Author Topic: Arillas Today  (Read 3101516 times)

Offline Eileen

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
Re: Arillas Today
« Reply #3495 on: December 16, 2009, 12:46:50 AM »
Next problem being, where do we put all this excess soil?

Cheers
Negg

LOL....not in my back yard please!!

Eileenxxx

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #3496 on: December 16, 2009, 12:50:00 AM »
Negg....you could transport that soil by donkey to my track and use it to build up the bit at the bottom of the driveway.....wouldn't take you long and I reckon you could have it finished in time for Christmas......
Sandy x

Offline sharonF

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3497 on: December 16, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »
Loved the report Negg, poor little Homer! Megg just doesnt want to share her mum and dad, lol.   The cats are gorgeous, thanks for the photos, is Homer all healed now?

Sharon x

Offline BBB

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #3498 on: December 16, 2009, 09:29:20 PM »
We had to drive through that storm yesterday morning to the airport. What a deluge and so scary in the dark with sheet lightening lighting up the sky. The flight to Athens was delayed by an hour due to the bad weather. But we had a fair journey with some turbulence although the crew had to abandon serving food and drinks.

Having spent our first half-winter, I can confirm what everyone told us is true, that Corfu is very wet!! When it rains, it really rains and for days. There is so much water with no where to go, with the clay soil.
It's a small price to pay for the mild, sunny days when you can still be outside until sunset. Back in three weeks.

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
« Reply #3499 on: December 17, 2009, 08:10:39 AM »
But we had a fair journey with some turbulence although the crew had to abandon serving food and drinks.

That must of been quite a turbulence! Thank you for the report and happy holidays  :)
Life is good ;)

Maggie

« Reply #3500 on: December 17, 2009, 11:03:45 AM »
BBB glad to see you made it back safely! On Tues, I was in Corfu town, we came back by bus to Sidari. I have NEVER seen anything like it!!!! The road into Sidari (coming from Arillas/Kavvadades) was like a river. The water was at least a foot deep all the way along that raod. The properties opposite Diellas were full of water.It was very scary. Gordon came to collect us in Sidari, and the round trip took 2 hours. Lots of landslides caused problems, and that was before he got to the 'river'.
It's a side of Corfu I've never seen before......

Offline BBB

« Reply #3501 on: December 17, 2009, 12:49:06 PM »
Oh my goodness Maggie! You won't want to go out in the bad weather again!! I see a few more rainy days on the forecast.
We are enjoying our "holiday" back in the UK and luckily here on the south coast the weather isn't too bad, just a litle cold but sunny. We are making the most of it, having had our first Ocado grocery delivery and preparing to hit the shops and meet up for Christmas drinks with friends. There's a lot of things we all take for granted living in the UK and I am having a lovely time. You should have seen me in M&S Food Shop at Gatwick Airport :D

Though I shall soon start to miss all the things in Arillas.

riggers

« Reply #3502 on: December 17, 2009, 02:48:38 PM »
Crikey i didn't realise it was that bad. Hope you got your track/drive/path sorted out Negg.

riggers.

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #3503 on: December 17, 2009, 04:40:40 PM »
The track is a problem John.

This was a photo we took from the top of the bank showing, what was left of, our drive up to the house.

This one was the first collapse. The JCB has now cleared it. It doesn't look much but he took 4 scoops to give us our access back.

Here's a close up of it.

And this little tinker shows one of our neighbours Olive trees ready to topple at some point. - ( It's supposed to be straight! )

Finally... But just for now as I think there will be more to come. Any repairs etc can't even be considered at the moment as it's far too wet. People tell me it's the wettest Winter for many a year. - B****R.

These soil banks are collapsing all around North Corfu and Sidari was "flooded" Tuesday, so we were told. A good 2 foot of water in some places. The road into Sidari looked closed this morning. The drive from Kavadades to Arillas,Sidari and Armenades involves avoiding small rivers and "MUD ON ROAD" Mud being an under statement.
Oh , I forgot quite a few trees have come down as well.
Still raining now at 4:40 pm.

And Arillas Today ? - Well by April next year no one will ever know how much work has to be done during the Winter to turn it back from an angry Tiger to a pussycat.
We'll need a holiday by then, as well, I think.

Be Well everyone.
Negg

Offline Alan and Jan

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #3504 on: December 17, 2009, 06:22:46 PM »
Strewth Negg makes what we have over here pale into insignificance. Mind you snow is forecast.
Truly hope you can get everything sorted soonest and you get your walls built to prevent further mishaps.
Bytheway has anymore of the cliff collapsed on the track over to San Stefanos?
Alan and Jan

Eight letters, three words one meaning- Take That

Offline Alan and Jan

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #3505 on: December 17, 2009, 06:26:14 PM »
Strewth Negg makes what we have over here pale into insignificance. Mind you snow is forecast.
Truly hope you can get everything sorted soonest and you get your walls built to prevent further mishaps.
Bytheway has anymore of the cliff collapsed on the track over to San Stefanos?

Double posting SOZ
Alan and Jan

Eight letters, three words one meaning- Take That

Offline BBB

« Reply #3506 on: December 17, 2009, 06:27:06 PM »
I hope you've got your cupboards well stocked Eggy and Maggie.
Of course another factor with the rain and storms are the regular power cuts. Every evening as soon as it gets dark, we light a candle just in case we're plunged into darkness. In the morning the first thought is whether the power is on for that first cup of tea. We have a camping gaz stove just in case. A few nights ago we had a 4 hour power cut due to a pole down and some days it keeps going off and on. During the storms which seem to rumble on for days we have to turn off the TV and the modem, even with power protecters, which don't stop lightening strikes.
Lets hope the weather eases up soon.

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #3507 on: December 17, 2009, 07:08:00 PM »
Neill, the driveway at that angle looks far more serious than the picture Wendy sent me. Good luck!!
Sandy x

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #3508 on: December 17, 2009, 07:09:32 PM »
I thought last winter was the wettest on record.....
Sandy x

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #3509 on: December 17, 2009, 07:50:14 PM »
So sorry to see your nightmare Eggy. Jen and me have all our fingers crossed that the weather eases up to let you get it sorted.

love to both (well all four these days)
Phil

Booking.com