Author Topic: Forums over Face book!  (Read 13018 times)

Offline NickBoardman

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
Forums over Face book!
« on: June 22, 2015, 11:13:24 AM »
I ditched Facebook last year, I found it tedious. I had decent conversations with very few, such as Arillas Phil and a local friend who I could speak to in the flesh anyway.  Facebook is also used by people as an excuse to be rude as debate seems to be a dieing art.

I alway dip in out of the Arillas forum, usually 2-3 weeks before I go, however I have over 400 days before my next visit and have enjoyed reading peoples experiences on here. I am now hooked again a year early! The forum reflects the people that makes Arillas what it is and long may it continue.

It is also nice that when you do have differences of opinion on here people respect you too.

I have already read some amazing posts and blogs linked to the site and look forward to many more.

Offline Val n Bill

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Re: Forums over Face book!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 12:24:06 PM »

I quite agree with you Nick, I have never been a fan of FB. One comment can so easily go viral and cause lots of trouble.

Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline Paul D

• Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 04:42:52 PM »
As a Facebook user and one who likes it, I fully respect your right to dislike it.  For me, FB is only as bad as the stuff that is posted there.  So, I choose to look at it in a positive way.  As a medium for debate/discussion, it may not be the best thing. As for keeping in touch with people relatively quickly, it is great.  My list of `friends` are a good bunch, who rarely cause discord and I only post to them and not the general population.
  Belonging to various Corfiot groups (and others) gives me great joy and the groups that I have chosen to be part of, give me a great variety of topics to keep me interested.
 I`ve been on this forum for eight years now and have come to know some great people (who also use FB).  So, to reply to your comment that it is `tedious`, I cannot agree. If FB is only used for the purpose of having fun and not being taken seriously, then I feel you can enjoy it immensely. 
  So, for me, forums and Facebook can operate side by side, albeit each one having differing qualities.
 Thanks for starting this debate.
                                                Yammas, Paul
Arillas - `perfect antidote to life`s stresses and strains`!

Offline Paul Clark

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
    • Pauls Cancer Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 05:19:01 PM »
I use FB & Twitter, both for my own purposes & to run accounts for my rugby club. Yes, you see some idiots on there, but that's the same with any public forum, even dare I say it, here!

The cardinal rule that I try to abide to is not to post if I've had more than a bottle of red as it'll take ages to edit out the typo's.

FB specifically is a great way to keep in touch with folk around the world, I've mates in SA, Australia & Italy, all of who I speak to via FB.

It's also a great way to embarass your kids, errant son is 17 tomorrow, & I'll be posting a pic of him when he was 5 :) All good clean fun.
Follow my journey against throat cancer at  http://paulscancer.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Anne

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
  • Retired and loving it!
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 05:25:04 PM »
I am Admin on the Arillas Addicts site on FB and can honestly say we have never had any discord on there. I always expect people to be respectful of others points of view. I would soon jump on anyone who breaks this simple rule and maybe even delete them from the group. I find FB to be great to be used as an information platform, with occasional humour and not for washing dirty linen. Anne
We were in Arillas for 2 whole months and going again for 2 weeks :-)

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 06:00:39 PM »
Tis all a choice but I never use Facebook as , probably only to me, it seems like a chore. Anyone wanna be nasty about me? Say it on facebook.
However I must be in the minority as many enjoy this way of communication.

I will just stick to the Forum. I am amazed how guys like Anne n Phil , Rachel , Phil n Jen, etc etc find all the time to keep us amused and hold all our interests with their informative postings,blogs, and pictures etc. Plus of course Terry W and others who take the time to put all those links to what we all find useful.
Guys/Gals like this keep all interest alive. Including us non speaking Greek locals. If I wanna know the word on the street , look on the forum.

Tis a nice "little" group we have here and such a mine of information to "newbies" who soon become "olebies"
(Mind you ... Phil was an Old B from the start!! - I can never refuse the chance for a quip or two at someone)

Negg

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 09:13:20 PM »
I'm with you on the FB debate Eggy but as others have said, each to their own and the world would be a boring place if we all liked or disliked the same things. If people enjoy something and it's not hurting anyone then that's fine but I too find FB a chore and once had an unpleasant experience using it.
I'm quite happy just using the forum and I shall continue to enjoy reading everyone's great posts and especially 'up dates' on their holidays. All the blogs, wonderful photos and videos are also greatly appreciated!

Keep on posting Forum Friends!

Suzy X

Offline Paul D

• Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 09:18:39 PM »
Why is Facebook a `chore`?  I don`t understand that comment.   As people have said, each to their own - the one`s who like it won`t consider it that way.

Paul

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 09:44:41 PM »
Like I said Paul D...'I'... find FB a chore for my own personal reasons...sorry if you don't understand the comment but as I also said, if you enjoy FB then that's great!

Suzy X

Offline Paul D

• Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 09:52:46 PM »
Hi, Suzy.  If you like FB, then it`s no `chore` - if you don`t go on there, it`s still not a `chore`.  :-)

Paul

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 10:01:43 PM »
You've got me there Paul...!
I'll just continue not to use FB and then it will never become a chore...to me.

Suzy X 

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 10:36:21 PM »
I was on facebook , for a short while, many years ago. It became , for me a daily routine and then became unpleasant reading a few things that were posted.
It was an unpleaaant chore , for me ,which I chose to chop out.

It suits many but didn't suit me and then became an unpleasant and hard task to close my account.

So , yes a chore at the time, for me, but not any more.

But , as Paul D says , if you enjoy then - I am sure it's not a chore as you go back for more. -  Small rhyme there to lighten the topic.

Cheers
Negg

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 10:41:59 PM »
...and I'm liking the rhyme Negg!

Suzy X

Offline NickBoardman

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 10:37:35 AM »
As a Facebook user and one who likes it, I fully respect your right to dislike it.  For me, FB is only as bad as the stuff that is posted there.  So, I choose to look at it in a positive way.  As a medium for debate/discussion, it may not be the best thing. As for keeping in touch with people relatively quickly, it is great.  My list of `friends` are a good bunch, who rarely cause discord and I only post to them and not the general population.
  Belonging to various Corfiot groups (and others) gives me great joy and the groups that I have chosen to be part of, give me a great variety of topics to keep me interested.
 I`ve been on this forum for eight years now and have come to know some great people (who also use FB).  So, to reply to your comment that it is `tedious`, I cannot agree. If FB is only used for the purpose of having fun and not being taken seriously, then I feel you can enjoy it immensely. 
  So, for me, forums and Facebook can operate side by side, albeit each one having differing qualities.
 Thanks for starting this debate.
                                                Yammas, Paul

It has it uses which you have pointed out perfectly, I think it took over my life a bit so I decided to leave it alone! I do twitter though for promotional tools it's best for that.
Yammas!

Offline NickBoardman

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 10:38:47 AM »
I use FB & Twitter, both for my own purposes & to run accounts for my rugby club. Yes, you see some idiots on there, but that's the same with any public forum, even dare I say it, here!

The cardinal rule that I try to abide to is not to post if I've had more than a bottle of red as it'll take ages to edit out the typo's.

FB specifically is a great way to keep in touch with folk around the world, I've mates in SA, Australia & Italy, all of who I speak to via FB.

It's also a great way to embarass your kids, errant son is 17 tomorrow, & I'll be posting a pic of him when he was 5 :) All good clean fun.

I NEVER type when drinking red, if I do you'll be able to tell! I don't even notice the typos.

Booking.com