Author Topic: Arillas Today  (Read 3101496 times)

Offline Peckedhen

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Super Member {over 100 posts}
Re: Arillas Today
« Reply #2520 on: December 25, 2008, 04:19:25 PM »
Thank you for taking the time today  Neil.

Have a super Christmas.

Sue

Offline Sara

• Forum Fanatic
    • www.villatheia-corfu.com
« Reply #2521 on: December 26, 2008, 03:53:49 PM »
What a great reporter arillas.com has. Photos even on Christmas Day. Really enjoyed them Negg & Wegg. Hope you enjoyed your well deserved dram or two.

Happy New Year to you both.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #2522 on: December 26, 2008, 05:21:22 PM »
Like Craig Revel Horward, all I can say is FAB-U-LOUS. NINE!!!

love to Wegg and Megg.
Phil

Offline Wendy n Stu

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #2523 on: December 26, 2008, 06:18:26 PM »
Can't believe how much Megg has grown!  Glad Wendy is home safe and sound and thank you both for a heart warming Christmas Day report.  Hope you had a wonderful day.  Love & Best Wishes to you.  Will be in touch again soon.  W & S. xx

Offline MaryH

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2524 on: December 27, 2008, 04:16:53 PM »
Eggy,
Thanks for your brill Christmas day photos, makes me homesick , your kitten is so so cute
happy New year
Mary

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #2525 on: January 03, 2009, 04:58:40 PM »
New Year greetings from a wet "Arillas Today"

A very quiet Arillas this afternoon and raining when I took these. But, with the temp  still around that 12 deg it's not too cold for a walk along the beach, using the slight breeze, to blow away those lethargic cobwebs.
But it would take a braver man than me to stand on the jetty!

Cheers All
Negg

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #2526 on: January 03, 2009, 05:53:17 PM »
Thanks for taking the time Eggy. Just love the pictures of Arillas on January 3rd...

It is such a shame we have a "closed season." Holidays are not only made from hot summer sun - I would be there today in the rain and on the beach, and probably take a dip in the sea (with no clothes on of course, most of you know that already.) But some places would have to be open to get us there. We already have Amourada and Akti, others may follow if the flights were available. Our Corfiot mates need their winter holidays, and work their socks off all summer, but I expect they could do with an extension to the money they earn.

Some people go ski-ing in the winter, why not our place? (mind you we might be a bit short on ski-ing in Arillas....) Corfu has lost the plot - their winter season could be so attractive to so many. But it shuts itself down. I have never understood why. Perhaps someone can explain it to me. Not the history whicj I know, but the WHY?

Phil

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
« Reply #2527 on: January 04, 2009, 02:36:29 PM »
Hi Phil,
I have also wondered why. It seems to me that warm rain and a bit of bad weather compared to the normal season is much better than the grey miserable cold here in th U.K.
Arillas is still good for walking and socializing and I bet the Mythos tastes just the same!
I did look at getting there 'overland' for the off season period, but like the aircraft, they are few and far between. Many stop their services in October leaving only the longer routes which are not frequent. We need a Sea Plane, like 'Fantasy Island' we can all hop on at a place on the coast near where you live in the U.K. and then get off at the jetty in Arillas.
Nice dream!
Yammas,
Martin.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #2528 on: January 04, 2009, 05:38:13 PM »
Thanks Martin. And yes, I am also sure the Mythos tastes the same. But like you say, the walks, the beach (even after it's pasting by the weather - I would love to help with the clear up) the people, the cooking there is so much for us to enjoy ... ah I could go on and on. 

The whole issue is travelling there - the airlines the ferries and Corfu's leaders keep us away in the winter. Perhaps it is intentional. But when you hear how hard and difficult life has become over there (even worse than here) you have to wonder why?

Phil

Offline MaryH

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2529 on: January 04, 2009, 05:54:13 PM »
Arilas in the winter seems far more appealing than winter here. It would be intersting to see how life is there in the Winter time. I think the walks would be better as the temperature is cooler. I was knackered in September walking to San Georges in the blistering heat, well worth it though for a lovely cool swim. Here's to the coming season

Take Care
Mary

Offline Paul C

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #2530 on: January 05, 2009, 07:16:15 PM »
I agree with you, it would be lovely to over winter in Arillas, but what about the accommodation owners, surely they deserve a break and maybe a holiday. Also when would they "spruce up" their properties if we're all there cluttering up the place. Nice thought though.

Offline MaryH

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2531 on: January 05, 2009, 10:37:57 PM »
Yes you're right Paul the accomodation owners do need their time, to holiday and spruce up for the coming season. any way only a few months away and the season starts

Take Care
Mary

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #2532 on: January 09, 2009, 05:35:31 PM »

It is such a shame we have a "closed season." Holidays are not only made from hot summer sun - I would be there today in the rain and on the beach, and probably take a dip in the sea Phil

Phil , As Paul says " It's a nice thought "
Two other issues to bear in mind are the tremendous work locals put in, picking all the olives and also that many Appts are not geared up to "Winter Living".

It's been a very wet Winter here , so far, and yesterday we notched yet another 30mm of rain. Arillas Today is a little drier, albeit a little late afternoon drizzle, and we are around 12 deg at about 5:30.
( We did get a minus something the other morning )

Arillas beach may look a twinge fierce here but it looks and feels pretty peaceful close up.

And .... looking down from the Kavadaddes/Afionas "Border" aint that bad either.

Cheers All
Negg

Offline patrickjohn

• Lincolnshire Yellow Belly
  • ARILLIAC
  • PJM
« Reply #2533 on: January 09, 2009, 06:44:16 PM »
Thanks for the new pictures, Eggy, they convey very well the feeling of a resort in winter.  I was brought up at Cleethorpes and it was a completely different place in the winter, just as Arillas changes when the season is over, so did my home town.
Despite the odd minus temperature at night though, and plentiful rain, I think you've chosen a super place to settle down - please keep up the good work of giving us all a taste of the 'other' Arillas.

Best wishes
Pat

My book"A Policemance Tale" at Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B8BD9MWM

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
« Reply #2534 on: January 09, 2009, 06:50:00 PM »
Looking good rain or shine! Thank you Eggy :)
Life is good ;)

Booking.com