Linked Events

• Mary's goes solo in Arillas: May 11, 2009 - May 24, 2009

Author Topic: Mary's anticipated May hols  (Read 21838 times)

Offline MaryH

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
Re: Mary's anticipated May hols
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2009, 07:06:52 PM »
Thanks Viv, Sharon and Martin,
I think I was a bit hysterical at the airport at 1st but I have to say the lady who manages all the check in staff, and Thomas Cook  Reps were absolutely amazing in the way they treat me. I got taken to the front of the queue, through security and they kept me company till I was in the departure lounge, and they rang Manchester and booked my taxi and gave me a number to call when I got there for the taxi, which I only had to wait a couple of minutes for and was driven home by a very nice taxi driver who even took me to my local shop to get a pint of milk. I'll be writing as advised by one of the reps to Thomas Cook, complaining but I will also be praising their staff on how they treated me, what top girls they all are.  Martin it was an honor to meet you. Holiday report to follow plus photos when I have fully recovered, it was my 1st day back at work today and staring at that computer screen was making me want to go to sleep as I was doing boring admin work.

Take care
Love
Mary

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2009, 09:15:36 PM »
Hi Mary. Sad you had such a stressful flight back, but so glad you had such a wonderful time. Can't wait for all the pics....

love
Phil

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2009, 09:44:31 PM »
mary
welcome back.....yammas

Offline MaryH

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2009, 06:44:26 PM »
My May 2009 holiday

Arrived at Newcastle Airport it was very foggy so didn’t think the plane would be able to take off, but it did and on time. But I don’t think I will ever go on a Thomas Cook flight again as it was very cramped and you will be able to see from my 1st post when I got back my flight home was overbooked so flew back later and to Manchester instead. It was an adventure and memories I will always treasure, even the bad bits, which now pale into insignificance! I won’t post the “ incident” in case of offending anyone, but a few of you already know what or, who happened!

The taxi journey from the airport was good seeing the stunning scenery of Corfu and the excitement the nearer I got to Arillas. Where I was meat by Martin at Bardis Sun Hotel and Dorita. Martin very kindly carried my case to my room, which had impressive views of the countryside and as it was on the corner, the sea also. What a perfect location for peace and tranqulity. As soon as I was in my room I went onto the balcony and smiled to myself and said, “I’m here, yippee, and anyone who heard me would think I was a bit nuts talking to myself but I didn’t care.  Then it was down to the Bar to have drinks and to get to know Dorita and Martin and Dennis who I find a very unusual sort of person a bit like Marmite! What a lovely hard working and excellent Mother Dorita is to her daughter Angelica, always finding time to help her with her homework and pay her loads of attention. 1st nights meal was in Grazela and this is where I saw the 1st of Arillas’s unique sunsets. The family who own Grazela are as most people of Arillas are very hospitable and fantastic cooks. I can’t say I’ve had one bad meal. I just wish that night I hadn’t been too tired to eat it all. After lingering over the meal, we went, as we would most nights finish off at Poppy and Spiros Bar (Bardis Sun Studios) for a few “nightcaps”. This is where I met several lovely people. Including a couple Jerry and Alison. If you are reading this it was a pleasure to meet you. What smashing down to earth people. We would have many a laugh and a chat. Alison and I decided to go shopping one afternoon and came back with nothing. Every husbands dream, she comes back and has spent no money. I made up for it later in Yiota’s shop, as every day there would always be some piece of jewellery or wrap or pretty trinket that would take my fancy.

I had the honour of meeting Viv and Pete, Janis and Barry as lovely in real life as they appear on the forum. I will never forget the night I was too sleepy to go out to eat then decided after all I would have a shower and wake myself up and head off to eat alone, as I past Thomas Vavillas Fish Taverna, they were all about to have a meal and invited my in to join them, so it was great company and a lovely meal of, Greek salad, sea bream and my very favourite Strawberries and Greek yoghurt, washed down with very easy drinking wine. I also met a lovely lady called Margaret, who is from my neck of the woods, and she also goes solo in Arillas, twice a year and is so comfortable doing so, she is another top lady and very easy to get on with. Margaret if you read this, hope I meet you again in September, if not next May. Martin is such great company we went on several walks around the village finished off by a drink or two, me lovely icy cold wine and Martin a couple of Mythos having a right good giggle. What a knowledgeable bloke and the perfect Gentleman. It was an honour to meet him. I’ll never forget the lovely afternoon we spent in Brouklis, as at last I’d got to visit it and met Dimitris for the 1st time, and later that evening had a top meal in there. Next time I come, I would like to book one of the rooms there as I think it’s in a great location as I know I would find it a comfort being in the “hub” of the village.

