Author Topic: Bardis Sun Hotel  (Read 13656 times)

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
Bardis Sun Hotel
« on: September 28, 2008, 11:45:15 AM »
I just had to write something about Doritas rooms at the Bardis Sun Hotel.    Brilliant!

Dorita is so helpful and nothing is took much trouble despite how much she has to do.  We arrived about midnight and the key had been left in the door for us.

Breakfast everyday was a treat, not having to make it and clear up after.  It was from 8.30 a.m. to 10.30 a.m. so plenty of time to get down there.  It consisted of ham, cheese, fresh tomatoes, loads of toast and jam, juice, tea/coffee and then on alternate days it was bacon, eggs, beans or fresh tomatoes, juice and tea/coffee same toast and jam. We did have yoghurt and honey one day (day of the thunderstorms and no electric) Plenty to keep you going for the morning.

The rooms were spotless, we had a large fridge and kettle (which blew up on the first day but was replaced with a big new one) immediately.  We had No. 26 which was on the corner so got the sun ALL DAY up until the sun went down unlike others that were in the shade, so we saw the sunsets and had sea views, it was on the first floor.

Angelika cleaned the rooms every day, apart from Sunday, clean towels and sheets about 4 times in two weeks.  The pool is great, must be the largest in Arillas.  The cafe/bar and pool closes at 6.00 p.m which I think is reasonable as Dorita seems to run it single handed, starts so early and has a little girl to look after too.  She does have an uncle we called the "flip flop" man come in about 5.45 a.m. to do the pool etc.  He did wake us up at first moving sunbeds and watering the garden etc. but after the first few days you got used to his flip flopping around the pool cleaning it.  He's been doing it for about 20 years and Dorita says she cant change his habits.

We did have a really lovely relaxing time here.  There are predominantly Chezck and Romanians staying there.  We met some lovely people, some couldnt speak English/Greek so I know how they managed but we did end up trying to communicate.  Lovely familes they were and you cant believe how long they travel to get there, some took 2 days on a coach - but did stay almost a month though.  A family went by cruise ship from Corfu to Venezia and then a coach to the Checzk republic and I complained about a journey from Gatwick..  We didnt mind staying somehwere with hardly any english people, it added to the holiday.  We met a fantastic young couple called Christina and Kieran from the UK.  They had been staying here for the last 3 years and didnt know about the forum and the site.  I do hope they manage to log on now to see how others are addicted to the place and also we can keep in touch.  We really liked this couple, they were so easy to talk to and get on with.

We cant fault staying here and would definitely book to come again.  Phoning Dorita is no problem.  We made a mistake with the time of our return flight, booked a taxi and realised it was too early, no problem for Dorita, she re booked and as it left at 8.00 she wouldnt be there so said our goodbyes at 6.00 and we left the key in the room.  No hassles at all!  Her extended family run the Graziella and they live in a small house at the back so everyone was very friendly.  Dorita and Angelika work together really well and we would often hear them giggling and laughing in the kitchen - although not related they are very good friends you could tell and Mike would tease them both mercilessly.

One day I could hear a kitten crying and wondered where it was as I hadnt seen any cats about, then on the balcony I heard it again.  Angelika was crying with laughter as she was cleaning our room at the time.  I was there calling for it.... it was her ringtone on her phone.  She couldnt speak much English but we both understood her sense of humor... lovely lady she is!

I was so pleased that Dorita was fully booked... she doesnt close until the end of October... last year she had hardly anyone.  Now she is taking other countries tour operators and independent bookings (she got all our money not the operators, Euros we paid her and she was in no hurry either which made us feel bad, so we changed our money pretty quick to pay her) she is very busy. Which I think is great, better than having no one at all..  so if we can make it next year this is where we shall stay and I would love my parents and my best mate and sister to come with us.. they would love it!
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
Re: Bardis Sun Hotel
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 12:17:20 PM »
Hi there Sue and Mike. So glad you had such a wonderful stay at Bardis Sun. After all you've been through it was so good to see you both looking so happy while you were there. Now we can see why if you had such a great place to stay. Thanks for the info - it will be on our list of possible accommodation for next year.

All the best
Phil and Jen

Offline Lisa and Steve

• JustLisa
  • Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 04:40:53 PM »
Told you so.When are you thinking of going next year.We have nothing booked yet.We always have a fantastic time there.Did you spend any time next door.

Offline sue

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 06:19:33 PM »
glad you had a great time

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 12:20:11 AM »
Hi Lisa, we did pop next door a few times.  Couldnt believe that Poppy knew about Mikes dad.... she said you had told her... it was lovely to see the family again and catch up with their news too.  They are shutting down tomorrow getting ready to send George off to school in Athens.  It is early for them but she said they have had a brilliant but hectic season.

