Author Topic: Arillas Today  (Read 3101554 times)

Mary/Steve and 15 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
Re: Arillas Today
« Reply #3390 on: October 17, 2009, 04:28:23 PM »
Pete and I finally got on the beach today,couldnt get to the north end so went south lovely and quiet and peace full. We were ther for about 2hrs and have been left in chage of Brouklis now,( Dimitis and Litsa send there love to all) have gone on a bike ride, so we are just sitting here with a couple of drinks taking it easy and catching up with you lot. What a stressfull life, LOL. Thanks forthe text Lynn. Yee See you and Wendy tonight Neill. Love Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #3391 on: October 17, 2009, 06:22:36 PM »
Arillas Today will see the celebration of the season, the people and the place. The excuse is our viv's birthday. Don't quite understand why we need an excuse - Jen and me celebrate every time we are there. And maybe the virtual party will help us to continue for  a while. In any case Jen and me wish viv and Pete a happy birthday party. But then happy is inevitable. In Brouklis surrounded by people you love, eating Roula's food, with the sound of the sea in your ears (er no, the sound of our Eggy nattering...) how on earth can it not be the birthday from heaven??

Phil

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #3392 on: October 17, 2009, 06:26:38 PM »
Pete and I finally got on the beach today,couldnt get to the north end so went south lovely and quiet and peace full. We were ther for about 2hrs

Viv says it all here! - Mid October and a coupla hours on the beach.Plus some new faces I saw on pool beds this PM. Not enough to go round but a great choice for them.

Still 20 deg now at 6:30 but. I'm sure it will get cold very quickly tonight. Brouklis may have to be indoors. - ( But the food will still be enjoyed just as much )
And.... I promise not to natter too much Phil.

Cheers
Negg

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #3393 on: October 17, 2009, 06:56:40 PM »
Cheers Negg
Phil

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #3394 on: October 17, 2009, 10:50:29 PM »
A very nice evening with Daughter Frances , Hubby Tim and mini sprog Barnaby at Brouklis. plus the company of Birthday Girl Viv and Pete.

Only a tad to cold to sit outside but a good inside atmosphere to be had by all.

Nice evening and the Winter may not be as easy for me this year as it was last year.
Said goodbyes to many people who's company I will miss until next year..
( Sorry y'all but that's how it is! )

Stay well Everyone
Neill Egg

riggers

« Reply #3395 on: October 17, 2009, 10:57:40 PM »
Ahhh Neill mi ole mate, i'm sure we will all miss your company too(i will for sure). It will be 8 months for next visit.....soooo long.

Glad you all enjoyed ur night...

riggers...

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #3396 on: October 17, 2009, 11:24:57 PM »
Not so ole riggers mate. Me and Neill are made of stronger stuff than that. Mate is fine though.

Can't bear the idea of eight months, however true it is. It will be many more than that till we three meet again, thunder, lightning, or in rain... (sorry Sandy medear, I did Macbeth for O level)

We will just have to look after each other on the forum for a few months.

Phil

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #3397 on: October 18, 2009, 05:25:56 PM »
We got around 21 deg in Arillas Today , good people.

That was after an average of 50mm overnight rain and I dread to think what downpours were thrown at us during the morning.

I saw 2 bodies taking advantage of a very choppy sea to try a bit of mini surfing and I saw another 2 bodies making use of a local pool. Not that bad then?

But... not enough bodies to go round and Horizon, Marina, Helens Taverna, Costas on the Beach and Heracles are  5 places I can name that are now closed.
(Customers at Armourada though -  One of a few to stay open in the Winter)
Brouklis, Rainbow, Tria and others also plod on merryly.

Not a lot of the beach left and it would take a braver man than me "Gunga Din" to venture to that neck of the woods. ( Gunga Din? - Phil will explain )
And ..... it' only Oct 18th ? - Wotsallthatabout? - No cheap flights anymore?

Cheers All
Negg

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #3398 on: October 18, 2009, 05:56:44 PM »
Well I'll try Eggy mate.

Just did this on wiki...
"Gunga Din" (1892) is one of Rudyard Kipling's most famous poems, perhaps best known for its often-quoted last stanza, "Tho' I've belted you and flayed you, By the livin' Gawd that made you, You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!"

