Author Topic: Indepentently or Package?  (Read 183902 times)

Offline Donpipez

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
Re: Indepentently or Package?
« Reply #210 on: June 02, 2016, 10:26:09 AM »
I mentioned in an earlier thread that this Year will be our first booking independently and for the two of us found it more expensive than previous Years when booking through Thomsons (Albeit for a prime position on the seafront)

Last night we bit the bullet & booked the Mathraki again for 2017 - Just over £1500 for 4 of us from Doncaster first two weeks in July - At roughly £380 each I think this is a steal and £80 cheaper each than we paid for exactly the same holiday in July 2014 - plus as Doncaster is our local much easier for travelling (Although flight times aren't great)

Mick - our 22yr Old Son & his girlfriends are joining us for their 2nd visit - I'm sure you will have more Family time to come........

Neil & Jill

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #211 on: June 02, 2016, 11:26:12 AM »
We have booked the Mathraki for end of July next year (I also have to do school holidays due to working in a school)
It came out cheaper with Thomsons than booking independently but like some people have said, they don't mind paying extra to get the exact holiday that suits them.
Swings and roundabouts for everyone...

Suzy X

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #212 on: June 02, 2016, 01:45:48 PM »
Hi Neil Jill

We have booked  the Mathraki Sept 2017 from Gatwick via Thomson for 2 weeks at a cost of £800 ( for 2).
This also includes transfers although we still have a taxi.

Was thinking going independent, but after looking at the cost of September  2016 flights it seemed cheaper to remain with Thomson

Geoff
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Offline Val n Bill

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #213 on: June 02, 2016, 02:11:28 PM »

As previously mentioned on the forum the Mathraki is going independent next year, but Thomsons are still selling holidays there. Thomsons contracts are made at the beginning of 2017 but Akis is only going to contract out eight rooms out of all sixteen to them for next year so regular customers will still have a choice.  I presume that if all goes well they might go fully independent. We wish them good luck, and know that we will have many more holidays with the hospitality the Mathraki offers.

When we were there we just over a week ago we picked up the flyers from the bar, the prices are very much the same as other independent places in Arillas, rooms start at 15 euros a night per person in May  upto 35+euros per person at peak season. Very competitive with Thomsons even when factoring in transfers and flights. We would much prefer that the owners received all the profit from their business than the pittance the tour companies pay them.

We are returning to the Mathraki on 13th June this year for two weeks but as many customers have already booked through Thomsons for next year with only eight rooms for sale I think it will be first come first served.

Val x

The love affair continues.

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #214 on: June 02, 2016, 03:02:45 PM »
Val...I agree, it's awful that they receive such a pittance from the tour operators, however, many people visiting Arillas are also on tight budgets especially families with young children and therefore have to book the cheapest option for them.

We always try and support the establishments by using their bar other provisions as often as we can.

Suzy X

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #215 on: June 02, 2016, 03:31:24 PM »
Hi
Have never gone independent, although if Mathraki is going that way its something I would have to seriously  consider.
Always seems a bit daunting to book a holiday and then try to match flights.
Geoff
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #216 on: June 02, 2016, 04:03:06 PM »

Hi Geoff, the best way to book independently is to book your flights when they are first released and then book the accommodation. Flights for next year will be released later this year. Someone on the forum will post the date usually. The earlier you book the cheaper the flight will be.

Akis will take a provisional booking for when you want to visit and change it to suit your flight, he can also arrange transport if you want him to.

Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline Donpipez

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #217 on: June 02, 2016, 04:29:58 PM »
Val

We fully endorse your views on the way Tour Operators treat the Hoteliers.

Before we discovered Arillas we spent a lot of our holiday's in Skiathos (Troulos) and the owner told us he would make a loss on the room bookings if it wasn't for the rental of A/C and what he took in the bar etc.

We also would much rather our money goes straight to Akis & Niko but after the stressful time I had booking flights to match our accommodation this Year I felt this was our best option.

Rest assured we shall spend plenty of Euros whilst in Arillas - Especially as my Son will not see sense and drinks only Strongbow!!!