I loved the early mornings, after one of Doritas great breakfasts as they practically set  you up for your evening meal. Although later on in the holiday my willpower slipped and I succumbed to the mid day munchies!  Then I would walk up and down the beach, it didn’t matter that there wasn’t much of it there, I only needed the sea, I would have a swim in various spots on the beach then sit on one of the seats reading my teach yourself Greek book. Something I am seriously now going to take up instead of trying to speed learn the language a couple of weeks before my holidays.

I went snorkelling and now I’m getting more and more confident doing it, I have taken some underwater shots, but don’t know how they will turn out till I put the camera in to be developed, but if they are ok I will post them at a later date. On the second week, there were two surprises, well a surprise to me Ken and his daughter Sophie arrived. I was swimming in the sea and spotted them on the jetty, thought I was seeing things till I got out of the water and then Ken came up to me and said what are you still doing here!  Sophie was an absolute delight as she is a lovely girl and it was her birthday that week so I went with them to The Creperie where we put13 candles on 3 delicious pieces of cake and sang happy birthday, George, bless him bought her a piece of cake and some Orange juice. Then in the evening, Hannah in the coconut bar made her some none alcoholic Cocktails and bought here a silver heart necklace. I thought that was so kind and thoughtful, but that is the spirit of Arillas and it’s people and what gives it that huggable wow factor.

Janis, Barry and I introduced ourselves to each other on the Jetty another couple who I am now honoured to know. All in all, it was a memorable holiday, which I will never forget. I have so many things I want to say but I could go on forever. But as for going solo, yes I would do it again and my love of Arillas is stronger than ever.

Love
Mary

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2009, 07:29:49 PM »
Lovely report Mary, heartfelt and sincere. And some great photos. Thanks for all your effort, it has cheered us both up enormously.

love
Phil and Jen

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2009, 08:47:34 PM »
i can only second what phil said..mary .........yammas

Offline MaryH

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2009, 08:53:23 PM »
Phil and Kevin
Thanks for your comments and Phil not that long now before you and Jen are in Paradise

XX

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2009, 09:08:27 PM »
Mary what a lovely report.  As Phil says thanks for making the effort and taking the time to write it. 

I just love the way your photos ended with a big M written in the sand...a fitting end to your holiday report!

Eileenxxx

Offline MaryH

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2009, 09:17:14 PM »
Thanks Eileen,
It was a pleasure to write it and there is so much more I'd like to write

Love
Mary
XXX

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2009, 09:19:43 PM »
Keep writing Mary...you have a ready audience here:-)

Eileenxxx

Offline justlynn

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2009, 09:22:26 PM »
Great report, Mary, made good reading, and love the photos also.

lynn xx

Offline tracey&peter

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2009, 12:44:58 AM »
Mary - didnt really get to talk to you but my husband Peter did spend one evening chatting to you and Martin W at Poppys bar - we are back in September for 2 weeks (7 - 21st) perhaps we will get chance to chat

Tracey & Peter x

Tracey & Peter Smith
Solihull
West Midlands

Offline MaryH

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2009, 12:48:32 AM »
Hi Tracey
Yes I remember chatting to Peter all being well I will be there there your 1st week so it would be great to have  a proper chat with you

Take care
Mary X

Offline sharonF

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2009, 10:43:06 AM »
Mary, thank you for that fantastic report and photos, would love to hear more.

Sharon xxx

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2009, 03:23:03 PM »
H i Mary!
 A great report that brought back so many good memories. We really had a brilliant time didn't we. I recognize the photos you took on our 'village walks', you have captured another bit of Arillas for posterity. It was wonderful to meet you at last and we seemed to strike up a good friendship right from the start. That's Arillas for you! As it's been often quoted on these postings 'There are no strangers in Arillas, just friends you haven't yet met'. That's why I love the place so much'.
You have done such a good report, it doesn't leave me much to say! It was great to meet all the 'May regulars' and a lot of new faces from the forum. Viv and Pete's special day was a very moving occasion and I was so pleased I was there to share it with them, I will always remember it. Dimitris, Neil and Wendy, Ina, Kostas Tomas, Vassilis, Spiros Yani, Thomas Vavalis and family, what a welcome from them all to name just a few. Dorita, Aris and Angelica were wonderful as usual making me feel 'at home' and nothing was too much trouble. We tested the pool well this year didn't we! Doritas breakfasts are very special and as you say, enough to last until evening if you don't get too tempted by all the other great eating places in the village mid day!
The Greek Dancing night at the Marina was brilliant the best I've seen in a long time food good too. Dimitris did us proud at Brouklis, remember all the fireflies and and 'frog's chorus every night. It was a memorable two weeks, great company, friends old and new, G&T's with all the gang at Popy's to finish those happy days! Wish I was still there!
Must get my photos sorted, been quite busy since I got back. Hey, it's quarter to... (Margaret you've got a lot to answer for!)
Yammas to all, sorry if I didn't mention everyone by name,
Martin.

Booking.com