Author Topic: Do you have a second favourite resort?  (Read 11154 times)

Offline cypress

• Arillas Addict
Do you have a second favourite resort?
« on: October 05, 2013, 12:01:09 PM »
If you had to choose somewhere else on the island to stay for a week or two, where might that be?

I'm thinking I might try Paleokastritsa or St George north east and then have my two weeks in Arillas, but can you recommend anywhere else that's similar to Arillas?  

Cypress

Offline Ann K

• Arillas Addict
  • Arillas! Arillas! Arillas!
Re: Do you have a second favourite resort?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 12:31:39 PM »
I personally don't think anywhere comes close, with the possible exception of St Stefanos just over the hill.  After 16 years of exploring the island (and there are some beautiful places) Arillas has everything you could possibly need. :)

Offline katerina

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 01:31:03 PM »
Hi Cypress

Well I love Arillas, but I also love all of Corfu (and Greece to be honest). I like to stay in different places on the island and I've just returned from St Georges South.

I also met several people there who had previously stayed in Arillas and they liked it too.

St Georges has a stunning sandy beach at the north of the resort which leads to sand dunes and the Korrison lake. The south of the resort has a narrower beach and you can easily find somewhere that suits you.

There are plenty of tavernas with excellent quality food and several bars too. I would certainly recommend it to an Arilliac as somewhere different to try.

Offline kevin.g

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 03:50:57 PM »
each to there own ,,but arillas is the magic for us ,,yiammas

Offline Jersey Bean

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 04:00:24 PM »
I have stayed all over Corfu but my two favourites are Paleokastritsa and Arillas. They are completely different so we do a two centre holiday and get the best of both worlds

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 05:06:44 PM »
Got to be KAVOS ! Lol
Sorry , couldn't help myself
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 05:16:08 PM »
2nd favourite resort? - Good question.

For us it has to be Sidari as it looks after us in the Winter. But also has good places to eat in the Summer.

Negg

Offline adairsl

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 10:02:34 PM »
All
Will be a little controversial.The question doesnt specify that the choice has to be in Corfu.
Before we discovered Arillas which we will always return to I had spent many happy holidays in a small town in Ibiza called Sta. Eulalia.
Heaven forbid but if couldnt get to Arillas not sure I would go anywhere else in Corfu.I feel sure I would be disappointed so might go back to past memories or even try somewhere new.
Oliver.

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 11:04:18 PM »
If its open house got to be Anaxos in Lesvos
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 01:54:50 AM »
Well cypress, I have many. But your question answers itself for me - they are all "second favourites." Limited by work (college holidays) and money, I can only spend four weeks a year in Corfu, and Arillas provides me with more than four weeks worth of "first favourite" activity. So I never stay anywhere else. That doesn't mean I know nothing of other centres in Corfu, and indeed I have visited some them. Fortunately, my better half feels exactly the same, so PhilnJen are Arillas folk, together.

Arillas is unique.

In a very few years I will be able to spend most of the year there, with a very contented wife who is looking forward to it as much as me. Then we will spend some time in other parts, such as the Diapontian islands of Mathraki, Ericousa and Othoni, but will probably do a lot of Sidari, out of peak season, as well. It is a very different place in October.

Phil

Offline Paul D

• Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 01:35:02 PM »
If I was to choose somewhere else, St. George`s South sounds good to me. Will have to have a closer look at that. 
Doesn`t mean I`ll go there, of course.   Arillas really does tick all the boxes for us.
                    Never say never......
                                                Paul
Arillas - `perfect antidote to life`s stresses and strains`!

Offline Val 57

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 04:28:24 PM »
Wish I could have 2 holidays a year! 

Our usual 2 weeks in summer in Arillas and then another week or so in Stegna, Rhodes.  Beautiful, little resort, sea is like a warm bath :-)  Unfortunately now only available if you book flight & accommodation separately...  (Previously with Kosmar.) 

Being tied to school holidays means that the flights and accommodation are expensive, especially from East Midlands Airport.  Ah well, maybe when I've retired - or should I say if... :-(

Val

Offline Lisa and Steve

• JustLisa
  • Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2013, 06:37:13 PM »
We also like santa eulalia in Ibiza. Also S'argammasa which is next door.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2013, 06:39:51 PM »
Val meluvver, in spite of my outspoken love of Arillas I appreciate all aspects of Greek Island life. I have a huge list of islands I would visit if money were no object.

As for the "if" I so understand. I took my pension from teaching in 2008, but I am back, just not full time. However, my employer (Yeovil College) fully understands that when the state recognises me as an old man, I will leave, and go to Corfu.

Of that, I am sure.
Phil

Offline cypress

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2013, 07:13:18 PM »
That's sorted then Truth.....Kavos it is! Or maybe not..........:-)

In reality, I actually don't think I will end up staying anywhere else on the island now, I'd be itching to get home to Arillas, comparing wherever I was with the beautiful resort of Arillas. Perhaps it's better to do day trips to other areas than staying in another resort and counting the days until I could be where I now feel as if I'm at peace as soon as I arrive.

Thanks for all your replies.

PhilnJen, I think you might have been at the Bardis when I was there this year. We said Hi once or twice when you were sat on your balcony on the bottom floor near the bar area? I have a 'vague' (alcohol induced!) memory of the both of you in the Nut too. The reason I thought I'd look for somewhere else to stay is because Bobby says that they're full on the dates I need. That's testament to what a wonderful place they have there and what a wonderful family they are, but I'm trying to find somewhere else now.....and I just feel in my heart that it will be Arillas again. 

Booking.com