Author Topic: Places to visit around Arillas, by feet or wheels.  (Read 63836 times)

Offline Mick and Jill

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
Re: Places to visit around Arillas, by feet or wheels.
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2008, 11:16:22 PM »
We always seem to go into Sidari at least once but its only a quick trip and straight back, have walked there a couple of times which was rather nice.  Always have a walk up to Afionas and then down to St George walk along the beach and up the other side which brings you out at the top of the main road into Arillas.  Drove through Roda a couple of times but never felt the urge to stop there.  Mind on saying that by driving through Barbati I would never never have imagined I would have enjoyed a holiday there.  It looks like one big horrible road but the beach is gorgeous, views are stunning over to Corfu Town and up Mount Pentakrator.  On saying all that there is no where like Arillas.

Jill XXX

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2009, 06:22:44 PM »
Who remember the " 007 " film , "For your eyes only" with Roger Moore?

Well, I only found out today that the "Yellow CV Car chase" was filmed in Pagi.
And , the little Kafenio, where I enjoyed a coupla hours lunchtime, was in the film.
and , Roger Moore used to sit outside and have his coffee there.

A lovely little place and, if you get there you have to ask for the folder that contains all the action shots, of the car chase, around the village.

Called the " Spiros Bar/Kafenio " - Although it was Dimitris who gave me permission to take these Pics.

They can offer you plenty to drink and snacks such as "toasties" or salads etc.
But, just for the peace and quiet and good atmosphere and being made very welcome, then just a nibble or two is all you may need.

This pic is of Dimitris and Bob ( The guy who has those "to die for veiws" in Afionas )

(The ouzo on the right hand side of the table is mine so hands off!)

Pagi can be reached via Afionas to Agios Georgous and then on to Pagi.
You may need to park and stroll into Pagi. This Taverna is on a very narrow road.
A little trip for the more adventurous , maybe.

Cheers
Negg

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2009, 06:27:13 PM »
Thanks Negg. Have been to Pagi in my mind, but next time in Arillas I will go there for real. Lovely pics
Phil

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2009, 07:03:20 PM »
Don't think I will bother to walk, it's to far. Might take a look if we hire a car. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2009, 12:08:42 PM »
I found this link.. it looks a nice little place to wander around.

http://www.agiosgeorgios.co.uk/pagi.htm
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline justlynn

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2009, 12:25:19 PM »
Thanks for posting the link, Sue.  Just taken a look and it seems really lovely.  Somewhere else to add to our list of places still to visit!  :)

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2009, 08:15:39 PM »
We passed Pagi on our 'epic' 1 day tour round the island last year, this may have been just before we nearly ran of petrol and free wheeled for miles (horrendously close to thousand feet drops I may add!)

We also had a lovely hour at the beach at Barbati.  It was totally pebble though.  Is there another one? It was a beautiful little area though.  I think it was called Nautica beach club or something similar.

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2009, 03:14:57 PM »
We've recently spent some enjoyable prime time with Senan and Jean Marsh.

They've been living in Arillas for some 20 plus years now and their lovely house can be found, at the top of the hill, past Villa Linnakis.
(Many of you have done this walk before)

Jean has been painting away since age 11, I think, and some of her "commissioned work" can be seen dotted around Arillas. - The Armourada sign, and welcome to Arillas beach sign are two examples. Recently she did the internal murals for the Heracles Bar and they are certainly worth the time to have a look. Armourada have portraits of Takis and wife, inside the Taverna, and she can aslso take the credit for these.

Jean has an exhibition of her varied work planned for Saturday amd Sunday 14/15th March at the Akti and I'm sure it will attract many people.

Obviously too early for all of you to see, but if everything goes well then another is planned for the summer.

However , when you're here, if you fancy a stroll up that hill and , when you get to the top and see a lady sat outside a house with brush in hand , pop over and say hello.
You will be very welcome and can take time to browse through her portfolio.
You will be very suprised as to how many you recognise.
Cheers
Negg

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2009, 03:25:32 PM »
Thanks for that information Eggy.

Maybe she should show her work on the internet, there could be many people interested in buying her paintings.

Offline MaryH

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2009, 08:11:09 PM »
We like to walk to Agious Georges it's such a beautiful beach and the walk back somehow always seems much easier -  we've also been to Barbati beach, it is very pebbly , but lovely clear waters and I had a lovely swim - Agios Spiradonnas is another great place to go, either in a car or on a quad bike, and there is a lovely walk through a wood and along the cliff tops ( finding the sewage plant was not such a nice surprise though)  - Patric your wife Julia's drawing is superb,

Take Care

Mary

Offline kerkyra

« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2009, 12:29:23 PM »
Eggy,

Nice photos great to see Corfu out of season.

Andy

Offline Baldy Barry

• Forum Fanatic
    • myspace.com
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2009, 02:33:33 PM »
I remember year's ago having a look round the British cemetery in Corfu Town.
A lot of the graves were from Napoleonic times I think or round about the "Sharpe" period of history.
A lot of the soldiers graves had long forgotten regiments on them like " The Queens Own Light Foot", and suchlike.
Also I remember there were some graves of British sailors of the 2nd World War that were crew of a British warship after the war had ended.
I seem to recall their ship struck a mine off the coast of Albania.
Well worth a visit if you are interested in history.
Hope I don't burn !

Nan

« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2009, 06:32:04 PM »
http://www.shoarns.com/Corfu.html

JO and MARY H

This is an interesting link about Gerald Durrell and his connections with Corfu. I think Barbati is referred to on here.

EGGY

Is it Jean Marsh ... says Walsh on the posters? I think you should get her organised with a website so we can see her work it would keep us going thru the Winter. Don't tell me you are up to your neck with the darts??  When I read Marsh I immediately thought of Upstairs Downstairs (showing my age again here) Jean Marsh !!

Cheers All
Nan x

Offline Mick and Jill

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2009, 08:09:49 PM »
We stayed a week in Barbati in 2007, Servos Studios, the views were amazing across to Corfu Town and we had Mount Pentacrator to the back of us.  There isn't much there apart from the scenery, got to admit the beach was very pebbly and hell to walk on but definatly worth a visit.  There is also a lovely swimming pool right on the beach.  Main taverna we ate in was the Lord Byron, best food in Barbati and run by two cousins both named George.  Wish I could learn how to upload some pictures on here.

Jill
Jill XXX

Offline Paul C

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2009, 08:16:27 PM »
By way of interest Barry it was H.M.S. Saumarez in 1946, about 40 casualties.

Booking.com