Tried out Bobby's cocktails again - well you have to dont you!

We dont know about next year, it all depends on the "old folk" but would love to plan for either May on our own or later with my parents and Lynda and my sister...we shall see what pans out.

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 12:32:10 AM »
Glad you had a good time BG....it seems to have gone in a flash and I bet it did for you too.
Sandy x

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 12:34:17 AM »
It didnt go too fast really... on the first day we settled in as if we had never been away... by the 10th day I couldnt believe we still had 4 days to go.   Everyone has said how much better we look for being away, not stressed out as we were before, so it was a good decision to go.

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 11:44:33 AM »
A lovely report B.G. thanks for the update on B.S.H. it is nice to know that things have inproved toe Doritas.
Thanks for the pm,will get back to you when I can. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline Shuey

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 03:30:55 PM »
Glad you had a good holiday Sue. We loved staying there.  Ideal location and as you say the breakfasts are lovely.

I am really pleased that Dorita has been busy this season as last year she was really quiet.  Lets hope it continues.

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 06:33:23 PM »
Hi Blondegirl!
Great report. Glad you enjoyed your stay, I knew you would. I could not make it back this year but I hope to be there next May all being well.
I sent Dorita a copy of my 'Arillas D.V.D.' and she rang me last week for a chat and to thank me for it. She was so much happier with this year's bookings and things seem to be going from strength to strength. Lets hope this year is the start of the good times for her and her hard working family! It realy is a great hotel in lovely surroundings with a huge pool, like the hotel, always well maintained and spotless. When I was there in May, the water was a bit chilly, but as the temperatures go up it gets quite warm. Dorita realy looked after me and made sure I was O.K. as I was on my own, with lots of chats and advice on walks and things to do. We caught up with all the news since my last visit. As you say, breakfasts are pleantiful and flexable and always delicious!
Don't know if you met Dennis while you were there. He was staying with Poppy next door for the whole month of September. He does a part time 'skipper' job on the ferry from San Steph while he is there. Bet George was a bit nervous with his iminent move to Athens, he talked a lot about it in May. Glad to hear they also did well this season.
Now is the time to look back on very happy memories and look forward to next year in  our 'special' place. We might meet up next year!
Take care,
Martin.

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 06:49:37 PM »
Hi Martin, that was really nice to read..Dorita is such a lovely lady, very calm with a twinkle in her eye, always ready for a laugh.

We did meet Dennis.  We met him last year when we stayed at Poppys, and was surprised to be in Arillas again at the same time as him, what a coincidence.  He said he had been on the boat again - this time his friend made it out there with him.  He was due to fly back as I said before with XL, dont know how he got on though, he was due back yesterday.  He is part of the "Arillas life" when you see him poodling along on his scooter.  He gets everywhere on that.

Lets hope we can meet up in Arillas next year.

Sue

Offline Wendy n Stu

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 01:05:00 AM »
As of Monday Denis still didn't have flight home and Nancy was trying to sort something for him.  If I hear how he got on I will let you know  W. x

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 01:02:16 PM »
We laughingly said to Dennis you might be there til the end of the season... looks like it might happen!

Offline georgia

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 11:36:07 PM »
Hello blonde girl
We returned from Arillas last Friday, staying at the Mathraki, which eas super, but not the same as Bardis Sun Hotel whwere we have always stayed previously in room 26!!
We were unable to find any tour operators dealing with them, but now have their tel no so may well book independently next year. Dorita I agree is fantastic, she works so hard, yet in such a serene unhurried manner, in total contrast to myself ...I rush around like a blue a...d fly, and yet probably do not achieve half as much!!
Glad you had a fantastic time, we certainly did. Am going through a bit of 'last week this time' at present, sure you know that feeling!

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 11:41:58 AM »
Hi Georgia... fancy you being in no. 26 too!  Brilliant room and dont have to go up the next floor on that spiral staircase which I dont like much..  its not that bad but I am not very good with "open" railings like that.

Glad you managed to get Doritas phone number.  I think more UK visitors will book independently with her next year.

I know exactly what you mean about "this time last week".  I was only saying to Mike last night we cant say that now.. about 12.40 a.m. we landed last Friday morning so have been home a week too.  Its a horrible feeling, almost as if your "Arillas umbilical cord" has been cut!  Cant believe how fast the last week has gone (quicker than the 2 weeks away), didnt help by being ill for most of it with a cold either.

Dreaming of going back already, so will start saving for the Arillas Fund now...(Mike collected all his loose change and we had enough for return taxi fares and taxis at home so worthwhile doing that, everything helps)  Dorita said we could do 10 days which is probably what we shall do.

Booking.com