Author Topic: Mathraki  (Read 40822 times)

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
Re: Mathraki
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2014, 11:01:15 PM »
Yvonne, welcome to our madhouse. You seem to have been crowded out by the buzz as season gets underway.

You must be both excited and terrified of your first time in Corfu, let alone our little part of it. Arillas is laid back, tolerant and inviting. You will not find anywhere else like it and to enjoy you must be open and say hello, yassou, to everyone. In any case they will say it to you.

Keep posting on here. We can help you have a stress free, and enjoyable first time in a place we all adore.

Phil

Offline ness44

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2014, 10:59:44 AM »
Diane
Last year we used Thomson transfer and we were on a minibus and it only took an hour Max.  Maybe 45 minutes. Thomson price for transer is cheaper than a taxi each way. As it's included in the price I would rather sit a little longer on a bus and have more money to spend when there. We went in the day so got to see some lovely views on the bus. We're going again July 25 this year and will use coach again. If it takes a bit longer then that doesn't bother me as I have plenty to look at.
X

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2014, 11:12:07 AM »
Diana, the coach was full....two people transferred to a minibus for the steep descent to San George four or five  couples went to Kaloudis three couples to the Mathraki, the rest on to San Steph. (Fools) ;)

When we finally got on the coach at the airport every one was completely silent.....but there was no way I was leaving the airport without my suitcase ;) 

Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2014, 01:47:39 PM »
When we finally got on the coach at the airport every one was completely silent.....but there was no way I was leaving the airport without my suitcase ;) 

Val x

The silent treatment on the coach, when we were over for the first week of the season we mounted the coach to silence, me being my usual self said "cheer up your on holiday" This was met by silence but I later came to realise why.  Four of us were destined to arrive in Arillas whilst all the other passengers were heading to Sidari .

As for the coach transfers we find that early season is a little quicker that later on, due to the amount of people arriving in corfu.
If you decide to take the coach transfer just sit back enjoy, you will soon be in Arillas, that little extra time can be used taking in the scenery and knowing that your destination is the best destination on the whole island   

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2014, 07:13:50 PM »
I heard a rumour about that coach trip of yours , Mr J the R.

It was said that, by an unfortunate coincidence, all the males, on the coach, had at some point in their football sporting career, had been given a red card from you. -- Hmmmm!

Or, maybe it could have been the thought of not going to Arillas. - I will ask "Truth".

Negg

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2014, 09:39:36 AM »
It's true ! Lol
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline diana

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2014, 05:38:58 PM »
Thanks ness, Val n Bill, will use the coach as I do like to see all the surrounding area and views.
Looking forward to July 25th

Offline diana

« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2014, 12:42:36 AM »
Did I read some where that they had one of the real ale's on draught anyone please?

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2014, 01:31:25 AM »
Sorry Diana, real ale does not do well in Corfu's climate. The nearest you will get is our local brewery's bottled version - brewed in Arillas itself! In fact you can visit the brewery on the way to San Stefanos. It has an awesome reputation for great beer, and has been featured by Wetherspoons in the UK twice. We are all very proud of it.

Jen says the only thing she misses is her pint. But the local krasi (wine) is a big compensation. Me? I'm a Mythos hardnut.

Phil

Offline diana

« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2014, 11:10:45 AM »
Hi Phil, is the local wine Krasi, dry?
Also do you know opening hours for brewery trips and tours as will be for sure taking a trip up there, which I hear is not too far away.
Presume most places in Arillas sell the local bottled beer.
Tried the four different varieties last year in Paleo, delicious!

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2014, 01:20:29 PM »
It varies but never "sweet." Brouklis is well known for its range, all of which are delicious. But everywhere the wine is very drinkable. I think the tours of the brewery are on Saturdays, but someone will confirm that, or just search the forum for posts on that.

Yes, most if not all places serve Royal Ionian, and many offer the whole range.

Best wishes
Phil

Offline diana

« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2014, 01:32:51 PM »
Thanks Phil very helpful!

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2014, 03:30:15 PM »

Sitting in the Mathraki right now......bread, rose`wine, fried calamari, olives and salad from the garden lemons from the trees. There are 
Two bottled real ales, light and dark and all the usual greek beers behind the bar. The perfect lunch.

Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline stevemary

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2014, 03:49:12 PM »
Val reading about your lunch at the Mathraki while grandson is having a nap and just for a second I could imagine being there myself. Then I looked out at the rain and came to my senses. Ah well it won't be long til June 30th
Mary x

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2014, 04:05:33 PM »
Hi Diana

The Arillas brewery trips were on Saturday mornings last year but I can't remember the times and we walked it easily from Kaloudis in about 20 minutes.
Well worth a visit with lots of free beer to be had and only paid 1 euro each to get in. Bargain!
We also bought lots of their beers while we were their to stock our fridge up with and enjoyed them on the balcony!

Suzy x

Booking.com