Author Topic: Thunderstorms  (Read 7360 times)

Offline garyr

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
Thunderstorms
« on: September 25, 2008, 02:45:07 PM »
Hi all

Just got back from 2 weeks in Arillas from 6th Sept to 20th Sept first week fantastic weather after a 11 hr delay from Bristol we needed it second week some of the best thunderstorms I have ever seen.
Sitting in George's having my waffle was great fun watching the lightning hitting the sea and the claps of thunder deafening at times was anyone else there to witness the show?

Offline keefy

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
Re: Thunderstorms
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 05:21:44 PM »
Garyr I got stuck in a bar (Horizon) doing exactly what you were doing just watching the lightening/storm. It was rainging that hard you couldn't leave the bar as you would have been soaked in seconds....a very good sight though think I will take the camcorder next year

Offline ronmonkey

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
  • andy and the boy, @the atki may2009
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 06:29:56 PM »
holiday wouldn't be the same without watching at least one thunderstorm from the portofino!!

Offline Paul C

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Arillas Addict
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 07:17:39 PM »
We were up at Afionas in the Porto Timoni, just managed to get some food before the electricity went. Agios Georgios just dissapeared. Had to ride back to Arillas on a scooter, bit scary with all the rubble being washed across the roads.

Offline Peckedhen

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 07:58:40 PM »
Yes GarryR, we were there the same dates as you, give one day.  We sat in the Marina restaurant watching the storm, it was raining so hard that the awning 'gutters' couldn't cope and the whole floor was soon awash!!  Watching the lightening was amazing but the thunder had me nearly jumping out of my seat with each bang!!  My hubby was laughing at me until that huge peal overhead, when he hit himself in his mouth with his glass of Mythos! :lol: :lol:

riggers

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 08:38:11 PM »
Yes i witnessed it too, unfortunately i was in the apt and not a bar. Luckily plenty in the fridge though. It was the worst storm i have ever seen.

riggers....

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 10:38:36 PM »
even in early july some great storms out at sea.....fab with ouzo in hand ..........yammas

Offline Beachlover

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 11:30:21 PM »
Remember going the first year and staying in Kokinos where the lightning went on for days but the thunder shook the apartment, went on for three days and then the sun came out all of it brilliant.  The other one was watching the twister come and go across the sea thankfully, so nervous we had to end up in the Thassala bar for a couple of hours!

all good
and 10 sleeeps to go

regards to all
Beachlover

Offline iluvsangeorge

• About Agios Georgios
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 12:43:14 AM »
I just made it back from a walk to the hotel steps (in Agios Georgios) when the rain began and we then watched the storm from our balcony. As it swept in from the sea it became almost dark despite it being early afternoon. The wind lashed the rain horizontally right into the restaurant, flooding it.
The lightening display was spectacular especially 3 vivid wide strikes to earth close together followed instantly by a terrific crack as the 4th  strike hit a nearby electricity pole.
All lights instantly went out and the power stayed off for 26 hours !

It was dinner by candlelight that evening with a choice of various salads or a few dishes which could be prepared on the kitchen's gas grill. Every table in the restaurant was occupied and no-one complained. The lady cook was in tears because she couldn't cook to her usual standard.
Then it was up to bed with only a tiny candle night-light. Next morning the power was still off so there was no hot water and on our top floor no cold water either.

Dennis

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 07:02:49 PM »

It was like a scene from Independence Day!
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Nan

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 07:11:48 PM »
Wonderful photos.  Shame we can't get sounds as in videos that would be good.  It  makes you feel rather insignificant when you encounter serious forces of nature. Love it !!!

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 07:58:32 PM »
We did get some movie footage but I dont know how to put that on... what with me dashing in and out trying to get shots and lightening flashing, thunder rolling, all you get is me screaming and jumping about!  LOL!

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 11:40:48 AM »
Wow, I love those weather photos.

Sue, if you want some help to post the videos I can send you some software that will make it easy. It would be really good to see videos of the storm and to hear the sound as well.

Offline sharonF

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 11:46:01 AM »
Sue those thunderstorm photos are brilliant.

Sharon x

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 01:04:19 PM »
Terry, there are more sound effects from the than the storms... LOL..

Very hard to get the lightening too.... too fast and unpredictable for us amateurs!

Booking.com