Neil & Jill

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #218 on: June 02, 2016, 06:47:46 PM »
From what you guys have said it would seem that our independent holiday is not any cheaper than a package but like I said, I would rather do it that way and build the exact holiday I want and also know all the profits go direct to the owners. A lot of places that have gone independent do have the tour operators to be thankful to in the first place though as in the days before trip advisor and unchartered flights it got them onto the map so to speak. The first two times we went to Arillas we went on a package deal with Thomsons.

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #219 on: June 02, 2016, 06:58:39 PM »

Hi Geoff, the best way to book independently is to book your flights when they are first released and then book the accommodation. Flights for next year will be released later this year. Someone on the forum will post the date usually. The earlier you book the cheaper the flight will be.

Akis will take a provisional booking for when you want to visit and change it to suit your flight, he can also arrange transport if you want him to.

Val x

Hi Val
Strangely enough , this year it hasn't quite worked out that way .  Quite a few Ryanair flights are cheaper now than on release , certainly for Portugal . Its the first time I have known it , well the second actually , Jet2 mysteriously did the same a couple of years ago.
If you book  with Easyjet though early and the flight goes down in price they have to give you vouchers for the difference to use at a later date
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #220 on: June 02, 2016, 08:58:53 PM »
Hi Val n Bill

All sounds easy, but after  you have  booked your flight and you cant match to your accommodation, it no doubt will cost a lot to change your flight.

We do not travel light, 25 kilo each, and all the extras budget airlines charge  for hold luggage etc I'm not sure if it would be an  economical choice in many cases.

I can understand the owners wanting a better financial deal but I would have thought Thomson (or whoever) need the owners as much the owners need them. If all the owners, through their local trade organisation, in such a small place as Arillas, refused to deal at non economic prices then the operators would have to deal, or walk away.
Geoff

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #221 on: June 02, 2016, 09:20:28 PM »

Hi Geoff, the best way to book independently is to book your flights when they are first released and then book the accommodation.

I agree totally with booking flights first. Even if your preferred accommodation isn't available for those dates, you can always find somewhere else ( - especially now that most are on booking.com), and as far as we're concerned, as long as it's in Arillas, that's all that matters. If you book your accommodation first, you can then end up paying through the nose for flights to fit.

Offline Steph ~

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #222 on: June 02, 2016, 09:27:49 PM »
I think it depends where you want to stay.  We booked our 2017 accommodation last year before even going out there in July and struggled for dates - so I'd say if you have a place in mind, and it's popular, then book that first, then the flights when they come out.  Yes flight times can change but hopefully the days won't and some places will let you overbook days for a little flexibility.   As for it being daunting to do it independently, maybe it is the first time, but once you've done it it's ok, especially if you use the same people each year.  It's just like going home! :-)

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #223 on: June 03, 2016, 10:46:08 AM »
We generally always go the first two weeks of the Summer holidays and provisionally book with our apt owners give or take a couple of days then book Easyjeg flights as SOON as they come out in Oct. last year was a bit of a nightmare because as usual I was waxing lyrical
About the place and a work colleague booked for exactly 2 weeks after me based on my provisional dates. When
Flights came out I had to
Book the mon rather than the Friday so lost out on a few nights was gutted! Hence booking for 16 nights this year! I have already booked July 2017! Moral
Of the story, if anyone asks at work say Arillas is awful lol

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #224 on: June 03, 2016, 12:45:58 PM »
Hi
Just as a matter of interest I looked at booking.com for apartments in Arillas for June 7th 2017 for two weeks to see what sort of availability there is.
June is the latest date you can book for on the site.
They had Alex Studios with 2 rooms available.
Dimitra Studios with rooms available. No number mentioned.
Arillas Studios full.
Anna Studios with 2 rooms left.

Not a great number of choices. Thought I would see   a lot more.

Still thinking of the pro and cons of going independent. Already booked our holidays for 2017 with Thomson in Corfu and Arillas  so no problem

Geoff

Booking.com