Author Topic: am i being selfish?  (Read 6800 times)

Offline sue

• Forum Fanatic
am i being selfish?
« on: October 05, 2008, 11:12:00 AM »
for the past 8 years my dad has come away with us.now daughter has left home and we went away 2 weeks on our own just me and ian and i loved it. but my  hubby told my dad if we go away next year you are welcome to come. but im not sure if i want him to come oh i feel awful about this. :(
so dad now is so excited about the fact he is coming with us. i feel guilty sometimes if i want to stay by the pool all day he might get bored but i told him this and he says i can do my own thing. he must really want to come as he even wants to stay atAnnas where we go in his own studio. last time he stayed at the horizon because of the hill up to Annas. hope its ok writing this suexx  thanks for listening

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
Re: am i being selfish?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 11:26:12 AM »
Dont worry Sue, I am sure it will be ok...  you will have a few months through the winter to plan it all with him and I am sure he will find his own things to amuse himself, will probably make his own friends and wont mind being left alone for a bit, especially at Annas which I understand is brilliant.  Then think of all the memories you will make - you just dont know what the future will bring and will cherish those moments.

I do understand how you feel though... last year we went with my very close friend and had a brilliant time...this year we were on our own and had a brilliant time.... next year I want EVERYONE to come with us.. :-)
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline sue

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 11:42:28 AM »
sue thank you so much
you have a way of making me feel better.
when i was upset about charlotte you made me feel better thank you so muchxx

Offline annie

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 11:48:08 AM »
Sue
Dont feel guilty about having a holiday on your own. I think if your Dad has said he will do his own thing i am sure he will. My Mum has come with us the last two years and stayed at the Marina on her own, we stayed at the Kaloudis. This took the walk up the hill away every night and a central point for us to meet as well. With their pool on the front your Dad could have the pool and you could have the beach best of both worlds and not very far apart.Every day we shared what we were doing and sometimes she joined in sometimes she didn't. Vasils at the marina was lovely he sorted her taxi and always asked if she was ok. She had 3 days there on her own before we got there as the flights were better for her. This worked really well. She enjoyed time with us and time on her own. Most nights she came out for dinner with us which was great for all of us. We booked with him via Email and he always reponded very quickly. I would recommend the Marina.
Hope this helps and makes you feel better
Annie

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 12:59:04 PM »
Annie, that was a really good posting.   That sounds like that might be a good idea.  You never know what someone comes up with on here - always a good input.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline sue

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 07:21:42 PM »
thanks Annie
i know my dad will do his own thing he does like to chill out and we do so it probably will work out lol. i thinking very far ahead as ian has started his new buisness so if we go it wont be till end of sept but im not fussed about that at least its better than england even if it rains.
thanks again ladies love sue xx

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 08:39:37 PM »
Sue, I know just how you feel. Maybe we should introduce him to my dad??!!

I have  had a similar problem from a different angle. Since I have had the house, you would be surprised at the number of people who have come out of the woodwork and suggested they could come to Arillas with me. I too feel really selfish and know how lucky I am to have a house there.....BUT I haven't spent out all this money and accrued all this debt to spend precious holiday time (when I have a nightmare job over here that torments me to death) with people I would never even think of going on holiday with. I also have my own little routines over there...start every day with a swim at the Rainbow, then as much of the day as possible at the far end of the beach. Then a lovely meal in the evening and a fair amount of alcohol with my local friends. that is what it is about for me. I don't want to spend my time driving people all round the island and fitting in with what they want to do....
 I'm bringing 3 friends with me on Tuesday....lovely people....but I'm already worrying....they won't want to be on the beach all day.....they won't want to drink retsina all evening....

So how selfish is that?
Sandy x

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 08:58:05 PM »
have a fab time sandy x,,,,say hi to jimmy & spiro, and all ............yammas

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 09:03:10 PM »
No worries kevin....I have no doubt it will be great...will cetainly say hello to them all for you. Hope to see you again next year.
Sandy x

riggers

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 09:04:50 PM »
Yes hope you have great time Sandy.

Yammas

riggers...

Offline sue

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 10:09:05 PM »
thanks for all your replies.
you dont sound selfish sandy
have a great holiday xx

Offline annie

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 11:24:38 PM »
Sandy
i dont think you are selfish just realistic? Hope it all goes well for you next week and dosen't spoil what you look forward too
Annie

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 12:42:32 AM »
That's not selfish Sandy - there's three of them to keep themselves amused. You haven't a selfish bone in your body.

And Sue, I so understand how you feel - years ago now we had to see all four of our oldfolks off and sometimes it seemed just too much. We never took them away with us, but mine lived with us for several years. We had to draw the line as to how much we did together for the sake of our then, young family. Take the advice and don't feel guilty....

Phil

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 01:20:16 AM »
Thanks everyone.....I know I will have a great time as always. Think I may tell them it's a house rule that we all have to swim 50 lengths at the Rainbow before breakfast.....and keeping on that positive vein, I can put Jo's name on the insurance and she can drive me up that hill if I have one retsina too many....

Sorted!
Sandy x

Offline Diane x

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 11:22:53 AM »
I don't think you are being selfish, just thinking of yourself first and whats wrong with looking out for number 1 ?As a wife,mother,sister, daughter or friend how many times can you remember where you came first,not many we usually come last don't we ! As your children grow older you have more time as a couple, on holiday especially. The one time you can enjoy yourself away from everyday life has got to be on holiday and I think thats one of the things I enjoy most, leaving everday life behind.

BTW had a bombshell dropped on us this weekend and it has been very emotional, but now I have been on Arillas.com and read some posts and banter I am feeling a little cheered up !

Booking.com