Author Topic: local buses arillas to sidari, or san stef to sidari  (Read 22014 times)

Offline deevo

local buses arillas to sidari, or san stef to sidari
« on: May 17, 2009, 01:48:37 PM »
Hi,  was just wondering, does anyone know if you can get a local bus, any colour, from eith Arillas to Sidari, or San Stef to Sidari,  Taxi last year was €20, each way, just thought there might be local transport, any help on this would be really helpful

thanks
dEEVO

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
Re: local buses arillas to sidari, or san stef to sidari
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 07:54:15 PM »
Hi  deevo - Jen and me get out of bed too late for the bus. It heads through Sidari and San Stef towards Corfu Town at about 7am. Dead cheap but no good to us -

We are likely to have left the Coconut bar just an hour or so before. Agree - taxi is expensive. Have a word with Theo and hire a car. If in doubt send me a Personal Message.
Phil

Offline wayne

• arillas trip 6
  • Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 06:52:10 AM »
olgas travel do some mini bus trips to sidari and kassiopi i went last year the prices were quite reasonable giving you about 5 hours in whichever place you go to.also buses to corfu town.

Offline justjen

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 09:14:01 AM »
Hi Deevo,

Busses go from San Steph to Sidari and on to Corfu town about 4/5 times per day. Haven't used it for a few years but was dead cheap and took about 15-20 minutes to Sidari from memory.

Jen

Offline kriopigi girl

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 11:48:16 AM »
Hi Deevo
Ther is bus from Arillas but it leaves at stupid o'clock and it is the only one. However as Jen mentioned there are a few buses go from San stef through out the day. Ther is one at about 10 .30 which is a much more respectable time !!!!!

Pauline

Offline deevo

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 03:55:03 PM »
Hi Deevo
Ther is bus from Arillas but it leaves at stupid o'clock and it is the only one. However as Jen mentioned there are a few buses go from San stef through out the day. Ther is one at about 10 .30 which is a much more respectable time !!!!!

Pauline

thanks for all your replies they are really helpful, and as for stupid o'clock, im a bit of an early bird and usually up and about by 6 in the morning, no matter what time i went to bed, the buses throughout the day from san stef may come in usful, as we have to go to Sidari to meet some friends for a birthday party, but its in the evening, but im sure we will manage, again thanks for all your help,

Oh only 8 more sleeps whoohoo

Deevo

Offline PTSD

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 11:04:03 AM »
any chance of bus details from Sidari to Arillas this summer? thanks

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 04:57:16 PM »
TRANSPORT
Getting About Locally
Inter-Resort-Bus

