Author Topic: Vavilas fish restaurant  (Read 7939 times)

Offline kriopigi girl

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Arillas Addict
Vavilas fish restaurant
« on: July 04, 2007, 05:28:45 PM »
Last year whilst in Arillas I really wanted to try the fish restaurant up past the Bardis hotel.
However hubby did not !!! stating there was never anyone in there so must be  a bad sign.

This year I was determined to give it a go under protest from other half ( who would eat every night at Brouklis if given the chance)

Well what can I say other than give it a go if you like fish.  Thomas is the local fisherman supplying most of the village. Don't go by the menu just ask him what he has and you can go and look and pick your own fish. It is very rustic and laid back.  The service is terrible  (but who is in a hurry) but the food is delicious and so cheap. One night we had the fish grill for 4 of us Thomas presented this as a huge platter of  a variety of fresh grilled fish. This with starters, wine, beers and desserts came to a ridiculous some of  45 euros for 4 people.

Lovely people the whole family make you very welcome.

Pauline x

Offline Dave n Anne

• Arillas Addict
Re: Vavilas fish restaurant
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 05:37:09 PM »
Hi Pauline

We used to think the same way as your other half about Vavilas , and like you say the service is not brill and always manic but the food is great the people are genuine and the prices unbelievable . So anyone out there dont be shy give it a try you wont be sorry.

Dave  n Anne

Yammas

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 05:41:59 PM »
My friend Michelle always goes there at least once when she is in Arillas but I haven't been for years as Joyce doesn't like fish. Her daughter will be with us for one week in August so may leave them to their own devices and go with Michelle and the gang to Vavilas. I agree it always looks empty and the service is slow but who's in a hurry? I remember the food was delicious and like you, we went into the kitchen to choose our meal.
Sandy x

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 05:44:07 PM »
Yes, we have passed it on numerous occasions and were  always unsure if it was open,, as I have rarely seen anyone there.
After your reccomendation we will certainly be giving it a go.....
Thanks for the post ...
kes

Offline Dave n Anne

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 06:04:48 PM »
Hi Sandy

Why not take them all along they do other dishes apart from fish and for what it costs why not give it a try, if they dont like itthen put it down to experience but at least you will have a great night together .

Yammas

Dave n Anne

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 06:15:29 PM »
Good idea....
Sandy x

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 06:17:40 PM »
A couple of years ago we had just been served our desserts, when Thomas tapped us on the shoulders said goodnight and hopped off leaving us alone!!! We thought it was hilarious...and before you say it, it's not as though we were late or anything like that and outstayed our welcome!! ;-)

Offline Cheryl2307

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 12:13:49 PM »
Sandy they do really nice chicken dishes there too - my son won't eat anything with 'eyes' or 'skin on' (ha ha - don't know how he thinks cows and chickens see!!) but he loved their chicken souvlaki.  It was always busy when we were there last July, some people who were staying at Makris would only eat there.  It's worth a visit!
Cheryl O

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 12:18:45 PM »
Thanks Cheryl - Joyce loves chicken souvlaki (well, she does at Brouklis anyway).
Eileen - so did you have to clear the table and wash up before you left????
Sandy x

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 12:20:43 PM »

Eileen - so did you have to clear the table and wash up before you left????

No :-)... but I was able to freely feed the cats the bits of fish that I didn't like without offending the owner!

Offline Lozicle

• Arillas Addict
  • That's me :)
    • http://www.myspace.com/lozicle
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 02:28:30 PM »
I'm glad you posted this as I've always wondered about that place !
I'll definitely be trying there the next time we're over :D

Offline Hels Bels

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 03:59:21 PM »
We enjoyed lobster there a couple of years ago, bit daunting as it was the first time we had been brave and chose it from the tank. I was a coward and didn't stay whilst it was being cooked, we dissappeared off for 1/2 an hour whilst the deed was done. I have to say it was beautiful and now we are total lobster addicts.

Offline gaye

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2007, 06:13:10 PM »
Vavillas is one of our favourite restaurants. We stayed in the apartments thereon our first visit to Arillas in 2002 and always go at least once. The food is fantastic, fresh and beautifully cooked and Thomas and his wife Giorgia are lovely people.
gaygo

Offline Dave n Anne

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2007, 03:48:50 AM »
I can honestly say that we have never tried lobster but when we were there last year there was a lovely couple who said they always had the lobster as it was such good value at Vavilas , we saw them at least 4 times in 2 weeks . Speaks for itself really.

Yammas

Dave n Anne

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2007, 11:42:11 AM »
We never made it to Vavilas in May, when we hopefully head back next year we will definitely give it a go.

Booking.com