Author Topic: excess luggage=£s  (Read 23191 times)

Offline kevin.g

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
excess luggage=£s
« on: June 27, 2008, 08:22:25 AM »
not there at the airport yet ,but just know it,s going to cost me in excess as it does every year,my neice ,got done for £90 yesterday,last year me,£75,...the airlines now just seem to screw you for every penny ,they.ll be charging to use the loo on the plane next, lol,have any of you,s been caught out this year so far...yammas

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
Re: excess luggage=£s
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 10:09:01 AM »
We saw a couple at Birmingham in May and they were taking that much they were asked to pay £200+ The floor looked like a jumble sale as they tried to reduce the load.

Think the Kitchen sink was in there amongst the garden tools.   lol

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 02:54:22 PM »
I can't argue that we make money from it but for example if every passenger on one of our full flights to Corfu was 10KG over the limit the plane would be over max take off weight and we would have to leave bags behind, there is method to the madness.

If you know you will be overweight you can sometimes buy extra from the airline beforehand, call them you will find it much cheaper than being stung at checkin.

Offline Melissa_x

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 03:47:56 PM »
I had a 'heavy bag' last year but they didnt charge us, that was with Thomson but Ive heard that theyre allot stricter so Im gonna try and cut down on my luggage. What I dont understand is - why dont they charge if you're overweight?? It the same thing, its still gonna cost more in fuel because of the heavier load. Dont mean to start an argument but its kinda unfair. My excess baggage could weigh the same as some obese person?? :S
TOO excited for my long awaited return to Arillas - Sept 2016!! :-D

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 04:26:53 PM »
You are simply not allowed to differentiate people by size, yes it probably is unfair.

Considering the amount of kiddies on most charter flights the average size though does stay pretty constant.

The baggage also goes in a different area to the passengers and is carfeully loaded as not to tip the plane while on the ground so it does have to conform to strict standards.

Offline graham

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 07:07:38 PM »
I had a 'heavy bag' last year but they didnt charge us, that was with Thomson but Ive heard that theyre allot stricter so Im gonna try and cut down on my luggage. What I dont understand is - why dont they charge if you're overweight?? It the same thing, its still gonna cost more in fuel because of the heavier load. Dont mean to start an argument but its kinda unfair. My excess baggage could weigh the same as some obese person?? :S
I am so not going to be able to afford so many holidays if they take this advice on board Melissa!!! LOL
A woman has the last word in any argument, anything a man says after that is the start of a new argument!

riggers

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 09:41:34 PM »
I've often wondered why the hotels don't invest in some sort of scales and charge you to weigh your suitcase. If under weight you could buy more goodies to put in. I am obsessed with my suitcase being overweight when retuning home. I keep lifting it up and putting it back down. I always seem to be around the 19kg mark though, luckily thomsons is 20kg.

riggers...

Offline briant

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 10:29:24 PM »
Went with flights direct this year.Did,nt notice the Baggage Allowance had been reduced from 20 to 15 kgs.Cost us £80 the price of our return Taxi toArillas.Best advise read the small print

Marymary

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 12:34:01 PM »

It would be cruel to charge someone extra because they are overweight! I'm due to fly out in September and have paid £17.50 to Thomson for an extra 5kg. My case going out is usually just about 20kg or under, it 's just so I can bring goodies back  as I was charged £52 excess baggage charge a couple of years ago

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 04:01:42 PM »
I am glad we have both lost a few lbs then Melissa, then we can get more in our bags :-)
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline sue

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 05:07:13 PM »
I am glad we have both lost a few lbs then Melissa, then we can get more in our bags :-)
[/quote

same here sue.glad i have lost a few  pounds :)

Offline harold

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 07:37:11 PM »
Right i get to Corfu airport my bags are weighed and i am right on the 20k limit,hand luggage is ok.I then go through to duty free and buy loads of stuff and the total weight of the stuff i have just bought is 10kilo ,i walk onto the plane with a big grin on my face as i have not had to pay extra.
Do we start to go down this line and stop supporting shops in resort,just because the airlines and airports have decided to make some more easy money out of us,I wonder??
Harold,
Theres only one Altrincham FC

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 01:56:26 AM »
I understand your point Harold but it would be a bit worrying for me if everyone did this and compromised the safety of other flyers, all for the sake of saving a few quid on booze/fags etc...like Joe has said, these rules are there for a reason, albeit mainly financial gain for the airlines no doubt.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 02:22:55 AM »
Good debate Jo and Harold. None of us really know the answer. We all go through this process.

Harold - I identify with you exactly.

stop supporting shops in resort,just because the airlines and airports have decided to make some more easy money out of us

The new rules on hand baggage are not about terrorism they are about profiteering.

Speed cameras, smoking bans etc are nothing more than cash cows. It is why jen and me are leaving rip off britain behind.

We cannot believe that our Corfiot friends will ever be driven into these sorts of things.
Phil

Offline harold

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2008, 11:12:00 AM »
I would not want to stop shopping in resort,the owners i class as friends,we only buy a couple of bottles anyway and tobbaco is not a problem we dont smoke.
What i am saying is it makes a farce of weight restrictions if you can then buy loads of stuff in duty free and carry it all on board.
Also why is the allowances being reduced from 20k + hand luggage,to 15k + hand luggage other than for greed.
Harold,
Theres only one Altrincham FC

Booking.com