Author Topic: New Villa for 2009  (Read 60189 times)

riggers

Re: New Villa for 2009
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2009, 10:42:42 PM »
Must agree with you Kes, i had a gas bbq and it was know where near as good as traditional. I got rid and it is now probably part of a tin of lager (recycled).

riggers..............

Offline Curt

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
  • Rare Corfu Lizard
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2009, 11:12:07 PM »
Kes
I know that Robin Hood used to cook over a wood fire but then he used candles to see at night as well !  We have come a long way since then !
Sorry , couldn't resist .....
Getting back to the question ... Charcoal or Gas ?
Kes is right you can use hickory chips on a gas fired BBQ but they have to be in a metal container over the flames & under the grill ... like a metal tray - it works good !
I think some woods would be too strong - no idea if olive wood is ok ?
At the end of the day its what ever gives the best results and is easiest ....
I want to light up ten minutes before cooking and to be able to adjust the temperature ...
It just makes life easy ...
I work on Swimming pools and I see loads of disused brick built units by pools with a new portable gas unit sitting nearby ! 
Cheers ....

Offline kes

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2009, 11:39:48 PM »
Ha ha ..Like it. ...

yes we have progressed,  but looking at my last Electricity bill We could be reverting back to candles before long.....(for light..that is)

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2009, 01:33:47 PM »
Charcoal every time.  Thats my humble opinion anyway. 

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2009, 02:23:57 PM »
Hi All!
I've got one of the George Forman 'outdoor BBQ' complete with stand. I'ts very good, but you don't get that typical 'smoked' taste cos its electric and is just like a very large version of the 'indoor' ones. You can't do jacket spuds in it either! Those are the 'negative' points.
The positive points are that it takes minutes to set up and get cooking, if it rains you can continue indoors as it will work equally well on the kitchen worktop. You can 'fire it up' for one or twenty and there is no waste of fuel!
I have a large charcoal unit of the 'Outback' range which has a hood with smoker, thermometer and keep warm oven which I use when I know the weather is 'with' me.
Yammas,
Martin.

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2009, 11:00:34 PM »
I cant reply to this in the positive really because I dont like BBq's.. unless its the souvlaki cooked at the wine festival in arillas of course.  I think its probably because the food usually ends up charcoaled!  We have had a gas one and then resort to the small charcoal one with a a small lid... one time wrapping a whole fish or leg of lamb in paper and smoking it all day.. now that was lovely!  Even tried the throw away ones on the beach all good fun if the food is cooked properly.. now I prefer my slow cooker to cook greek meats all day and eating outside greek style without all the smoke in your eyes.  BBQ's seem to be a man thing doesnt it?  Mike is very attached to his chiminea though and will sit burning stuff all night with a glass in his hand - even during the winter!  Safer for him to do that than rely on him cooking anything :-)
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline Sara

• Forum Fanatic
    • www.villatheia-corfu.com
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2009, 11:54:49 PM »
Couldn't agree more Blondegirl. Definitely a man thing, just look at my replies - mostly from the men. Gary never, ever cooks in the kitchen, but when the sun comes out & the BBQ is lit, he takes over!
Thanks everyone for your replies. At the moment its looking like I'm going to opt for a traditional charcoal, Corfiot style BBQ [ sorry Curt ]

Sara

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2009, 12:16:47 AM »
Have tried to resist but it is futile... Here's my take on it. justphil can't resisit having his say, like you know already....

I love food cooked on traditional charcoal, or even better on the wood itself. Years ago my American boss once gave us steaks cooked on maple wood he had cut earlier that day. It was sublime.

We often used to light a fire in the garden and cook on it at our old house. (Used to have a very large garden then.)

I'm with BG - rather than a gas barbeque I would cook the food indoors and ferry it to the garden table. But sometimes we use a BBQ - I have an old galvanised wheelbarrow on which the oven shelves and cake cooling rack fit perfectly. Makes a great barbeque. Can wheel it out of the way if the wind changes... Never do heavy gardening or baking now anyway, so it is all it gets used for. Forces you to clean up - the shelves couldn't go back in the oven like that!

And I'm with Mike too - would love to have a mediterranean chimenia.

Sara, agree luvver - go for the charcoal... Ah well, I would.
Phil

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2009, 12:19:51 AM »
....go for it justphil....
Sandy x

Offline Curt

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
  • Rare Corfu Lizard
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2009, 12:26:03 AM »
Hi Sara,
You don't need to be sorry ....
It sounds like Gary is the one cooking on it anyway !
The good news is that you will be in Corfu !  and time won't really matter !
Enjoy ... and we will bring round some sausages when we move out there ...?

Question ... can you buy good sausages in Corfu ?
There again it doesn't really matter as long as the local Mousaka is fresh from the oven !

Tip of the day - there is a taverna up in Old Perithia with home made Mousaka to die for !!
It sits up above, looking down on the path to the right of the tables , and is run by their son.

Cheers ....
Curt

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2009, 12:29:50 AM »
....not to mention the cake.....honey or what....
Sandy x

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2009, 12:42:52 AM »
I'm drooling here....

Mezes with taramasalata, dolmades, stuffed peppers and tomatoes, followed by Stamna, then baklava or walnut stuffed figs in honey (forgotten the name for that.) All served in the sun with lashings of red wine, next to the sea in Arillas - Grazella HERE WE COME!!!

Wake up Phil....

Offline Sara

• Forum Fanatic
    • www.villatheia-corfu.com
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2009, 07:31:28 PM »
Well, our furniture & belongings left today for Corfu - not even enough room for a little one!  The van & secure, covered trailer [12M in length] were filled to the brim. Next time we see them will be on Thursday when we arrive too.

If theres anyone out there who wants any items sent from Corfu back to the U.K please send me a message. Lee our driver who is based in Bristol will be returning next Friday or Saturday.

4 days to go :)

Sara

Offline John Crichton

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2009, 07:49:24 PM »
VERY best of luck Sara and Family!

Giff
I got Soul but I'm not a Soldier....

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2009, 09:24:13 PM »
Sara it'll be like Christmas all over again once you start to unpack your boxes.  I'm sure you will have a few surprises when you come across things that you forgot you have bought!  Most importantly...did you pack a bottle opener?!!!

Oh how I wish I was there to see your face when you see the finished result of Villa Theia and how splendid it looks.

Good luck, have fun and enjoy the fruits of all your hard work (& Gary's!)

Eileenxxx

Booking.com