This new local bus service is on trial for 2 months from August 2011 joining up Agios Georgios, Arillas, Agios Stefanos and Sidari. Tickets are 1 price for 1 day (5 euros) no matter how far you go. It starts outside Costas Golden Beach Hotel and you MUST purchase your tickets BEFORE you get on the bus. 
Tickets can be purchased at the hotel but should also be on sale at other establishments.
Prices are: 1 day .. 5 euros; 7-days ... 15 euros ; 14-days ... 25 euros 
 TIMETABLE - Outgoing (Link for Return times)   PICK-UP POINT 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th LAST
AGIOS GEORGIOS Costas Golden Beach  10.00 11.15 12.30 15.00 16.15 17.30
ARILLAS Tria Adephia                            10.10 11.25 12.40 15.10 16.25 17.40
             Amourada junction                   10.15 11.30 12.45 15.15 16.30 17.45
             Christos junction                      10.20 11.35 12.50 15.20 16.35 17.50
SAN STEFANOS Barras                          10.30 11.45 13.00 15.30 16.45 18.00
             Romanza                                 10.35 11.50 13.05 15.35 16.50 18.05
AVLIOTES Chemist / Butchers                10.45 12.00 13.15 15.45 17.00 18.15
SIDARI Spiros Supermarket                   10.55 12.10 13.25 15.55 17.10 18.25
  The Three Little Pigs                            11.00 12.15 13.30 16.00 17.15 18.30
  Paradise Restaurant                            11.05 12.20 13.35 16.05 17.20 18.35
  Elin Petrol Station                               11.10 12.25 13.40 16.10 17.25 18.40
                Unfortunately the bus service will not go into Afionas and the nearest it goes is the corner near the old olive press on the cross-roads of the roads from Agios Georgios, Afionas and Arillas. Although this is not on the timetable the driver will stop should anyone want to alight/board here. It is not a scheduled stop as such but the drivers are aware to stop there if any customers ask request it. Anyone wishing to walk to Afionas along the ridge road could do so from the corner, (approx 3 kms), so avoiding the steep hill direct fromAgios Georgios beach.   
 TIMETABLE - Return   PICK-UP POINT 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th LAST
SIDARI Markato                                     10.00 11.15 12.30 15.00 16.15 17.30
  Paradise Restaurant                             10.05 11.20 12.35 15.05 16.20 17.35
  The Three Little Pigs                             10.10 11.25 12.40 15.10 16.25 17.40
  Spiros Supermarket                             10.15 11.30 12.45 15.15 16.30 17.45
AVLIOTES Chemist / Butchers                 10.25 11.40 12.55 15.25 16.40 17.55
SAN STEFANOS Romanza                       10.35 11.50 13.05 15.35 16.50 18.05
      Barras                                             10.40 11.55 13.10 15.40 16.55 18.10
ARILLAS Christos                                   10.50 12.05 13.20 15.50 17.05 18.20
  Amourada junction                               10.55 12.10 13.25 15.55 17.10 18.25
  Tria Adelphia                                       11.00 12.15 13.30 16.00 17.15 18.30
AGIOS GEORGIOS Costas Golden Beach  11.10 12.25 13.40 16.10 17.25 18.40

(Happy now, Mike? ;) )

Offline coys

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 05:25:27 PM »
Angie you have put it with the other two posts. What does that prove
Barry. 

ceefacts

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 05:33:39 PM »
so the timetable is now on about 5 different threads ....... all of which hidden behind the title "TAXI AND BUS TRANSFER" I want it on the main info page not hidden away so NO Angie I'm still not happy , but atleast nobody has to move this one as its already posted in the wrong place ...... seems we're fighting a losing battle hey COYS ? !!! Seems you cant help people that cant help themsleves .

Offline herman

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 11:41:40 PM »
Thank you for posting my timetable.

If you would to download a copy as well as find out where you can buy tickets in resort, visit the following web address:

http://www.corfudirect.com/outlets.htm

1 day passes costs 5 Euros
7 day passes costs 15 Euros
14 day passes costs 25 Euros

----------

Just to clear up a few misconceptions about the service. I have engaged Greek drivers, using Greek busses, and for my part have brought the innovative idea to the region, with the view of fulfilling a big demand and bringing opportunities to the region.

All of CorfuDirect's enterprises seek to build local business in such a way as to reward the local communities. Our enterprises are designed on a system called 'local business modelling' the result of which is that around 80% of revenues generated by all of our activities remain to support the local economy.

I hope this helps to smooth some of the troubled waters and rumours flying around in the ether, about foreign businesses coming into Corfu to take jobs, opportunities and income away from the island populace. Quite the opposite.

My desire is to run this service for the entire season next year, from May to October, and to perhaps introduce a second service linking the main resorts in the north-east of Corfu together. We will see how the trial goes on decide on that later, and it all depend on the level of support.

Meanwhile, Thomson and Thomas Cook guests may soon be able to purchase tickets from their Reps in resort. Cosmos reps should already have tickets available and Olympic may be on stream soon as well. If you are travelling to Corfu in September you can also pre-order tickets through the CorfuDirect website and have them delivered to your accommodation on arrival. If you choose to pay online in advance, there is also a 10% discount offered.

So Happy Days and Happy Travelling in North-west Corfu. Have a terrific time when you are here. It's the finest place in Europe for a summer holiday. I know that because I have been coming here for over thirty years!

Herman Mittelholzer

PS: Just one more tip, and then I promise to shut up. On Mistral days when the wind hits Arillas, the beach disappears and the become very rough. On days like this the beach at San George, being sheltered is absolutely perfect. Just get a one-day ticket for 5 Euros and enjoy your day.

