Author Topic: Mozzies  (Read 13990 times)

Offline Northerndave

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
  • Yammas
Mozzies
« on: August 23, 2013, 12:36:08 AM »
Hello, are Mozzies are problem at the moment? For rooms what would you recommend to keep them as Mozzie free as possible? I'm torn between the plug-in units or have seen Mozzie Coils too, but are these safe to burn indoors ?

Offline Bella

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Arillas Addict
Re: Mozzies
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 12:54:04 AM »
Mozzies hate the wind so hate the air con too.
I keep all windows and doors shut when out and then burn the coils out on the patio when in bed and this so far has done the job just fine - do not use them indoors - apart from the fire risk they give off a really highly chemical smoke which cant be goood for you! ! I never use air con as the noise of it keeps me awake but if you do use it they tend to keep away!
Most places will have mozzie nets though if you ask or hooks above the bed from which you can hang your own.

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 01:40:07 AM »
We always use the liquid plug ins and they work great for us.

Offline Rachel B

• Forum Fanatic
  • When my fridge is empty, so is my heart
    • Instagram
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 02:09:24 AM »
I swear by the coils - easy to pick up from most if not every supermarket there. Only cost around €1.70 for a box of 10.
As there's no flame, they're perfectly safe to leave burning while you're out. I burnt them all day & all night.
Have one burning under your table/chair while you're on your balcony... mozzies didn't come near my apt!
I also burnt citronella and jasmine incense sticks.. both worked a treat! :-)

Offline pdkirk

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 11:54:31 AM »
We only ever take a can of fly spray, spray the rooms as you leave in the evening with your shutters closed and put Boots mossie repellent gel with 50% deet on. Works for us.

Offline Martin_G

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 10:08:43 PM »
For us keeping windows closed is key, before you go to bed, look round and zap anything flying lol..

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 12:26:30 PM »
Even though i blather myself head to foot in Jungle Formula maximum strength i managed to get bitten 15 times but piriton took the swellings down in 24 hours.
It's the 1st time in 3 years since i have been bitten since using JF so couldn't understand it,maybe they are becoming immune to JF although i did see a few folks who obviously didn't use any repellents and they were covered in bites.
We also had plug ins x2 and sprayed the room every night before we went out with mosi killer spray.
Tony   

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 05:30:57 PM »
Mozzies hate wind

That's yer answer , folks.

Ignore the Greek food and eat more Indian curries!!

Or..... Use any good Mozzie spray and douse yer room afore you sleep.

Negg

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 06:09:26 PM »
Nearly the deal breaker with us in 2003. It took us until 2007 to come back to Arillas after Jen's horrendous sufferings at their hands that year. But "touch wood" her reactions have reduced and a few bites no longer lay her low. She had three this year, all suffered in the afternoons when the guard was down. But the Jungle Strength kept her completely free of bites in the evenings. 

Saw so many folk covered in bites this year. I felt so sorry for a bear of a man who I saw at Bardis. He was smothered in bites all over his back. I dread to think what his legs and feet were like.

But the pull of Arillas is so strong for so many, these "local difficulties" don't prevent them from having the times of their lives, no matter what the pain and the costs.

Me? The little darlings have never touched me. In all my many months there, I have never had a single mozzie bite.

Phil

Offline patrickjohn

• Lincolnshire Yellow Belly
  • ARILLIAC
  • PJM
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 10:30:04 PM »
Julia & I have sometimes suffered mozzie bites in the past.  Julia's bites often turn into horrible blisters.  However we usually manage to get away without being bitten nowadays by using Mosquito Milk (which we get online from Chemists Direct (http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/).  Started using this stuff after reading advice on this forum.
Additionally we keep our room closed up well before dusk and around 6pm we use two plug in tablet anti-mosi devices and these stay on until morning.  It's essential to take biggest precautions around dusk as this is when the mossies are most active by either covering up and/or dosing with repellant.  The other advice above about keeping rooms closed up and checking for mossies before going to bed is very sound.
Good luck
Pat

My book"A Policemance Tale" at Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B8BD9MWM

Offline philippa

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 05:36:05 PM »
Also mozzies and other lovely little creatures love damp bathroom towells or beach towells - especially if there should be a bit of " sweat" smell or tanning lotion - coconut!!on them - we dont smell it but they do!!
Expensive perfumes are also a treat for mozzies and things that glitter!!
Maybe that is why men do not tend to get caught out so much - no sparkly jewellery - no perfume - and the sweat - well!!!! mostly they do not have tops on!
We have no aircon in the house but fans in all the rooms - you got it . they do not like moving air!!
Have a mozzie free lovely holiday in Arillas
By the way Sidari and Agios Spiridon beach are notorious - lots of low lying water and bamboo etc - Arillas is a dream - again!!

Offline patrickjohn

• Lincolnshire Yellow Belly
  • ARILLIAC
  • PJM
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 10:14:10 PM »
Regarding the mozzie threat, Julia and I take a daily antihistamine dose (either cetrazine or loratadine (ingredient of Piriton and the other branded tablets) well before our holiday.  This means that if we do get a bite the antihistamine is already in our systems and reduces the effects.
You don't have to pay Piriton prices for this as you can get either cetrazine or loratadine at lots of shops for about 99 pence a packet.
Good luck.
Pat

My book"A Policemance Tale" at Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B8BD9MWM

Offline Rachel B

• Forum Fanatic
  • When my fridge is empty, so is my heart
    • Instagram
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 10:24:08 PM »
I did that Pat, got some from Asda for 97p - then started taking them the morning of my flight and then throughout the week.

Offline Northerndave

• Yammas
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 02:38:22 AM »
Good tip Pat, will try that myself.

Am bit worried as I like to coat myself in expensive fragrances that I will be a natural target for the little b*ggers !

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 02:52:39 AM »
Dave, get used to the "fragrance" of 50% DEET spray. Liberally applied to every inch of exposed skin, particularly around feet and ankles. Seems expensive to me but a fraction of the obscene prices charged for the guaranteed mozzie attracting stuff with names like Dior etc.

I like to smell nice, so I constantly reek of Mythos. It works for some. Have you seen the pics? Beer breath must be useful in the mozzie issue. I have never had a bite in all my years and months in Arillas.

Phil

Booking.com