Author Topic: mozzies  (Read 40871 times)

Offline graham

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
Re: mozzies
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2008, 10:12:59 PM »
Not good for preventing slips on the floor though BG!
A woman has the last word in any argument, anything a man says after that is the start of a new argument!

Offline Paul & Denise

• Arillas regular visitor
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2008, 12:19:00 AM »
BG
Bannanas are a good hangover cure to. A high level of pottasium apparantly. Back on thread i reported some time ago about the pound land netting that we take with us to protect the windows, so that we can let some air in but not the little blighters. They are selling it again this year.
Paul

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2008, 02:01:07 PM »
Just got back yesterday and can report.....not a single mozzie bite! I sprayed in the evenings before going out and put the plugs in overnight but there really didn't seem to be any about. I don't usually go in June so maybe they get worse as the season progresses.....good news for you justjen if it's the same next week.
Sandy x

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2008, 03:12:24 PM »
Just got hold of in a charity shop (brand new) an electronic mosquito repellent in the shape of a ladybird ... its supposed to keep them away from babies, clip it on a buggy etc.  the packet says it takes one 5v battery..... it emits a barely audible sound of a dragonfly's wing beat - the mosquito's mortal enemy! (West Nile virus whatever that is, wonder if it works for the Arillas mosquitos)   I thought it might be worth a try and could clip it on the headboard of the bed or the curtains..  Watch this space I will let you know!  I am game to try anything to keep them away
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline justjen

« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2008, 05:47:31 PM »
Hi BG,

I had a battery operated gizmo which I bought in Sidari - unfortunately it did b****r all. Not quite the same as the one you describe so let's hope you have more luck.

Cheers, Jen

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2008, 05:57:10 PM »
Jen

There was an "MGM" this afternoon in Arillas. ( Mozzie General Meeting )

A vote was taken and was unanimous that no body will be bitten this weekend.
Instead they are all waiting for Monday evening for a certain couple to arrive!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The repellant we use, but mainly during the morning working out side, is the Superdrug Buzz off. It keeps mozzies and any types of insect away from us.
Just a thought.
Cheers
Negg

Offline justjen

« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2008, 06:13:23 PM »
Thanks for that Negg!

I've packed 4 pots of Jungle formula, a pack of impregnated bands and 10 pairs of pop sox so here's hoping!

lol! Jen

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2008, 06:20:31 PM »
I just curled up laughing Eggy. I thought MGM made films, not mozzies. Perhaps I'm of a certain age. A bit senior.

You're spot on though - they never go near me so I must have strange blood. It can't be the alcohol cos Jen drinks and smokes more than me if that's possible. They nearly carried me home last night, and Jen went back for more.... I think erja would applaud that.

see you on Tuesday in Kavaddades or sooner - you never know...
yammas
Phil

Nan

« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2008, 10:06:40 PM »
Bit of an update on the mossie front!! Hope someone can help with some info. My brother recently returned from Crete got bitten by mossies but was given some "flowering basil" which was apparently growing everywhere, by some kind local person and told to rub it on bit like dock leaves.  He said the relief was instant and it stopped the itching altogether Does anyone know if Arillas has it's own patch of Flowering Basil and what does it look like?

Any budding David Bellamies or Bellamesses out there know the answer?

Cheers Nan x

Offline annie

« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2008, 12:54:20 AM »
Dont know about flowering basil but you can buy after bite cream by rona ross that is very effective stinks of ammonia.Always take a fly spray and spray the  room before we go out and plug in anti mozzie thing. Spray us and eat marmite. Only got 5 bites this year!!! Good News
Annie

Offline John_R

« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2008, 03:06:50 AM »
Dont know about flowering basil but you can buy after bite cream by rona ross that is very effective stinks of ammonia.Always take a fly spray and spray the  room before we go out and plug in anti mozzie thing. Spray us and eat marmite. Only got 5 bites this year!!! Good News
Annie
5 Bites is too many for my liking! dont know which is worse the mozzies or the gigantic Wasps in September.

Offline robinm

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2008, 06:04:48 PM »
Interesting reading who has and who has not been bitten by the mozzies. Could it have anything to do with which floor you are on? We were on the 3rd floor at the Thetis and used the usual plug ins and doused ourselves with Jungle Formula but did not see 1 mozzie in our room whilst we were there. Yet people lower down were being bitten left right and centre during the night even though they were using plug ins etc.
The only time we were bitten was on the last evening of our stay when we stayed out by the pool until 7-30 to catch the last rays - seems like we caught the first mozzies as well.

Offline Baldy Barry

• Forum Fanatic
    • myspace.com
« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2008, 07:40:41 PM »
Right !
I'm buying some stilt's !
Hope I don't burn !

Offline robinm

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2008, 09:13:43 PM »
Hmmm

30 foot stilts should just about do it!

Offline wayne

• arillas trip 6
« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2008, 12:28:09 PM »
apparently there is not a single mosquito on corfu........................................................
they are all married and have 12 kids.:-)

Booking.com