Author Topic: My Summer 2008 holidays  (Read 10502 times)

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
My Summer 2008 holidays
« on: May 08, 2008, 10:01:05 PM »
Arrived back in the early hours yesterday after two very different weeks in Arillas. I set off in the middle of the night on 22 April, travelling via Athens because I didn't realise when I booked in November that Easyjet would be starting their direct flights in April....never mind. I was travelling with my 89 year old father and a friend so was a bit apprehensive about the journey but I have to say my dad was amazing throughout. I am encouraging him to write his own post...

The journey was ok but both flights were delayed by an hour. We were greeted at Corfu airport at 11pm from a packed domestic flight by Theo with our rented car. I highly recommend Arillas rent-a-car - he couldn't be more helpful. We managed to find our way out of Corfu and about an hour later arrived at To Kouklospito for the first time. I was so excited I could hardly breathe. Some kind friends (no guesses who) had stocked up the fridge for us and after the first metaxa, my dad danced a jig in the kitchen!!!! I shall never forget waking up that first morning to the view and the sunshine - thank you Eileen for posting that message for me.

We were busy every day unpacking boxes, assembling furniture and shopping for cleaning materials, lights, mirrors, irons, drills etc so several trips into Corfu Town. But we also made time for some sightseeing - got to Paleo (best taramasalata in a taverna there Phil) and went up to the monastery. They still rush out into the road at Makrades even in April to accost you....also went to Old Perithia and right round to Kassiopi and Kalimi one day.

The weather was lovely - cold in the mornings and evenings but sunny and warm during the day. Only one morning of rain until the last day....more of that later. Most importantly it was fantastic seeing all my old friends after the winter - Dimitris and Litsa and of course young Bebis. He is really cute with a gorgeous smile. Dimitris was looking very sexy girls I have to say with long hair but sadly he had it cut on the first day of the season....the professional look I guess. Roula, Nikos, Noufri and the lovely Irini (my dad liked her!). Lots of new things in her shop.....you must visit.....and she has heard that Whispers might be open this year.....keep your eyes open. Also heard there may be a pharmacy opening opposite Tria Adelphia....Caught up with Jimmy and Spiros at the Rainbow and Marinos at Horizon plus Angela and family at the bakery supermarket. It was strange being there with hardly anything open but there was a real buzz of excitement everywhere with everyone beavering to get ready for opening.

By the time we left, a lot more places were opening but still no sign of life at Costas or Thalassa, or Eftihia. It doesn't look as though the Arilla Inn will be opening either. The Akti pool was very busy and came on even in the time I was there....very different.....wait and see....not sure when they will open. We were the first customers at the Rainbow which is looking great this year, and I think I was the first swimmer in the pool. All the family were there on opening evening....and my dad sat on his bar stool sipping his metaxa chatting with all the regulars. He loved it all.

I only managed one afternoon on the beach as I was so busy and have done a separate post on that and will also post on my experience of Greek Easter.

Waited in vain outside the Coconut on the first Tuesday night but not even Eggy came and it remained closed so no Forum meeting. I know it's useful perhaps identifying one place so everyone knows where to meet but do you think we should perhaps "share the love" a bit and give our custom to other bars and tavernas as well rather than identifying just one? Just a thought....

Whilst there, I bumped into Eggy and Mrs Egg a few times...and then Eileen and Keith - yes, he does exist...first time I had met him. Also saw Joe's mum, and as I was leaving bumped into Mark and Dee. As I drove out of Arillas I saw Viv and Pete going for a "volta" so had to stop for a quick chat with them too. Missed Martin W though....

The only slight disaster was that it poured with rain the day we left and we were hoping to get the sheets and towels dry before we left....not a chance....thank you Eileen for offering to go in and fold them all up for me later!

So in all, a great time....still loads to do on the house and it is not surprisingly still not finished....but very habitable and well worth the years of waiting, anguish and heartache. If you have the energy to walk up there at sunset you won't be disppointed - will have to get an outdoor fridge though to leave drinks for everyone!!

My greatest pleasure though was sharing all this first visit with my dad and I felt immensely proud of him. I will always remember him dancing in my kitchen and his face when he saw the fireflies for the first time....fingers crossed he will be able to come back with me next spring.

