Author Topic: Arillas Today  (Read 3101805 times)

Offline Paul D

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
Re: Arillas Today
« Reply #6015 on: September 28, 2012, 11:21:15 PM »
This is going to get confusing - there are two Pauls and Heathers! What`s the odds of that.

My Arillas Today is I`M NOT THERE!!!

Paul
Arillas - `perfect antidote to life`s stresses and strains`!

Offline sharonF

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6016 on: September 30, 2012, 05:06:48 PM »
Just returned from a week in Arillas, stayed at the Bardis Sun HOTEL, fab room, lovely spot, so peaceful and just a very short walk to the tavernas etc.  Very good rates with breakfast.  Dorita is lovely.  Met Martin W who arrived on the Monday, lovely guy, great sense of humour, definately getting the whoopee cushion for May Martin :)

We ate at Efi's, had the garlic prawns of course!  Brouklis, we went for lunch on monday and it was Dimitris day off, so sorry we missed you Dimitris but the food was great, lamb chops for Billy and I had the meze, just delicious.  Went to our dear Thomas at Vavilas, food as usual was gorgeous, he got the metaxa out and we ended up at Armourada with the pavarotti night on, great fun.

We ate 5 nights on the run at Portofino, the food was delicious.  It was very busy every night so maybe that is why you thought the service was slow and surly Heather.  We did wait a while one night but it was worth the wait the food was so good.  The waiter does look like he's sucking a lemon sometimes but thats only when he was very busy, he does laugh and joke when he's not running around so much :)

Tony, I had the grandpa's chicken it was delicious, tried to get the recipe off spiro, he said maybe i can have it if i go back in May!

Had lunch at Night Owl, chicken souvlaki for me and belly pork for billy, its well worth the journey up there, the food is cooked on the grilll and homemade chips.  Bumped into Eggy there, real pleasure to see you Neil. Akti for lunch too, so tasty, spaghetti bolognese.

Met Janis and Barry and Mick and Jill with their family. 

Spent a lot of time at Sharons Pool bar, in fact it was our local for the week, great fun with Sharon and the 4 o clock club!

Best welcome back was from adorable little spooley, I called him when I saw him on the road and he ran all the way back to me, massive cuddle.

A very relaxing week , a little of balm for the soul when I needed it the most.

Sharon x

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #6017 on: September 30, 2012, 05:32:57 PM »
Arillas at its best Sharon meluvver. After all of life's traumas it is exactly as you say
a little of balm for the soul when I needed it the most.

Somehow your problems get put into perspective and you start to recover. Whether it is the parties, the meals, or just the peace, who cares. We have said goodbye to all of our olduns, in a variety of circumstances, and some of our younguns too. But for Jen and me, being in our favourite place on earth renews our belief in life. Arillas is not just for holidays....

All the best to yous and Billy.
Phil

Offline PPMMAN

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
Nobody does it like Dida !
« Reply #6018 on: September 30, 2012, 05:49:04 PM »
This is going to get confusing - there are two Pauls and Heathers! What`s the odds of that.

Paul
Another great holiday at Marinaki , Corfoit hospitality at its best with Dida and  all the family . Already booked next year June &
Sept
Two brief encounters with Janis , Hi Janis, catch you on the flip flop
Left my splendiferous hiking stick in the old boat at Marinaki hope some one finda a good use for it

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6019 on: September 30, 2012, 07:45:02 PM »

Two great reports, many thanks to you both for giving us all a little of your holiday.
Glad you had a relaxing time Sharon, you needed it.

Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #6020 on: September 30, 2012, 08:21:16 PM »
2 fab reports ,making me wanna be there now ,,yammas

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #6021 on: September 30, 2012, 08:30:57 PM »
kev, I am always there. My life sentence is without parole. Arillas Today is every day for me. Rain, shine or otherwise. But I am not alone....

Sad bit is I am not in special need, and it is my own decision. But I have now met so many others who get near to being as obsessed as me so I am willing to admit it. Today I am really pining. To quote Paul,

But then, I am in truth?
Phil

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #6022 on: October 02, 2012, 12:57:04 PM »
Here's a quick "Arillas Yesterday" for y'all.

Do you know that yesterday was the hottest October 1st for 5 years?
Wegg has been recording the daily weather since we moved over.
(She logged 30 deg yesterday)

Today it's around 25deg and due to cool down a tad nearing the end of this week. Kes n Cath n all having a good time at a "Local" Villa here and some new arrivals yesterday at Rainbow/Tria and other places.

AND.... It's October!!! - WOTSITALLABOUT?

Martin W still here and having a great time. Hope I didn't frighten him yesterday when I saw him strolling along and swung the Punto across the road towards him. Must have been OK. He didn't jump in the ditch.

Cheers
Negg

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #6023 on: October 02, 2012, 04:57:56 PM »
Had the pleasure of Niell & Wendy round this morning..Wendy working her clogs off making sure all is clean & tidy and Neill looking for something to do...!!(you know I Jest)..looking after us in great style..if we haven`t met too many in Arillas yet its because we cant pull ourselves away...weather been fantastic although beginning to cloud over and humid..poss storm on the way..but who cares....
Tomorow is another day in Arillas...

Offline BlueHeather

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
  • Dizzy Blonde Cat Woman
« Reply #6024 on: October 03, 2012, 02:37:15 PM »
Had a wonderful relaxing 'first but not last' holiday to Arillas...our thanks to Dylan and TonyNew for their input and selling the place to me in the first place albeit elsewhere ---sssshhhh!!!!

