Author Topic: Wildlife  (Read 15096 times)

Offline Hels Bels

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
Wildlife
« on: May 02, 2007, 03:57:58 PM »
I thought about the title of this topic as I didn't want to put anyone off by calling it creepy crawlies. My biggest fear when I'm out in Corfu are the big wasps, I have to admit that I don't recall seeing that many around Arillas, but over by Kassiopi I saw loads of Wood - type wasps. Why is it they always aim for me and choose my bottle of Amstel to settle on!!! So because I have this fear I find myself running off and screaming at the poor defenceless beetles, (the large black buzzing things you see around, they may be bees but I don't get close enough to find out!). I know they are harmless but its the buzzing I don't like.

Onto nicer creatures, the frogs in the stream, the lizards (as they eat the mozzie's), the cicadas, ( I love that sound), the gecko's, the fireflies!!! well can I say more, roll on next week, I can't wait to see this little creatures glowing.

So I suppose for all the lovely things I get to see in Corfu, I'll just have to keep on running and screaming!!

Offline Lozicle

• Arillas Addict
  • That's me :)
    • http://www.myspace.com/lozicle
Re: Wildlife
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 04:51:28 PM »
I'm the same Hels Bels!
I have such a fear of wasps and can severly embarrass myself in public sometimes by running and squeeling like a mad woman. ! :lol:

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 05:10:44 PM »
Dont worry im in the running whilst squealing gang!!  But also arms are a flailing too trying to flap the things away from me, Brett just laughs at me and says how stupid i look!

I dont care, i just have to get them away from me, they always seem to divebomb my head and buzz right in my ears, cannot stand it!!

But the fireflies i do love, it looks great when they are all flying around.

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 03:14:36 PM »
Hels Bels, well thats at least 2 of us that will be running and dodging about next week, I hate wasps and those huge black buzzing things. The rest of the little criters are lovely. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline Hels Bels

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 03:49:02 PM »
I've found a brilliant website where you can download a pdf file and print it off.
Really informative about the wildlife on Corfu
http://www.geocities.com/corfuwildlife/birds.html

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 04:35:11 PM »
nice one.Ta. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline LivingstonFamily

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
  • ThePicOfDaniella
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 06:29:38 PM »
Oh i'm not too fond of the little creatures but when i was about 10 or 11 i used to run around by the pool planting enormous crickets/grasshopper or whatever they were right by my Mum when she was sunbathing hehe.

One thing i do hate though are the pesky little mosquitos i get eaten alive its awful. I got a bite infected last year it was painful. I love going to see the terripins down at the malibu bar though and the tortoises by the back of Kaloudis. I have a verry funny storry about the terripins when i went a few years ago i was quite young then hehe.

xxx

Ps.This is my Dad's account that im using!
Julie- The Sun Soaker
Kev- The Jock
Daniella- The Terrapin Terror

Offline ronmonkey

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
  • andy and the boy, @the atki may2009
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 11:08:56 PM »
i'm a live and let live type of a bloke but i'm afraid that doesn't extend to wasps

Offline harold

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 10:42:14 AM »
The big black Beetles are calle Boubalas and you have something that crawls out of the ground it's called the Onion eater,sally thought a good title for a book The Boubalas and the Onion Eater,but thats as far as she has got
Harold,
Theres only one Altrincham FC

Offline Hels Bels

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 12:20:36 PM »
Thanks for that Harold, I can sound really impressive to my mom when I tell her about them! I'll await for the book to hit the stores!!

We were sitting in the Coconut bar last year when a cricket landed on Kieth's shirt, my goodness did us girlies jump!. I would have cried if it had landed on me!!!

Maggie

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2007, 12:55:46 AM »
My hubby woke one morning last year and found a cricket sitting on his chest looking at him. It was very funny for me, but he didn't half get a fright!!!! (i think the cricket did too).

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 11:09:28 PM »

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 10:33:57 AM »
Well, so far so good. I`ve seen many Bouboulas,1 manic Flutterby, and one very tubby Hedgehog!! Bfn.
Lindypops.

Offline Sara

• Forum Fanatic
    • www.villatheia-corfu.com
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 10:41:58 AM »
Im laughing at all your funny stories, but I'm just the same & I hate those big black buzzy things as well. My biggest fear is snakes. I have read that there are several species in Corfu [ only one is poisonous ] Has anyone spotted any in Arillas.  I have seen one  which fortunately for me was dead/flat/ squashed on the road near the Gallini - I think I would probably faint if I saw a live one, so on most of our walks I do avoid long grassy areas & climbing over dry stone walls !!
Hels Bels - I think we are on the same flight next week.  6.40 am from B'ham.  I'll have to get up at about 2.30am - not worth going to bed really because I know I won't sleep

Offline pg32

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2007, 11:15:53 AM »
I have got to admit that i am no help whatsoever to my wife when it comes to creepy crawlies! I cannot stand any of them and would run a mile at the sight of a spider or cockroach!! The first time i went to Gran Canaria there were Cockroaches everywhere and for the whole holiday i slept with a pair of socks on and a rolling pin next to my bed as i had a horrible thought of them crawling between my toes!! aaaaarrrrggghhhh i hate them!!

Booking.com