Author Topic: Wildlife  (Read 15090 times)

Offline Shuey

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Wildlife
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2007, 11:59:40 AM »
I hate all creepy crawlies especially spiders.  If we get one in the house i freak out and my feet are straight up off the floor.

I haven't seen any snakes in Arillas but can remember walking in the Canal D'Amour in Sidari (the quieter Part, or it was 10 years ago)! and a snake slithered across the road just in front of us!

We saw alot of cockroaches in Lanzarote, there one was in the kitchen drawer with the tea spoons - yuk!  Imagine rumaging around in the middle of the night looking for a spoon and picking one of them up - it makes my skin crawl just thinking about it.

Offline justlynn

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2007, 12:30:40 PM »
pg, my other half is just as bad as you!

I hate spiders too yet I've had to learn to try and capture them by putting a glass over them, slipping some paper between the glass and the surface the spider is on, and then once it is so captured, taking it outside and letting it free.  It makes my skin crawl but I don't like killing them because the awful mess they make is even worse!  (Also they don't really do any harm.)  And Colin is worse than me!!!
In Croatia last year there were big flying bright-green beetles that buzzed and flew into my hair - that freaked me out somewhat!  Maybe these are similar to the black buzzy things in Arillas?

Offline pg32

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2007, 03:37:29 PM »
Lynn/colin using the glass and paper option is, well, basically not an option for me!! I find a heavy catalogue or magazine is the best option to use!! As for Cockroaches they actually make me feel sick! In Gran Canaria one fell off the ceiling and into the sink while my mate was having a shave!!! He nearly p****d himself and cut his chin in the process!! We spotted this little kitten round by our complex chasing and eating them so we bribed the kitten with biscuits and let it have the run of our bungalow and garden area and it used to eat the roaches and keep us safe!!

Offline justlynn

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2007, 05:18:35 PM »
Ha ha I know you what you mean about the heavy catalogue, it's only that I'm even more squeamish when they're splattered!
Will remember the tip about cats if I ever have trouble with cockroaches!
L

Offline Shuey

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2007, 06:07:49 PM »
A magazine works for me too if hubby is not about, but it goes straight in the bin so I dont have to look at the mess!

Offline justlynn

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2007, 12:04:07 AM »
Wot, the magazine as well, Shuey??!
Must admit that is what I do with wasps - flatten them, and as for slugs and snails in the garden, they go on the bird table!!!

Offline Lisa and Steve

• JustLisa
  • Forum Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2007, 09:07:15 AM »
A couple of years ago at the Bardis hotel the children found a bat asleep on the floor of the bathroom. After a lot of shreecking they went and got Bobby from next door to remove it. Have never seen any snakes but often here rustling in the undergrowth, always tell myself that it is just a small geeco.

Offline Shuey

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2007, 01:13:03 PM »
Yes afraid so...  even if i haven't read it.  I just have to make sure its not one of hubbys car magazines.

We get alot of snails leading up to our front door when we have a good down poor.  I do try and move them out of the way but sometimes I do hear a crunch when I have stood on them  oops!

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2007, 07:28:29 PM »
I couldnt shut the front door one night so I gave it a good slam and didnt think anything of it until the morning, I opened the door and a frog was laying over the threshold sort of flattened like a Tom and Jerry movie...  poor little thing and I had to get Mike to remove it..  yuck!   They have lots of frogs in Arillas that make a racket - I shall have to make sure they dont get stuck in the aprartment door!
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline Clowance

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2007, 11:23:13 AM »
Went up to the top of Mount Pantokrator last Thursday (10th May) and there was an absolute plague of black flies or something everywhere. It was so bad we quickly took some photos and drove away, once you had descended a bit there were no more flies. Felt sorry for the "tour de corfu" cyclist who had slogged up to the top and presumably eaten quite a few in the process.
Anybody know if the flies are always there or it was just bad luck?

Saw the fireflies on the beach in Arillas, this made my holiday as I have never seen them before.  But during the day hardly any insects, and no trouble in the apartments except the odd mozzie easily dealt with by  those plug in insecticides. Lots of frogs croaking at night, and the odd brown lizard seen.

Offline Hels Bels

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2007, 03:49:17 PM »
The Fireflies where a fantastic sight to see, they seem to pulsate across the fields. Saw Frogs, Toads, nearly stepped on a snake on the walk up to Afionas (only a little one!). Swallowtail butterflies, crickets, shrikes, even a flock of bee eaters flew over and one landed on the telepgraph wire, absolutely amazing! Didn't get to see the Hoopoe though (Viv did the lucky thing).

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2007, 11:57:37 AM »
I couldnt belive that hedgehog, it looked so different to the ones over here, but it was great to see. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2007, 11:59:21 AM »
Forgot to say, we saw 3 hoopoos and had never seen 1 in Arillas before, has anybody else. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline Hels Bels

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2007, 03:28:15 PM »
We are so jealousa about the Hoopoo's Viv, that was the one thing that my mom wanted to see.

Never mind maybe next time.

Offline pg32

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2007, 03:28:32 PM »
Whats a Hoopoo!!?

Booking.com