Author Topic: Mozzies in October  (Read 12463 times)

Offline sue

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Mozzies in October
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2006, 03:54:25 PM »
we went 11th sept
i didnt see many mossies but loads of wasps
i didnt get bit  and my hubby didnt either
im so glad
hopefull in may it will be the same
fingers crossed

Offline sinbads little girl

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2006, 06:36:18 PM »
sue you must of been one of the lucky ones we was there from the 4th to the 18th of september and all of us were bit and lots of people we meet was just as bad luv little miss

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2006, 03:11:38 PM »
The Arillas Mozzie is now getting smarter! - I believe they have now learnt that buzzing before a strike can severely damage their lifespan. They have also taking to climbing as well as flying. How else can you be stung just above the knee in the evening when wearing long trousers? I think they use the hairs on your legs as rungs of a ladder climb up, feast as then freefall back down. They have also been "working out" down the local Mozzie Gym to strenthen their stabber. How else do they get through socks?
Or do they attack us during the day as well ? - Perhaps there are other little "Bitey Things" we don't know about.
So don't go out in the evening in shorts & T.Shirt or strapless dress. This applies to the ladies as well.
You may look good but you're a walking meal.
Change your perfume or after shave for a good mozzie repellent and wear light clothing. Use repellants during the day. Mix it with sun tan lotion.
Regards the Wasps. A little annoying but I don't think they are as annoying as the English ones. I did not meet anyone who had been stung by one. Maybe Greek Wasps are a little more laid back.
" Shall we sting anyone today?? - Nah let's do it tomorrow."
We've just come back from Arillas by the way and I'm still scratching my neck courtesy of the mozzie that caught me while I was boarding the plane. Probably revenge as he noticed I'd wacked most of his family going up the steps.
Regards
Negg

Offline Eileen

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2006, 03:21:26 PM »
Negg,

That was sooo funny.  It's so good to have a laugh on a dreich day like today. :-)

Maybe next time you could try shaving your legs to stop them climbing up your trouser legs! :o

Eileenx

Offline Mick and Jill

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2006, 03:44:17 PM »
Eileen I shaved my legs and the little blighters still managed to climb up and bite the tops of my legs.

There are little black flies which I refer to as the ankle biters, the mark they leave looks just like a mosquito bite and there are always loads of them around the beach.

I put a jumper on today to try and stop myself scratching the bites on the tops of my arms that I also received while boarding the plane but it hasn't worked.  I can feel the huge lumps under my jumper and the jumper is irritating them, why do they stay itchy so long

Jill
Jill XXX

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2006, 04:10:55 PM »
Negg - loved your post, made me giggle!!

Talking of gnat bites, i have been bitten 6 times in various places on Monday night whilst asleep, and that was in Essex!!!  I reckon because the weather has been so mild theyre hanging around, but its annoying because the whole summer i never got one and none in Spain either and then mid October i get 6!!!!!!!!  Whats all that about i ask you??!!

Offline jan-c

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2006, 06:34:41 PM »
Negg you post was so funny , nothing seems to work for me i just  seem to be  a permanent mossie attractant and they take months to heal , hubby said im like a dot to dot book

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2006, 08:52:22 PM »
Makes me laugh.  Every year spend a fortune at Duty Free on my new 'holiday' perfume then end up with 'eau de Autan' every night!

Offline sinbads little girl

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2006, 09:24:30 PM »
negg that post made me laugh i had to read it twice and then show my mum to check i wasn't seeing thing thanks for a laugh luv little miss

Offline Cheryl2307

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2006, 01:41:35 PM »
Back at work now - got home last night!  Had a brill time and am a very grumpy bunny today!  I hate work!

Well, you were all right - they were as bad as ever.  I bought everything I could - suncream and aftersun with it in, some spray thing that was 50% deet, a zapper (but that got used more by my son to make me jump - what is in them things???) Once again, only my daughter got bitten and she says that they've stopped buzzing too cos she got two bites on her eyelid!  Me thinks if she'd got up a bit earlier she would have been ok!  They didn't manage to spoil anything though they tried very hard!

Jo - I'm divorced and have been happily travelling with only my two young uns (17 and 14 now!!) for years.  Best holiday buddies I've ever had!
Cheryl O

Offline sheila

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2006, 03:43:22 PM »
Just like to say we were in Arillas 4-18 September and not only did we get bitten by mozzies I also got stung by a wasp when we were on  the moped. We took all the precautions wrist band ,b1 and sprays and creams and plugs for the room and still the buggers got us!!
SHEILA

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2006, 04:44:15 PM »
Neggy's posting was very funny, he is very clever with words me thinks!

Now I know why I had so many around my legs this year, the worst ever I have been bitten in going to Greece.  It must be the 'ankle biters', in the sand.  Dont know what to do about them for next year, any ideas?
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2006, 06:31:27 PM »
I havent a clue either, do you think they'll be as bad at the beginning of the season??

Also have you ever wondered why Greek people dont get bit, whats their secret??!

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2006, 08:13:26 PM »
Hi. There are mozzies in October! I hope Viv`s having a good Birthday, as I am about to have an ouzo on her behalf! We are sitting in Brouklis, and have just had a lovely stuffed pork roll, white wine and sweet to come. So I am doing my best Viv. The weather has been fab, and the hospitality in Arillas A1 as always. Look forward to seeing you all next time in Arillas. We only booked a flight on Sunday 10 pm, arrived here about 5pm Monday. Bfn and will be in touch again soon. Lindypops. p.s. Bottoms up Viv xx
Lindypops.

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2006, 09:13:52 PM »
Mozzies..ohhh yes having just returned I observed some mighty bites..but as we all know they are selective in choosing who they latch on to..Also there are certain flies,particularly a small beast with a brown & greenish body that can also bite! as my wife can testify...(A small price to pay).....nice to have a running commentry on life as it goes on in Arillas.

Booking.com