Author Topic: Hard Beds, Soft Battles?  (Read 12722 times)

Offline CJ

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
Hard Beds, Soft Battles?
« on: June 26, 2014, 04:46:03 PM »
Hi all

As I may have mentioned already, we have had a wonderful holiday in Arillas and the welcome at the Mathraki could not have been better.  One blot on the landscape however - the mattresses on the beds.  Marion suffers from a bad back (has done for some years) and she has started to really struggle to get any sleep on our past two holidays. 
I'm going to e-mail Akis to see if anything can be done so that we can continue to enjoy the Mathraki but I was just wondering if any of you know of any accommodations in Arillas that have sprung mattresses on their beds?  Anyone wake up every morning on holiday, stretch and say 'Wow! That was a great night's sleep'?
If so, please let us know.  We love our Arillas self-catering and don't really want to end up in a hotel or even (don't say it!) a different resort just so that we can get a good night's kip.

Parakhalo

CJ

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
Re: Hard Beds, Soft Battles?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 05:23:51 PM »
CJ

I may be wrong here but I think nearly all apt beds are of the single type and have those wooden slats underneath which can even make a softer mattress a tad on the hard side.

I do remember , many years back when I used a second mattress, from an empty apt, over the top of the first one, to make it softer. With the apt owners permission, of course.
( A bit higher and I slept with a parachute on)

Interested to see any reports form other guests.

Negg

Offline springs65

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 06:52:08 PM »
 I have had the same problem at the Kaloudis. When I mentioned it to the rep she says if I asked Roula she would sort something out for me.
Anyway Roula says she can get a topper put on for me for our next visit in Sept and just to email her to remind her.
We came back 13 the June and so lovely to get back to my own memory foam mattress!! Wish I could have taken it with me would than have been the perfect holiday.

Offline DaisysMum

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
    • http://www.crazydaisyjewellery.com/
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 07:13:29 PM »
The mattresses at Nikos Apartments at the top of the village are lovely and comfy.  Last year we decided to stay somewhere different, but the mattress was so hard we won't be going back and will be returning to Nikos again in September when we visit.  Comfy mattress is at the top of our holiday must haves!

Becky

Offline Sinbad

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 11:44:15 PM »
I know it's a hotel and more expensive, but the beds in the Horizon are fantastic!  I have to have a good bed for my back too and I had a really comfortable and good night's sleep. 

Also the rooms had aircon, mosquito nets and were very spacious - can really recommend if none of the apartments can offer what you want.

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 12:26:54 AM »
In my experience, all the Greek beds have hard mattresses....but I love them!!
Sandy x

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 12:32:02 AM »
I am with Sandy,not on the same mattress but you know what I mean ! Lol
I hope you are keeping well Sandy
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 12:33:47 AM »
Fine thanks...back in the UK for a bit for my son's wedding on Saturday. Hope you are all keeping well.
Sandy x

Offline Laura

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 12:30:31 AM »
Hi springs65...we left kaloudis on 13th june also!!!
My back was so sore but it was such an amazing holiday. I would have to find a solution for next year though!

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 02:29:38 AM »
Bardis Sun Studios replaced all of their mattresses last summer with two sided ones. One side is s-o-f-t and the other h-a-r-d. If in doubt, turn it over.....  But I can't offer verification, even after three weeks on one. My back is OK, and I have to admit that I could sleep on the floor of the Nut, or the beach, or MY bench opposite Thalassa. But Jen finds them very comfortable so I am posting this. 

Beware though, in high season they are fully booked a year in advance. Their season ends early so plan ahead. Nobody is going to be in room 10 next July except Jen and me.

Phil

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 08:11:54 AM »
After having a op in shoulder this yr and a disc out of the neck last yr I email vas at hotel marina , and get roula the cleaner to put 2-3 blankets on top of the mattress and then the sheet on top that helps me with the hard mattresses there hope this helps x yiammas

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 12:44:15 PM »
Bardis Sun Studios replaced all of their mattresses last summer with two sided ones. One side is s-o-f-t and the other h-a-r-d. If in doubt, turn it over.....  But I can't offer verification, even after three weeks on one. My back is OK, and I have to admit that I could sleep on the floor of the Nut, or the beach, or MY bench opposite Thalassa. But Jen finds them very comfortable so I am posting this. 

Beware though, in high season they are fully booked a year in advance. Their season ends early so plan ahead. Nobody is going to be in room 10 next July except Jen and me.

Phil

I thought that was what usually happens , Phil??

Negg

Offline sharonF

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2014, 01:27:14 PM »
hahahaha, :D

Sharon x

Offline justlynn

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 10:24:20 PM »
hee hee

lynn xx

Offline Fiona_

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 11:04:04 PM »
Hi CJ,
We have stayed at Irene Villas Apartments with Eleni and Spiro at least 11 times and the beds are lovely and very comfortable. The double beds are 2 single beds joined together with a special foam insert to make a huge comfortable large double bed. All the beds also have mosquito nets over them if you want to open all the windows. The windows have mosquito screens anyway. Highly recommended with extra touches such as the fridge stocked with essential provisions on arrival including cold beer. We are returning in 2 weeks for 3 weeks and can't wait.Its just next to the rainbow bar perfect for a nght cap and a swim in the morning.
Fiona

Booking.com