Sorry this has been so long....hopefully it will be the first of many holiday reports this summer so we can perhaps give Eggy a break to do some of the other things that he and Wendy want to do....like go to the beach or visit the UK!
Sandy x

riggers

Re: Summer 2008 holidays
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 10:16:31 PM »
Wow What a lovely post Sandy. I bet you can't wait to get back so can have some relax time after all that running around you have had to do. I am glad your Dad enjoyed himself. All in all it seems you had a really good time.

The outside fridge sounds a good idea.  :) ha ha

riggers....

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
Re:My Summer 2008 holidays
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 10:22:04 PM »
A lovely report Sandy. Very nice, and informative. I`m so glad you`re dad enjoyed himself. Try and get him to write some stories, holiday and his past too. Speak to you soon. Bfn.
Lindypops.

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
Re: My Summer 2008 holidays
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 12:43:22 AM »
I haven't been on the forum much this week, so it was a lovely surprise to read Sandy's report. It doesn't seem "5 minutes" since she was in the chatroom on the day she departed.

I am glad you had a great time Sandy, and also your dad. It must have been harder than ever, on the day you left to go back home, to leave your lovely villa.

Thanks again for a very entertaining and informative report.

I agree with your point about varying the Tuesday meeting point to include more bars etc.

TerryW

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 01:29:33 AM »
I've just realised I've titled this "my" summer 2008 holidays....must still be half asleep. I meant to call the topic simply Summer 2008 holidays (although I do hope I have a few more!!) so that everyone could add their summer posts to it.
You're clever with these things Terry - is it possible to amend it?
Sandy x

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 02:06:13 AM »
I think you have to be an administrator to change it Sandy, but I think "My Summer 2008 Holidays" is fine as a topic subject. Everyone can write a report here, of THEIR Summer holiday, so MY is a good word. When I write mine, next July it will be about MY Summer 2008 holiday, so stop worrying. 

I hope all that made sense.

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 02:09:52 AM »
Ok Terry, thanks...I'll accept your judgement on that...I was worried it sounded a bit arrogant which was the last thing I would have intended.
Sandy x

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 02:39:46 AM »
Agree with Terry, Sandy. This will naturally become the thread where people share their summer 2008 experiences.

What a heartwarming post you made. I can just see dad jumping for joy in your kitchen! And as for "the view" you might have read my comment on another post - died and gone to heaven? I doubt heaven is as good....

Thanks for taking so much trouble to share this all with us. We will be following the taramas trail to Paleo in July.... will report back if we agree! Bound to try it!

And the best bit - the "forum fridge" We could all deposit our half drunk bottles of Russian vodka etc for the next wave of visitors! That's if you don't get there first...lol

all the best
Phil

Offline Paul & Denise

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 03:30:11 AM »
Just logged on to wind down after the joys of a working day,Fantastic post Sandy. Thanks for sharing with us. Did you snap any pictures while there? You have just missed Eric & Sue -they are going out on Monday for two weeks, Hope the lads have stocked the fridge with his cans! You must be so proud of your dad - so active at a good age.

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 08:39:44 AM »
Sandy,

Thank you for sharing that with us! I am so happy that your da enjoyed hiself and lets hope he will be back next summer :)

Life is good ;)

Offline Cheryl2307

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 10:29:41 AM »
Sandy, thanks again for another lovely post.  Sounds like you all had a lovely time and the memories will linger for a lifetime.  Am glad your dad enjoyed it so much.  Did your friend love it too?
Cheryl O

Offline sharonF

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 10:53:53 AM »
Thanks for that lovely report Sandy, i,m so pleased for you.  Your dad sounds great, what lovely memories. 

Would love to see photos

Sharon x

Offline sue

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 11:45:12 AM »
thanks sandy for a fantastic post.
glad you enjoyed your stay and your dad had a great time.
suexx

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 01:29:40 PM »

I know it's useful perhaps identifying one place so everyone knows where to meet but do you think we should perhaps "share the love" a bit and give our custom to other bars and tavernas as well rather than identifying just one? Just a thought....

Wegg and I are very glad you all had a good time Sandy. - What a veiw you have - Eh?

A good suggestion about "sharing the love" and one I'll put a seperate post for.

Negg

Offline Shuey

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 01:53:21 PM »
Exellent post Sandy, how lovely for your dad to see your new home.  What lovely memories you will both have.

Booking.com