Linked Events

• Mary's goes solo in Arillas: May 11, 2009 - May 24, 2009

Author Topic: Mary's anticipated May hols  (Read 21826 times)

Offline georgia

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
Re: Mary's anticipated May hols
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 11:48:09 PM »
Good for you Mary. Always exciting when you get booked and can start the countdown! I have never gone solo to Arillas, but think I would feel completely comfortable doing so, such a friendly warm safe place.
Just know that you will have a wonderful time, and enjoy Doritas wonderful egg on toast for brekkie! xx

Offline martin-w

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 12:32:33 PM »
Great news Mary! We will meet at last. As you know I have done the 'solo' trip and believe me it's a doddle. Once you get on the plane you will find all your worries will disappear!
Don't worry about the B.S. Hotel booking 'system'. It's always a bit vague. The taxi driver, normally Stamatis from the local cab company will be there with a large piece of card with 'ARIS, BARDIS SUN' on it. He will take your bags to the taxi and get you to Arillas in about an hour with a guided commentary on the way!
Not long to wait now,
All the best,
Martin.

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 12:49:30 PM »
Good for you Mary!  I am sure all will be ok.  We thought it was all a bit vague too but it turned out perfectly.  We arrived late evening and there was no problem with the taxi transfer... the driver knew the room we were in, let us in and we "were on holiday"!!!  We went straight down to the Marina for a drink, no unpacking as we felt at home already.. we didnt see Dorita until breakfast and she was great... we wanted to pay her straight away but she wasnt  fussed at all although we did go straight to get our money exchanged to be able to do so... I hate being there and not paying for our accommodation right away.

I shall be thinking of you all staying there this year, its such a quiet and friendly place to stay, I would feel very safe staying there on my own.    Have a great time  xxx
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline PPMMAN

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
Yippee
flight booked I arrive in Corfu on 11th May and have just rang Dorita, and spoke to Aris and got the room and taxi sorted, what concerns me a bit is he didn't ask for my name I had to prompt him but he did say don't worry and asked for my flight number. I can't wait. It's going to be a little scary ,but the adventure I've been dreaming of for the past year!! I thought what the heck next year I may not have  job.

Take Care

Mary

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 06:24:03 PM »
Hi Blondegirl!
Last year I had the same trouble with Dorita. She didn't take my money until late in the second week and that was only because I insisted. She really is such a lovely person, nothing seems to worry her or nothing is too much trouble. I seemed to get 'adopted' by the whole family. That's typical hospitality of those welcoming people of Arillas!
Yammas,
Martin.

Offline PPMMAN

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 07:25:03 PM »
HEY Mary i left a couple of good hikeing sticks hanging up in Irenes lux appts pergola your welcome to help your self
                                                  PPMMAN XXX

Offline MaryH

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2009, 09:13:54 PM »
Sue you've put my mind at rest about the vagueness of the booking one thing I didn't ask and will have to is the price I know last time when I ended up not staying  there, but it will definately happen  this time - Dorita quoted me a price.over the phone. I will ring nearer the time

Martin
yes at last we will  meet. Lst time I did fly out on my own and I found it less stressfull than having someone with me mind there was a very stressed party of 17 in front of me in the queue who had got all their passports mixed up when  you are on  your own, you can just sail through check in.

PPMMAN me the new Shirley Valentine - I like the sound of that

Take Care

Mary X :)

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2009, 01:06:53 PM »
We left Mikes "walking pole" (it was a broom handle) by the gate at the back of restaurant just by the telegraph pole... it came in very handy as we left his "posh" one at home.  It might still be there!  Would be funny if it was.

Last year Mike and I were quoted 100 euros each per week, she might prefer sterling this year.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline MaryH

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2009, 08:47:07 PM »
Thanks for that Sue, I'll look out for Mike's walking pole!

even 100 euros is good price - I will ring her  soon and find out
Take Care
Mary

riggers

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2009, 08:52:49 PM »
The walking pole was there in October.....

Good for you Mary, i am sure you will have a fab time.

riggers..........

Offline MaryH

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2009, 02:59:12 AM »
Thanks Riggers - I know I will have a fabe time - I will look out for that walking pole -but hopefully  I will be fit enough for my own two legs to carry me- mind walking down to porto timoni  I might be on my backside!!

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2009, 02:08:40 PM »
Hi Mary,
Just wondering what time your flight arrives on 11th. May. A friend of mine, Dennis gets in from Manchester at 12.30 on that day and is looking for a taxi share. He is on his own and traveling with Nancy's company, Corfu Escape. He says that you are more than welcome to share his transport if you want. Just a thought.
Yammas,
Martin.

Offline MaryH

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2009, 02:20:27 PM »
Hi Martin
My flight arrives at 13.00. That's very kind of Dennis to share his transport with me, but it would mean him waiting around for me, so I wouldn't want to put him out. But if the offer is still there yes please. I could ring Dorita and say I don't need a taxi from the airport. It would make sense though two people sharing. Is Dennis staying at Bardis?
Yammas
Mary

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2009, 03:02:42 PM »
Hi Mary,
Dennis is staying next door with Poppy and Spiros in the 'Studios'.He is good company.
I'll give him a ring and if he is OK with the times, I'll PM you with his home phone number so you can have a chat about it! He doesn't use the internet.
Yammas,
Martin.

Offline justlynn

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2009, 09:29:07 PM »
I remember Dennis, he stayed in the next room to us last May.  He lent me his Greek phrase book after I'd forgotten mine - we got on very well with him.  He is quite a character!

lynn xx

Booking.com