Author Topic: Mozzies in October  (Read 12464 times)

Offline Cheryl2307

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
Mozzies in October
« on: October 04, 2006, 02:03:53 PM »
Hello, I know there is a lot on here about mozzies but I'm trying to find out if they are as bad in October as during the summer.  Does anybody know?  I need to get my daughter on piriton before we go if they are still a big problem at this time of year.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Cheryl O

Offline corfu2002

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
Re: Mozzies in October
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 03:36:46 PM »
HI,Cheryl,sorry have no idea how bad they are in oct.I'm sure somebody who has been in Oct,Will let you Know Soon.Have a great Holiday.

Offline alyvin

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 03:48:41 PM »
Hi
I've just returned from Alykes on Zante (needed a Sunday flight) and only got a couple of bites. I normally get bitten++. Apparently Alykes is usually overrun with mosquitos, so although its not Corfu I should imagine you would be OK.
I actually bought a Bite Zapper from Superdrug and used that with good effect. I am not sure exactly how it works but I usually have to take antihistamine tablets and use hydrocortisone cream but the bites I zapped did not swell or become itchy. Probably worth a go if you get local allergic reactions to bites. If you do get one to try let me know if it works for you.

Offline Cheryl2307

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 11:18:06 AM »
Thank you both for your replies.  Out of the three of us, it's only my daughter who gets bitten - which seems to be the case with most families.  I'll buy one of those zapper things and will let you know if she needs it!
Cheryl O

Offline sinbads little girl

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 10:08:31 AM »
they were realy bad in september i would start the piriton asap get some garlic tablest and vit b1 take them before you go and while your there i found out the tea tree oil takes the stick away but it doesn't wor for all it worked for e and my mum. you can get this at superdrug or wilkos its called tea tree oil spot stick but the it doesnt just work for spots try luv little miss

Offline Cheryl2307

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 11:54:19 AM »
Thanks, little miss!  Will get her on Piriton today and buy one of those tea tree things!  It was the itching that 'did her head in'!!  Hopefully, she'll not suffer too much if I also buy the zapper thing suggested.
Cheryl O

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 02:00:25 PM »
it helps i hate the itching we all got bite more this year than before and we usually go early summer but went late this year. id try anything that help it worth it. try stay away from the restaurants with trees and flowers around them. hope you have a nice Holiday luv little miss

Offline Cheryl2307

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 02:04:17 PM »
Thank you so much!  I'm sure we'll have a great time!

C
xx
Cheryl O

Offline alyvin

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 03:00:18 PM »
Hi Cheryl
You don't actually say how old your daughter is but as well as piriton try some hydrocortisone 1% cream (available over the counter in chemists). Hydrocortisone is a steroid cream and is an antiinflammatory. It stops the itching and therefore the histamine (allergic response) in the body. Scratching the bite causes more histamine release in the body which in turn causes more itching- a vicious cycle. I know you may be reluctant to use a steroid cream on your daughter but children with eczema are treated with steroids in much higher doses, it is safe to use short term.

Offline Cheryl2307

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 03:13:48 PM »
She's almost 18 so not a child at all really!!  I'll get some because she's a bugger for scratching!  Bet you now, when I get all this stuff she doesn't get one bite!  Thanks again!
Cheryl O

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006, 05:53:38 PM »
u can never stop the bites but you can the itching also in asda they have some bands that repel mozzies im not sure of the name as i no longer have them my mum does but everything is worth try at least once, it wirks for some but no others but its worth a try have a good hoilday luv little miss

Offline steve3456

• http://www.caravanhire.org
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2006, 07:18:21 PM »
just got back from arillas about 2 hours ago and we both got eaten alive you need to take all possible precautions but above all else don't let the mozzies spoil your holiday we had a fantastic time and we will booking to return next year we stayed at the Kaloudis village i will be writing all about that in another topic

Offline Cheryl2307

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2006, 01:31:10 PM »
Cheers Steve - thanks for info and glad you had a good time!  My turn next week!
Cheryl O

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2006, 10:41:10 PM »
Have a great holiday Cheryl. Very jealous!!Who are you going with? Are you married?

Offline Mick and Jill

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2006, 11:48:20 PM »
Hi we also got back last night.  Couldnt believe how many mossies were waiting to attack while we were boarding the plane.  Must have got an extra 6 bites easily.  The Pilot even commented on the extra unwelcome passengers he was carrying back to Newcastle.  Mick thought he was so clever not getting any bites during the week but they did catch up with him at the airport.

Never mind its all worth it for a week in our favourite place, countdown now on till May.

Jill
Jill XXX

Booking.com