Stayed as Rainbow, our room was the back block on first floor - no 6 and really liked the place, our room very spacious with loads of drawer and wardrobe space and plenty of room in kitchen too - thanks to our hosts Dimitris (Jimmy) and Vicky and the kids of course for their warm welcome.... must say Neil it was a nice surprise to meet you so early into our hols - ten minutes after we had unpacked the cases.......... and again a good few times later too. Keep chucking those arrow lad!   A big hi and warm hug to Wee Annie (you know who you are, was lovely to meet you xxx  - and yes you really can type a hello - we won't bite on here ;-) ) and her hubby Gordon and also big Ian (another Kefalos refugee LOL) .........Didn't spend time around the pool at all at Rainbow as we were off out on the bike every day from about 9.30 - only time we used the pool area was for an hour on our first full day there....... to be honest I found the close proximity of the sunbeds a bit daunting - prefer more room but that's just me. Always called into the pool bar about 4.30 - 5 for a few bottles of Mythos though to cool us down!  Had two breakfasts in Rainbow which were very tasty indeed and Vickys home made jam is to die for <3 . Our other brekkie out was down at Marina which was also good and I liked the self service bit with the cornflakes or fruit which was an added bonus too.

Our hols in general - We pre-hired a scooter on the internet a dink 100cc from Olga (delivered by Spiros over in Ag Sephanos) super little bike with guts enough to pull us all over the place and through the mountains down to paleo (and neither of us lightweights) but it was a grand little bike with lots of guts.   Last time we did that trip was way back in 1982 on a tiny clapped out scooter which was worst than anything I have ever seen....we actually had a donkey in a field overtake us on a steep hill we were going so slow and it was waiting at a gate at the top braying at us - cheeky swine!!) .... not this time though as we zipped up and down....grand! 

As you all know - a few days before we arrived a three day storm had more or less taken the beach area in arillas and there was seaweed all over the place - not the prettiest introduction but that is mother nature for you - JCB's did a grand job clearing up and after a few days it was back in business.  Having wheels we went further afield most days - be it through the lovely scented pine and olive groves discovering little villages etc or to the other beaches nearer such as Ag Georgious and Ag. Staphanos..... which we spent a few days on both of these beaches.......... as said above we also went to Paleokastritsa which we had not visited in 30 years - busy as usual with coaches but it was nice to have a good walk around and take photos etc. Then back through the mountains to base......
the rest of the holiday was spent eating and drinking (as you do) .... we ate more or less a different place each evening, only places we re visited twice were Mirage where we also managed to catch a few matches too, Kostas on the Beach and the Pizza place (both times as we were not that hungry).   I think on the whole the tavernas in Arillas are all of great quality and very hospitable,also reasonably priced compared to some other resorts in Corfu (ie Kalami) as said previously the only poor meal and service we got was Portofino but seems like that was a one off from what others have said - my shoe leather would have been softer than the steak I had and Pauls meal was poor as well, plus service very slow, we had been sat perhaps 15 minutes before we got our order taken or a drink brought.not good in my opinion and they were not that busy - still - just must have caught them on a bad night as when we called last year on a day trip there we were warmly greeted and had a nice afternoon there.
We went to the fish taverna V....... but sadly we had not booked a table and they were full - we waited ages for a table but no sign of one emptying so decided to come back another night but didn't actually make it round there again - pity, but our fault for not booking. Also had lovely meals in Boukalis, Armouda, Kostas on the Beach, Mirage, Captains, Grazella, and the one next door, Horizon and somewhere else but just can't think where now!! Also called into Efi's a good few times just for a beer.

On the whole a wonderful holiday all round and one we will be certain to repeat - not next year though as we are already all booked up - however, never say never now we have both finished work and should we be able to get a cheapy last minute then we may be back sooner than 2014............ thanks again to you all for all your help and I will add some photos at a later date.
XCheersX   heather (aka Mrs Blue!)
Women are like angels....   And when someone breaks our wings,
we simply continue to fly......usually on a broomstick.
We're flexible like that   ;-)

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #6025 on: October 03, 2012, 04:04:15 PM »
Thank you Dizzy Blonde Catwoman being so generous with your time and writing such a detailed and interesting report :-)

Going over in a few weeks so looking forward to re-visiting a few eateries you mentioned.

Eileen.x

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6026 on: October 03, 2012, 04:42:59 PM »

Thanks Heather for your very good report, you packed a lot into two weeks. Come back soon, enjoy your future holidays and remember....Arillas awaits your return.

Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline BlueHeather

• Dizzy Blonde Cat Woman
« Reply #6027 on: October 03, 2012, 06:42:17 PM »
Ta Val & Eileen - we will be sure to return, next year we celebrate of 40th Wedding Anniversary and are off to Mexico plus also have a short break in Alicante and two weeks in Agia Pelagia in Crete and then September to kefalos on Kos so all booked up for next year - but Arillas better be prepared as we shall be back in 14 no doubt :-)  When I write a report I always like to do warts and all and should there be anything wrong then I would say as I don't think it's fair glossing over things for people who have never been before....

As a matter of interest - can somebody tell us which apartments do a pick up service from the airport, I know that Annas do and one beginning with an M ???? - somebody said Marverlous do as well but not sure. any others?? And how much do they charge for it?

Offline BlueHeather

• Dizzy Blonde Cat Woman
« Reply #6028 on: October 03, 2012, 06:44:13 PM »
Also forgot to say and I cannot find a way to edit my report - but we did a night in Coconut Bar listening to the band - what a good night it was - had a really thick head next morning mind you . they were excellant!  Can't remember last time we saw a live babnd!

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #6029 on: October 03, 2012, 09:48:59 PM »
Really pleased you enjoyed your stay Heather looks like we may have another Arillas convert lol
Tony

Booking.com