Arillas Today

Started by Eggy, August 08, 2007, 04:30:35 PM

justphil

Wow blondegirl - Jen is not up to long walks and it's a while since we went up there. Can't believe it's down to single file!

Guess as things change we'll all have to adjust. We for two won't let any of that stop us going or eventually living there in NW Corfu.

Thanks for the update - we'll make the effort to have a look when we're over.

philandjen

riggers

Yes those pegs did seem to be a waste of time. I'm sure everyone could see the cliff splitting away.
Riggers..

blondegirl

I dont know if it is single file as yet but if any more falls away it could well end up like that.  When I walked up in July last year I kept very close to the fencing.  But people will be up and down that all day so it should still be ok.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

riggers

I was up there in June and then October, thats when it really seemed to have got bad!!!

Baldy Barry

Wonder if this lump has fell off yet.
This was in September.
Hope I don't burn !

blondegirl

That looks like a huge piece to come off.  Hope no one is underneath.

Lindypops

Some nice pictures, though a bit scary. I don`t think I `ll venture up that way again. Oh yes Eggy, it`s good to get some wind through your hair on a blowy day. Keeps away the cobwebs. Have a good day.
Lindypops.

Smiffypink

I dread to think if anyone is or was close by when that fell or falls, thats a big old lump of rock!!

Sandy x

And yet people still choose to sunbathe right under it. Last year I couldn't believe it as I walked past....a couple were taking up their "pitch" for the day.....right next to the notice saying beware of falling rocks. In fact the man even had his T shirt hanging on the notice!!!
Sandy x

Eggy

You lot of 'ole worriers you !!

This recent spell of bad weather here has caused quite a few "land movements" and yet another small part of our bank has collapsed. That 's what is does here in the sometimes heavy rain type winter days.

The summer is a different kettle of fish entirely. The clay, which not only forms part of the rock formations in Arillas, but also surrounding areas like Kavvadades, becomes rock hard. To try and dig into it is a chore I've attempted many times.
So don't worry about the summer and enjoy. I haven't heard of anyone being buried there in all the years I've visited and, should heavy rains be about, then we won't be on the beach at the time. - Will we??
( Hope I'm not tempting fate here )

Wegg, brave lady she is too, promises to walk up the cliff path and click some pics to see how it's handling nature.

It's a wet Arillas today and I've just driven home to one cracker of a rainstorm!
Poor visability through windscreen  and the excess water is making it's own road channels for drainage so a few more "dips" appearing at various intervals along the sides of the road..
You probably won't see them from May onwards as they will be repaired.

Anyway, you can see a wet Arillas on the webcam so how about a photo, taken yesterday a.m. about 9 ish on the way to Corfu Town.?

Taken at that "long downward straight" just after Troumpetta. You could almost be forgiven for thinking all that mist could be the sea.

Finally. The Marina has definately got a swimming pool planned for May this year. That's the info I have been given this morning and I have spoken, and promised to, ring Olga (Olgas Travel) when she will then take time out to expand on the insurance we have for car hire.

Nearly forgot - Saw Noufris on the "front" and very well he looks too.

Cheers
Negg

Sandy x

The problem in the summer is that when there is rain or a thunderstorm, the cliff becomes very sodden because it is clay. then when it dries out again, there is a risk of it falling....that's what I was told anyway.
Sandy x

dimitris

Mr Eggy!!
I love that picture :)
Dimitris Kourkoulos
Brouklis Str 7
Arillas 49081
Corfu Greece
+30 26630 51418
www.arillas.com
Brouklis Taverna
Learn About what the Locals want you to know while in Arillas

Eggy

Dimitris
Once again the photo taken by the fair hand of Wendy.

Sandy
Don't worry. Would Negg n Wegg let anything awful happen to you and Joyce ??

Negg

Sandy x

But are you two ever at that end of the beach when I'm there needing looking after?
More seriously though....if your bank is experiencing problems with your recent weather I dread to think what ours must be like!!
Sandy x

blondegirl

I love that photo Neggy