Author Topic: Rick Stein Vid  (Read 12008 times)

Offline Paul D

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
Rick Stein Vid
« on: October 18, 2009, 10:54:45 PM »
Hi, all.  Just  looked at Rick Stein video. The `simplicity` of rural life, which the video shows, is one of the reasons we love Corfu and Arillas.

To me, the Greeks have completely the right attitude to life, i.e. to be pragmatic and deal with life in a relaxed manner. As we all know, Greeks don`t rush.

As eating fabulous Greek dishes is what we all like to do, that`s why I`ve put this here.  I`m no chef, but I can truly appreciate what can be rustled up by people who know what they doing. For us, trying the local cuisine is a must `thing to do.`

I hope you all agree, that Corfiot food is indeed, `food for the soul`. Our Arillas friends excel themselves in this department.

Now I wish I was back `home`.

Yammas Paul D

Arillas - `perfect antidote to life`s stresses and strains`!

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
Re: Rick Stein Vid
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 03:43:59 PM »
Hi all - I thought I'd resurrect this thread because it too got me thinking...

On our first visit to Arillas I loved the food so much I bought a cookery book from Ina's supermarket ... I've not yet cooked anything from it! Mind you, I'm not a great cook anyway I'd rather eat it!

This year, we're going to take Dimitris' advice and eat like the Corfiots - sharing dishes and the experience of eating fabulous food in a relaxed and friendly setting

Can't wait!

Janis x

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 03:47:15 PM »
Dont forget a Gyro on the way home Janis its a must ;-)

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 04:00:04 PM »
Mmmmmm...gyros..... ;)
Life is good ;)

Offline Sara

• Forum Fanatic
    • www.villatheia-corfu.com
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 04:29:51 PM »
Thanks Janis for resurrecting this thread. I simply adore Greek food & I too have a couple of recipe books. I enjoy cooking & have made several dishes - stifado, kleftiko etc, but sadly they don't taste the same as they do in the tavernas in Arillas.
I agree with Paul that Corfiot food is indeed 'food for the soul'

Mmmmm..love gyros too.......

Sara

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 04:40:16 PM »
Apologies for being thick - where do you buy these gyros from? 

Offline Sara

• Forum Fanatic
    • www.villatheia-corfu.com
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 06:11:49 PM »
Janis, I'm sure someone will tell you where you can get them from in Arillas, but where we're located we get ours from either The Night Owl or Mon Amour. They are the Greek equivilant to our fast food. Meat - usually chicken or pork, salad & a tzataiki type dressing all wrapped up in a pitta style wrap & they only cost 3-4 euros each.
They're delicious.

Sara

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 07:36:54 PM »
For GyrosThe Steki grill room on the main street Janis next the Malibu if you go on the arillas map is on there with a purple balloon on it

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 07:53:52 PM »
Steki is also a less expensive but very good place to eat. Have been several times. Not that in our book anything is too expensive in the tavernas, one of the joys of Arillas is the fantastic food for a real value price.

I also often cook Greek. I have perfected stamna, based on the one we had at Potofino, and stifado usually works well. Have tried to make Bourdetto, but don't think I will ever match Roula's at Brouklis. Likewise galactoboureko - I didn't even try...

Why did you get me going on food ???? I'm still trying to shed last year's pounds (though not trying very hard...)

Phil

Offline coys

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 07:58:02 PM »
Can recommend the gyros from the Steki grill room, it is also very popular with the Greek community so you have to eat early before they run out. Price about 2 Euros.

Barry.

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 11:48:47 PM »
Oh of course - I've seen the place next to the Malibu, but we always walk past as we're usually either going to, or coming from Brouklis... no, seriously, it never occurred to us to try there because it just looked like typical fast food and it wasn't what we wanted on holiday
STILL we will try one now on your recommendations - thanks everyone!

I only need to look at food and I pile on the weight, Phil (although I do think that my alcohol intake has something to do with it as well!  You're OK with vodka - it's not as fattening as wine!)

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 11:55:55 PM »
Janis for the night you want a change of fare you could do worse than Stekis's Spaghetti Carbonara.  It's YUM :-)

Eileen.xx

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 12:01:18 AM »
Agreed Eileen, and their bifteki is yum too. I had a gorgeous chicken dish there in a peppery sauce.

Ha ha Janis - if you add in all the beer I drink..... Jen insists it's a beer gut! Was 30 inch waist, now I'm 34 with elastic bits! If I get to 36 it's DIET DIET DIET.

take care luvvers both
Phil

Offline tonynglenda

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 11:08:39 AM »
Just a little note for all re the Steki grill house. We went there regularly for a snack if we didnt want a full meal, always good food and good value. However he closed down while we were there in october and he was unclear whether he would open again this year. He had a bad season with the fall in trade and cost of his overheads was too much. Fingers crossed he will open again and not be yet another empty premises in arillas.

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
Re: Steki
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 11:49:04 AM »
I for one hope it will be open again i really enjoyed walking back to the Mathraki Gyro in hand then into Zorbas for an Ouzo night cap before bed :-)

Booking.com