Author Topic: Moving to Arillas FAQ  (Read 11842 times)

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
Re: Moving to Arillas FAQ
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2007, 02:32:38 PM »
Haha easier said than done though isnt that Eileen, its too tempting, for me anyway, i just have to have a nosey and see what everyone has typed!!

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2007, 11:12:57 AM »
Me too!  I have to will myself away from logging in and being nosey!  Just morning and evening now....

Just 4 months and 2 stone to lose before we go.... getting excited now! 
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline mumsy2

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2007, 02:07:58 PM »
We are busy packing ready for our move.  I am interested to know how prices compare with regard to white and electrical goods t'v's etc . Is it cheaper to buy there or to ship over.? If moving costs go into the thousands, I feel i would rather spend that money on new stuff than pay for older stuff to be shipped.  Does anyone have any feelings on this?  Marie

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2007, 06:39:09 PM »
I have no real idea on moving to Corfu but my friend moved to Crete about 4 years ago and she bought most of her stuff out there as it costs a fortune to ship.  She shipped her new bed and 3 piece suite though.  No doubt someone can let you know more up to date information.

Maggie

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2007, 09:23:21 PM »
Wouldn't it make more sense to but electrical goods there, then the plugs will be ok, and you won't need to put adapters on them.

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2007, 12:15:54 PM »
Sorry I meant to post in here earlier but I forgot.

Electrical goods such as LCD TV’s, PC’s, etc are cheaper in the UK, it just depends on how much you are willing to spend getting them out there, a very cheap option is drive them yourself, then all you need to do is a hire van.

Another benefit of bringing your own equipment is the FUSED 3-pin plug; in Corfu they only use the 2-pin socket, which is not fused and susceptible to spikes. With the older electricity network and semi-frequent electrical storms these spikes are much more common than back in the UK. If one occurs whilst your TV, PC is on and there is no fuse it will destroy it, whereas all you need to replace on an English plug is the fuse for a few pence. 2-pin adaptors cost next to nothing, all the expensive electrical items at my mum’s house were bought in the UK, they were advised of this mainly due to the fuse issue.

Apart from this everything is pretty much the same standard throughout Europe, TV signals vary a little but if your TV works in the UK it will work in Corfu.

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2007, 11:14:07 AM »
Thats really interesting Joe, I didnt know that about the electrical stuff and the plugs..  That is really worth knowing about if ever we decide to move out there (I can dream cant I?) but would shipping cost a lot out of interest?

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2007, 12:12:02 PM »
My mum used a van so not sure about shipping but I'm sure Neil (Negg) can help with that. You get a lovely tour through Europe with the van and a nice ferry ride from Venice, unfortunately you do have to bring it all the way back.

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2007, 01:42:35 PM »
Wasnt there someone called a "white van man" who makes regular visits to Corfu and is happy to bring stuff over if you are moving.  I read that somewhere, it might not have been on this site though. 

Offline eve

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2007, 01:59:24 PM »
Yes there is, he can be found on another site, his name is Dave, apparently he is very good and very busy! We have just got back and looked at a few places, they are becoming harder to find as an awful lot of us are looking for that same dream. As for prices we were told there are lots of places to buy furniture e.t.c. which compare with u.k. The only thing we heard whines about was the guarantee's apparently not worth the paper they are written on.(so whats new)

Online vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2007, 03:20:06 PM »
Are you thinking about Dave from the Agni site, Im sure you will be able to get hold of him if you go to the site on search on put MacJackson in. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline mumsy2

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2007, 07:02:41 PM »
Thanks Joe,  The electricity spikes is something we didn't know about, would the same apply to fridges and washing machines too? 

As for the white van man he charges £3000 to move, and thats not a full house.

Marie

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2007, 07:06:25 PM »
Yep nothing with a 2-pin plug is fused. There doesn't seem to be many sensible things we do in this great country of ours anymore but a 3-pin plug is one of them.

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2007, 09:11:20 PM »
The white van man Dave McJackson hails from Yorkshire and  makes frequent trips to Corfu.

After obtaining quotes from a few companies we decided on Dave whom we have used many times since.

He is fully insured and his prices for door to door service are very reasonable especially considering that he has to come up to Scotland to collect our goods. 

Dave will combine several part-loads, or can be booked for a full load.

Dave can be contacted here...
mcjacksonsattiscali.co.uk   (I have replaced @ with at to prevent his address being picked up by robots or whatever it is you call them!)

Eileenx

Maggie

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2007, 11:33:48 PM »
I agree with eileen, We had Dave transport some stuff for us, and had excelent service. I thought his prices were very reasonable too. I would definitely use him again.
( and yes he is VERY busy).

Booking.com