Though Arillas has belted me and flayed me (at least the doggie did...) I am still not a better man than Gunga Din. Just a hopeless, inebriated case of Arillas Addiction.

We sat in the garden of the Greyhound just a couple of hours ago, and total strangers arrived. (Very rare here - you either live here or you're lost...) One had a marked Aussie accent, and the other two just wanted to DRINK with a capital D. We had such a great natter with them, it could almost have been in the Rainbow. Why is it that PhilandJen collect waifs and strays??

As for early close, I know in my bones Arillas has had a terrible year. Business owners have put a brave face on it, but it was obvious to me in July, let alone October. And even worse, the hippies now know it will be next year before we commune with our lovely friends again. The Nut's profits just took a big hit...

Arillas Today? I am more concerned thet we all have an Arillas Tomorrow...

Phil

Offline Ang

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3399 on: October 18, 2009, 07:01:20 PM »
Its a shame to hear that some of these places are closed,Phil Arillas will still be there tomorrow, but it may be time to re embrace the tour operators,as they have the ability to reach out to the customers en mass,may not be ideal to some, but volume can generate profit.
The independent route is definitely my preferred choice, but if there's a shortage of the independent traveller then operators can underpin the business via the package route,
Due to the financial climate which aint going to change over night, folks are looking at value for money,and it has become less value especially this year with flight prices etc,Corfu in general has had a bad time with the tourist season, now some might say there may well be allot of politics around the reasons.

Arillas tomorrow will still be there for you Phil, but things may need a little tweeking here and there and it will be back as busy as ever Im sure
Ang

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #3400 on: October 18, 2009, 07:30:21 PM »
Thanks for the reassurance Ang. Arillas will still be there for me tomorrow, even if it is just a foot of beach and a tent on the pier. I can always take my tins of Mythos...

It is easy to overdo the depression that goes with economic downturn. I feel it especially because the weak pound has squashed my plans to live in Corfu (for a while at least - but not for good.) But like you say
it may be time to re embrace the tour operators,as they have the ability to reach out to the customers en mass

As long as they deliver to our hosts in Arillas I agree. But 6 euros for B&B when they charge the customers 30, is what gets me up in arms. Bananas are the latest case - I adore eating them but when Tescos and Asda screw the suppliers to the woodwork, using their monopoly powers to provide bargain offers, I just buy more vodka.

Arillas Tomorrow? It won't be bereft of PhilandJen - Our adoration of the place is well known. We're not in love with holidays - they are such hard work! But joining in the village's life is really special for us. It is why we live where we do.

Phil

Offline Ang

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3401 on: October 18, 2009, 08:13:26 PM »
As long as they deliver to our hosts in Arillas I agree. But 6 euros for B&B when they charge the customers 30, is what gets me up in arms....

true Phill but maybe its time to raise the bar......and before you say it I dont mean the one on the nut lol
Ang

Offline jebbo

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #3402 on: October 19, 2009, 02:35:08 PM »
Sadly I was one of those (I suspect many) that did not get their usual Arillas fix this summer. :-(

I am, however, going on Thursday as I always really enjoy the last week of the season out there, no matter what the weather is doing, even though many places are closed. I (along with my daughter) will do my best to boost the takings of those places that remain open. :-)

Maybe I will take the laptop and send in some 'real time' reports... ;-)

Jebbo

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #3403 on: October 19, 2009, 04:36:56 PM »
Jebbo

After really heavy overnight rain and a shaky start to the morning we're currenty hovering around that 21 deg mark, and dry,so it's been a pleasant afternoon.

You will still have enough choice of places to eat n drink and, you never know, we could get a big change in the weather. Maybe a few hotties but it does chill very quickly in the evening..

Take yer laptop and become roving reporter for a while!

Cheers
Negg

Offline jebbo

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #3404 on: October 19, 2009, 04:56:43 PM »
Thanks Negg,

Looking forward to it. I have been there in October for the last 3 years so I am used to the variable weather and chilly evenings, so not a problem for me.

Maybe I will see you around the Rainbow/Brouklis/Nut at some point...

Cheers

Jebbo

Booking.com