Offline coys

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 11:48:41 PM »
Herman good luck with your venture.
Can you tell us where to buy tickets in Arillas at the moment.

Offline coys

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 11:52:50 PM »
Sorry should have looked at your link first.
Barry.

Offline Ang

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 12:38:42 AM »
Well done Hermon, sharing best practice and knowledge is good for every business, wishing your innovation great success for all involved.
Ang

Offline herman

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2011, 08:04:54 AM »
Authorities fail in attempt to Shut Down the Inter-Resort Bus Service

In a super-swoop yesterday a team of Tax Officials tried to shut down the new Inter-Resort Bus Service.

They pounced on one of our bus drivers in San Stefanos and Arillas, confiscating his driver's licence and documents. These are essential, since if he doesn't carry them on him he is not allowed to work. Eventually, they agree to return them.

When I confronted them In Arillas, their second super-swoop, and demanded to see their IDs and know what they were doing by stopping a legal bus service, presenting copies of my UK Company Incorporation details, they then changed their officious tone, and eventually agreed that to stop the bus service, since no laws were being broken, would not be appropriate. I think they were trying to establish whether drivers were taking cash fares on board, which of course, as our informational material clearly states would be illegal under local laws. Having established that our drivers had not broken any laws they agreed to conference in Sidari, followed up with a meeting at the central Tax Office in Corfu.

The bus service was allowed to continue to run.

Their argument was that because my company was not registered under the Greek tax system it was trading illegally. I pointed out that Corfu Direct was registered in the UK and was subject to UK tax liability and that in order to liable for tax in Greece it would have had to be registered as a Greek company.  I pointed out that as a legally incorporated company in an EU State I was subject to EU Laws as regarded tax. (Funny, I thought that Greece and Britain were both members of the EU and both subject to EU Law). They did not disagree.

This is a classic anti-trust "Catch 22" clause that Greece invokes to unlawfully protect its internal market, which is in total contravention to Articles 101 to 109 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union.

In order to stay fully within Greek Law Corfu Direct had appointed a registered travel agent, so that all the necessary licences to engage the services of bus companies would be fulfilled. (I did my homework before leaving the UK).

The meeting at the Tax Office established that the Inter-Resort Bus Service was a 'fully legal' enterprise, but conversely, they refused to accept the legal status of any company to trade in Greece without a Greek tax number, which as I pointed out was not possible to get.

In order to complete our two-month trial they insisted that I transfer the entire Bus Service project to my registered agent, thereby effectively stealing the project and giving it a Greek company. I would describe that as state sponsored theft, but I had no choice if the busses were to keep running, and I was to get back a penny of the huge investment I have made to get the idea off the ground. The Tax Authorities refused to acknowledge the legal status of a legally incorporated UK Company and its right to trade in an EU State.

This matter will now be the subject of an official 'plaint' to the European Commission, since it appears to be a flagrant violation of one of the most central and important  EU anti-trust Treaties. Microsoft fell foul of this very Treaty and ended up with around a half-billion Euros in fines.

As a result of my decision to transfer the business rights for this trial, the busses will keep running, and the service has now been fully sanctioned under Greek tax Law.

I hope, therefore, that you continue to support it despite what you have read here. It's not all bad news. The service has proved very popular and has a strong demand. Now that it has an official sanction, the major tour operators are now bale to step up and offer tickets to their guests, without fear of falling under the same official hammer - so keep pestering your Reps for tickets and help make this a success.

Unless Greece decides to adhere to EU Directives in the near future, next year the service will have to operate in a different way, with tickets only being available to purchase online. Online sales are exempt under Greek Law. However, with smart-phones, iPads and internet cafes in abundance this should not be a problem, and tickets will be delivered direct to your accommodation. Even more convenient!

The really sad part of this debacle is that in setting up this venture one of my key objectives was to bring innovative ideas to Greece, in a way that would allow most of the revenues generated to remain to support the local economy. This would also generate much needed tax revenues to assist Greek economic recovery.

Sadly, it seems that Greece simply doesn't want them. No wonder the economy is in such a sad state.

Booking.com