Author Topic: Sofrito  (Read 14552 times)

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
Sofrito
« on: January 15, 2007, 12:16:45 PM »
I was hoping somebody could help me. To christen my new cooker I attempted to make Beef Sofrito last night, as I love it so much whilst in Corfu. The instructions I had were very vague but I have been known to dabble in the kitchen and the end product was not at all bad, it looked about right and tasted very nice, however I did hit two problems. The first was the beef wasn't tender enough and the second was I appeared to use WAY to much garlic, proven by the fact that no one will come near me this morning and that my kitchen is almost uninhabitable, so at least I'm safe from vampires. All in all though I consider it a success.

If anybody has any suggestions on how to make the perfect Beef Sofrito or even has a full recipe (with instructions) then I will be eternally grateful, I'm hoping Dimitris may give me a few hints without giving away any secrets of course......

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
Re: Sofrito
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 12:27:58 PM »
Ooh i love garlic, the more the better i say, at least you dont wake up with any teeth marks in your neck :-D !!

Well done on the attempt, practice makes perfect as they say, if you enjoyed it thats what matters.

Offline Eileen

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 12:33:45 PM »
pooeeee...Joe we can smell you from here.... ;-)

I've never tried to make Sofrito yet, but I know there are a few talented cooks on this forum who should be able to help.

But take a gander at this recipe for Sofrito from Corfu....  http://www.greek-recipe.com/static/content/Sofrito_from_Corfu.html

Eileenx

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 12:40:55 PM »
Thanks Eileen, thats actually the page I used to get the ingrediants from (great minds......) but the instructions are a little vague, hence my garlic mishap and ideally if possible I would prefer to do it in the oven. I'm so domesticated.

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 01:14:50 PM »
Right then here is the recipe as it appears in my book, I've not checked the previous online version to see how they compare:

Sofrito.
Veal in garlic and wine sauce.

4 slices rump veal, each 1/4-in/2cm thick
Flour
200ml Greek extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves of garlci thinly sliced
1/2 bunch flat leaved parsley, finely chopped
2 bay leaves
200ml dry white wine
Salt Freshely ground black pepper.

Pound the meat and coat with flour.  Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pan and fry the meat.  Add the garlic, parsley and the bay leaves, season with salt and pepper.  Increase the heat and fry for a few minutes, then add the white wine.  Add sufficient water to cover all the ingredients, reduce the hear, cover, and simmer until the meat is tender.  Serve with baked or mashed potaotes, or rice.

Eileenx

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 01:31:40 PM »
For anyone who is interested in Greek cooking or maybe even just drooling over mouthwatering images I can recommend the following book.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Culinaria-Greece-Specialties-Marianthi-Milona/dp/3833110538/sr=1-1/qid=1168860084/ref=sr_1_1/203-7124642-8807957?ie=UTF8&s=books

It is large, heavy(!) with fabulous photographs and covers the history of regional dishes/wine and beer.  Learn how Metaxa Brandy and Retsina are produced, what ingredients go into Greek feta, where is the sardine capital of the country!

LOL...it even makes a great display prop in the kitchen!

Eileenx

Offline harold

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 01:57:11 PM »
Joe remember Sofrita is VEAL where the caow are locked up and fed on milk from being born until they are slaughtered,the are NOT allowwed to eat grass,enjoy
Harold,
Theres only one Altrincham FC

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 02:03:20 PM »
I've only had veal a couple of times, once was on the ferry, but have to admit I enjoyed it. I have always had the tourist friendly version of Sofrito made with steak, although not as tradiational I prefer it this way. Thanks for that recipe Eileen, it looks like I was pretty close, what sort of beef would you use??

Has anybody else tried to make it at home?

Offline Lozicle

• Arillas Addict
  • That's me :)
    • http://www.myspace.com/lozicle
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 02:05:30 PM »
simmer until the meat is tender. 

See, that's the part that throws me. How long is that ? lol

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 02:11:52 PM »

Ha, ha...until you don't have to spend 10 minutes chewing a piece!

Joe, I'm pretty useless with cuts of beef, I tell the local butcher what I intend making and then he advises! Thats the easy way, thank goodness I trust him!

Offline harold

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 02:16:42 PM »
you are correct joe in what you say about it being made with steak,True veal is very pale in colour,i will eat sofrito if it is steak,but i prefer a good stifardo either rabbit or beef both are delicous(correct spelling viv?).
Harold,
Theres only one Altrincham FC

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 02:29:44 PM »
Yes, when I had Veal on the ferry it almost looked like grilled chicken it was that pale, I just remember how incredibly tender it was. Stifado always sounds nice but I've never had it.

The only way I can tell is to take some out of the pan and test it, I have no idea if there is a more scientific method.

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 05:55:03 PM »
Hi. Interesting to read about the recipes,as an ex proffessional cook. I, myself, would never eat veal, due to the fact that I do not agree with the way it is produced. I won`t bore you, but I always refused to cook it. I have noticed that it`s sometimes best to enquire what the ingredients are in a dish, before ordering! p.s. Garlic is good for the heart Joe. Love it. Don`t forget, it`s a natural "aroma". I`ve tried Greek dishes at home, but they never come out like in Arilas. There`s only one answer to that-------------------book a ticket. Back soon.
Lindypops.

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007, 06:16:31 PM »
If I’m honest Lindypops I wouldn't knowingly eat Veal either. It was March when I was last on the ferry and had been in Arillas for nearly a week, at this time of year the restaurants or more accurately restaurant were very low on everything and there had just been a ferry strike, all you could get to eat was pizza, Pork or Lamb chops. After a week I was getting beef withdrawal so ordered it on the ferry. I was that hungry I wolfed it down without noticed its suspicious colour, it was only after eating I was told it was veal, doh. Have to be honest it was very nice and it really hit the spot but I wouldn't normally order it.

Checking back at the recipe it looks like I used 6 times more garlic than was recommended, that’s very good news its good for the heart, doesn’t really help my poor colleagues who have had to sit next to me all day though, ha ha.

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2007, 06:24:55 PM »
Hi. Interesting to read about the recipes,as an ex proffessional cook.

Whey hey Lindypops you have now set yourself up as our resident cookery expert :-)  How handy is that...for the rest of us that is!!!

Keith had the misfortune to try a veal dish when we were in Rome in September.  He only choose it as there was nothing else on the menu that he would eat so he thought he'd risk the veal.  YUK, it came in a white sauce with mashed potatoes...just this revolting dish of anaemic  looking food.  The rest of us choked when we saw it, but tactfully declined from commenting until we saw his reaction first.  Needless to say it went uneaten,  afterwards we headed straight for the nearest late opening sandwich bar...yes another cheese and ham sarnie :-(

Eileenx

Booking.com