entire island that has a population of about 100.000   .I I found an interesting article about the history of the coovid19 in Greece here :https://southeusummit.com/europe/greece-beats-back-coronavirus/
Now that we have closed the borders and we do take precautions against the spread of the virus, We  are patiently waiting for is the relaxation of the strict traffic and moving restrictions, which is expected to be announced in the coming days and most likely within a week.
The milestone date will be Monday, May 4th.
Along with Relaxing coronavirus lockdown,  the termination of the infamous sms in 13033, which we continue to send every time it is necessary to leave our house  will gradually  begin.

In the first phase, we will be able to leave our homes without having to register where we will go, since from that day the operation of the small commercial stores will begin.
This is the suggestion that exists in the Prime Minister's Office after the last discussions with the competent ones, that is, scientists and ministers.
From May the 4th, almost the entire retail sector shops will operate again, ie the stores with the small and medium size  surface with specific restrictions about Covid19 safety.
In parallel with the gradual opening, the control for overcrowding will be maintained and tightened, as from then on, each shopkeeper will be responsible.
There will be fines if there are many more in a small store instead of the people who are expected to be inside. Keeping your distance and avoiding contact will be the first of the measures.
Hotels - Accommodation
The decision is to open the whole-year-round hotels from June 15 to July 15 and the remaining accommodation from July the 1st.But this decision is not easy.
An agreement must be reached within the EU on how flights will be operated from now on, as this is how most tourists arrive to the country.

Cafes - bars
It will be the last stores to open. There are two scenarios.
The first to open those that have outdoor spaces, in the period 11 - 18 May by reducing their tables and keeping the distance of 1 meter, and the second to open  some time in June.Authorities have said that even if the lockdown is lifted it will be imposed again if the coronavirus resurgences .

Stay safe everyone!

Dimitris Kourkoulos
Brouklis Str 7
Arillas 49081
Corfu Greece
+30 26630 51418
www.arillas.com
Brouklis Taverna

Offline dimitris

• Administrator
  • Forum Fanatic
  • 尚 尚 尚 尚 尚
    • www.arillas.com
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2020, 04:02:53 PM »
Hello again from a semi-cloudy but warm Arillas.
Yesterday there was a new announcement about the gradual unlocking and relaxation of the covid-19 measures in Greece. From Next Monday the 4th May there will be no more controls and moving registrations , small shops, hairdressers, barbershops, beauty-salons  would be able to open under specific restrictions concerning covid-19 safety.  Face masks will be compulsory while being in public...

From the 11 May

there will be more  other retail stores, except for shopping malls, however,  travelling ban  to other prefectures or other islands will still be in force. Schools will start a partial opening from that date to mid June  while only permanent residents can travel to the islands from the mainland.
On the 1st of June
cafes, and restaurants will be able to open, probably those with outdoor areas. Many restrictions are coming in that sector that I have not understood yet. There will be advice about tables density and  distance, covid-19 safety, masks for every person working within this sector etc.

The first SMALL tourist accommodation facilities will be able to open some time after the 15th of JUNE so far we have flights coming in to Corfu.
  The ministry of tourism is talking about restarting tourism from the beginning of JULY  but that is also depended on whether there will be flights to and from Corfu .So it means that we now have May and most of June with no tourists but we can be a bit more flexible in going around villages , shopping ( I'can now have my haircut)  etc. we can now go to the beach and do some sports.
I have not understood yet when we will be able to go in to the sea without "braking the law".Apparently two days ago a local expat lady was fined 150 euros for swimming in Arillas beach ALONE.

The Arillas international BEER FESTIVAL was cancelled yesterday that is normally taking place in end September every year. I think all local smaller  festivals and larger events will be cancelled too because the restriction for gathering (max 10 people) will still be in force for some time.On Friday 1st May we would have started with the Arillas trail event  but this is not possible any more.  BUT I will be doing the walk  with my family on that day and I have invited others to follow keeping the distances. I' ll take some pictures for you!
At the moment I'm preparing my Taverna for the summer ... I 'm hoping to open some time next week but ONLY TAKEAWAY as this this the only option until the 1st of June.

We have some time to wait and see what the results of "unlocking"  will be.

I'll keep you in touch.
Stay safe
I'm looking forward to seeing you all soon!

Dimitris Kourkoulos
Brouklis Str 7
Arillas 49081
Corfu Greece
+30 26630 51418
www.arillas.com
Brouklis Taverna

Booking.com