Author Topic: Arillas Today  (Read 3101722 times)

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
Re: Arillas Today
« Reply #6120 on: December 02, 2012, 12:34:19 AM »
'tis why I love cats. No matter what is going wrong they curl up on your lap and sleep. Missing my Wednesday who did that for 16 years, even on the day she passed away.

Arillas Today is being missed by many, including Jen and me.
Phil

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
« Reply #6121 on: December 02, 2012, 10:06:57 AM »
Arillas Today is being missed by many, including Jen and me.

And me! *deep sigh*
Life is good ;)

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #6122 on: December 02, 2012, 05:00:34 PM »
Wish I was a pussy cat in Arillas with caring "parents"

Greek cats curled up? - Inside? - On a sofa? - WOTSTHATALLABOUT?
Anyway, Arillas today gives us 25mm rainfall , from 5am to 11amm this morning and, at 4:50 pm it is still raining. Must check that rain guage again.
100mm since the afternoon of the 28th Nov. - Hmmm?

Temp sits "luvly" at 12 deg outside but 20 deg inside here so Egg is not budging anywhere tonite. An afternoon binge was held at Armourada with many locals and fun time had. I did a head count of empty Mythos n Amstel bottles afore I departed so I assume it was a fun time.
(I only had 2 - Honest Guv!)

The beach has taken a battering but nothing will be seen of that by April 2013. It will just be a bad dream. - Never happened!

3 power cuts, last night, and 2 this morning but only for 10/20mins.
(We look at it on the bright side though - A saving on the electric bill)

Must go now. All moggies have decided that it's time to eat after their "hectic"
day. They are outside the door later though.
(Soft boiled Eggy? - Not always!)
Cheers
Negg

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #6123 on: December 02, 2012, 06:26:21 PM »
Ah Neill, the binge in Armourada sounds so like me.... have even posted the evidence. Verena cleared the table before Vasillis took the pictures to stop us being embarassed by the mountain of beer bottles. Embarassed? Phil? That is not a word that means much to me....

The sea front looked devastated on Jen's birthday (and the boss and Spiros and Annie and others) but within hours it was cleared up. The pic I posted the day after was of a clear sea road as though nothing had happened. I just wonder how excited I would be sitting in Thalassa while the whole storm unfolded. I would love it, but suspect that Katerina and Spiros would have more sense.

Stay well dear friends. Summer 2013 is just  dream away. 222 sleeps for us. Now I'm depressed. 222???? Wish it were just 2.
Phil

Offline Sara

• Forum Fanatic
    • www.villatheia-corfu.com
« Reply #6124 on: December 10, 2012, 07:45:36 PM »
A few photos of Arillas today ... 10th December. It's a bit battered after the storms we've had recently but still very beautiful.
I usually use Imageshack to upload photos but for some reason I'm not having much success, so here's a link...
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4215399223494.2144747.1240477463&type=1
Sara.x

Offline patrickjohn

• Lincolnshire Yellow Belly
  • ARILLIAC
  • PJM
« Reply #6125 on: December 10, 2012, 09:53:31 PM »
An interesting set of photographs by Sara.  Was very saddened to see my favourite Arillas tree (outside Ina's) has come down.  Have had several photos by that tree, and especially remember Marika's moonlight shot with the tree and Ina's boat.  Hope there is still something Ina can tie her boat to.
Pat

My book"A Policemance Tale" at Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B8BD9MWM

Offline Geoff

• Corfiotophile
  • Arillas Addict
    • http://www.geoff-and-sue.freehighway.net
« Reply #6126 on: December 11, 2012, 10:46:40 AM »
Thanks Sara for thinking of us poor people still stuck in the UK. Unfortunately facebook will not let me view the photos, are they available for everyone to view?
Home is where the heart is - CORFU :-)

Offline patrickjohn

• ARILLIAC
  • PJM
« Reply #6127 on: December 11, 2012, 12:27:47 PM »

This is one of Sara's pictures showing the sad demise of my favourite tree in Arillas.  Hope you can see this one Geoff.
Best wishes
Pat

Offline Geoff

• Corfiotophile
  • Arillas Addict
    • http://www.geoff-and-sue.freehighway.net
« Reply #6128 on: December 11, 2012, 03:00:24 PM »
Thanks for that Pat - it was your earlier comment about this tree that made me particularly interested in seeing the pics, as - like you - I have taken many a shot with this tree in the foreground. Maybe if it is propped upright it might re-root and survive, or am I just indulging in some wishful thinking?
Home is where the heart is - CORFU :-)

Offline patrickjohn

• ARILLIAC
  • PJM
« Reply #6129 on: December 11, 2012, 04:41:51 PM »
Sadly Geoff it looks like a gonner to me.  There are one or two others of the same species towards the jetty but they are much poorer specimens.
Being brought up in Cleethorpes and remembering the 1953 floods I have a good idea of the power of the sea.  Little can withstand it when it exerts its mighty power.
Best wishes
Pat

Offline Sara

• Forum Fanatic
    • www.villatheia-corfu.com
« Reply #6130 on: December 16, 2012, 02:57:30 PM »
Sorry Geoff. You should be able to see the photos now.
Here are some more photos taken today - 16th Decemeber. It's cloudy but very mild. 16 degrees.http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.459114867459796&type=1
Sara.x

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #6131 on: December 16, 2012, 05:15:15 PM »
Thank you Sara. I saw them on Facetube and loved seeing how it looks today.Those who only do forum need keeping in the loop though, and posts like this are special to them.

Arillas Today is a thread I take over when I'm there, but when I'm not it would be special for me to hear a few lines and see the odd pic. Cheek to ask, but please keep posting on your Arillas Today through your winter adventures. You have quite an audience....

love to both from both
PhilnJen

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #6132 on: December 16, 2012, 07:55:48 PM »
Poor Phil n Jen n others!

The last 2 weeks would have "tested the patience of a Saint" as far as I am concerned.

Greenhouse blew away, Car hit up the back-end by someone who couldn't stop quick enough. AND I WAS SOBER!!
Power cuts/surge blew the router and Sky box so no internet for 8 days. 2 wall sockets burnt and fused socket to appliance plugs. Boiler leaked, to wet to do anything outside, hurt my arm.

Winter adventures, Phil?? - Arillas Today will improve tomorrow and this will all soon be a bad dream.

Negg

Offline patrickjohn

• ARILLIAC
  • PJM
« Reply #6133 on: December 16, 2012, 10:01:07 PM »
We've missed you Eggy, and now we know why.  So sorry to hear of your trials and tribulations - we so depend on our electricity supply to keep everything running smoothly.  When it fails or a power surge blows your equipment there's not much you can do about it.
Have also experienced a mad taxi driver shunting me in the rear and know how frustrating it is.
Looking forward to more news as things get back to normal.
Best wishes
Pat

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6134 on: December 17, 2012, 01:22:00 AM »

Powder cuts are really annoying, we have had quite a few in the last couple of days as well. Most of them just as I was cooking dinner!
Once hit from behind at traffic lights, never had the shed or green house blow away, but the garage roof now leaks after all the rain we have had.

Eggy..... I would still come and live with you and Wendy for the winter though :) Even without Internet.

Do hope things improve and your arm gets better quickly so you can carve another giant turkey this Christmas.

Best Wishes.   Val x
The love affair continues.

Booking.com