Author Topic: Mon Amour - Kavadaddes  (Read 47096 times)

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
Mon Amour - Kavadaddes
« on: November 25, 2006, 08:41:09 PM »
Anyone got any feedback/views on this Taverna?
We went, for the first time, in September this year.  I didn't really take a good look at their Menu as I "Zero'd"  in on the mixed grill and it was decision made. I just wonder what sort of starters I missed and what other people, who have eaten there, thought of it.
It's certainly a place I need to visit again.
Cheers
Negg

Offline dorothy

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
Re: Mon Amour - Kavadaddes
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 08:46:51 PM »
We had a brilliant night there in July.  Food great and really cheap. Did you use the free minibus transfer? -bit scary on the way back - i'm not sure how much Takis(sp?) had drunk!!  Any way we will definitely be returning next year.

Dorothy
Dorothy

Offline kes

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 10:37:58 PM »
Our first visit to Mon Amour was about 5 yrs ago,There was just a small room with an open fire crackling away and a few locals having a drink.(It was in May).

The food was very basic and no menu,you had a choice of spit roast lamb or stuffed pork served with salad & roast spuds..the spuds were roasted in the juices from the lamb,and were the best I have ever tasted.The lamb again was as good as it gets.
Next course was a bowl of sliced apples.As I said very basic ,but together with the local vino and good company, we have had some great evenings out.
     It has now it seems(we went last May) started to cater more for tourists and has a wider choice of food.Although still a great evening out I do believe it has lost some of its character.
As for the trip back in the minibus  I can`t seem to recall.....nothing to do with the vino ...honest..    (even so we will still be back in May for the spit roast)

I was just getting over the Arillas withdrawel symptons and after reading these posts I`m depressed again

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 07:36:58 PM »
Dorothy - We drove there. We were invited out for the evening by "Mythos & Metaxa" . Haven't seen them on the Forum for a while. - Hope our company wasn't that bad.!!
""" Where are you guys!!! """

We went there on a Saturday night and it was packed, probably 50% Greek so that's a recomendation in itself. ( Bumped into a few Forum members that night I believe )

Kes - I think the food is still basic but, as you both say, very good and value for money. I hope to be going back a few times next year to go through their meat menu plus, of course, looking at the starters this time.
Cheers
Negg

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 11:51:00 AM »
Its funny you should mention this, my Mum called last night and spent a large amount of the Conversation talking about the Mon Amour, she absolutely loves it and its one of the very few places that stays open all through the Winter, a sure sign of how good it is. She goes there often with her Greek and English friends and has never had a bad word to say about it, the menu is not extensive by our standards but the quality is supposed to be outstanding, my Mum always has fish but she told me the T-Bone steak was so good there (there was no room on the plate for anything else) she has that now.

I have never been myself but I have been promised a visit this Christmas and I can't wait.

Offline gaye

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 09:13:16 PM »
Brouklis and Mon Amour are our favourite places to eat. The food is fantastic and the atmosphere terrific.

Starters are the usual : dips, vine leaves etc, but the spit roasts are stunning. We too met many forum visitors there!
gaygo

Offline BBB

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 12:00:46 PM »
Mon Amour Kokkinos I believe is a grill not a restaurant which has a different licence. It only serves grilled or roast food so you won't be offered dishes like moussaka. If you read Dimitris' account of real eating in Corfu you will find that the Greeks do not use Menus they just order what is being cooked that day. The starters are all home made using seasonal/local produce. The Greeks do not eat dessert after a meal but you may be given fresh fruit of the season. Their own red wine is excellent.
The locals eat there hence it is open all year.

http://www.arillas.com/food_lessons.html

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 02:27:41 PM »
Thanks BBB
I believe Kavaddades is renowned for it's Local Wine so I will certainly give it a try next year. I enjoy all grilled and roast meats and can live with very well with what's cooking on the day.
Guess I might go back again more than once.!!
Regards
Negg

Offline gaye

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 01:07:14 AM »
Has anyone been to The Night Owl? Great!
gaygo

Offline Corfusoon

• Helios Court Villa
  • Arillas Addict
  • Helios Court Arillas Corfu
    • Luxury Villa in Arillas
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 08:55:36 AM »
We love Mon Amour! The food is great, always simple, leaning on the
quality and freshness of its ingredients rather than complicated sauces etc.
You normally get a choice of lamb, pork, chicken and in season fish.
Never seen a menu there.

They will collect and deliver you to your accomodation free if you  book a table.
They are open in the winter evenings and last February we were grateful they
cleared a table right by the fire for I and my family.

The white wine.... kind of odd. Definite overtones of cider.Goes great with the food though.

Great place I look forward to eating at.
Style, Luxury, Tranquillity
Helios Court Villa, Arillas, Corfu.
http://www.corfuvilla.holiday

Offline cath1066

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 02:28:10 AM »
How do you arrange the minibus transfer, and will it take you there as well?  It sounds fantastic.

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2006, 08:42:29 PM »
I'm fairly sure that the Minibus not only delivers you back but takes you there. I think they do parties of 8 so various people get together. I'm not sure where it's arranged though. You should get a much more informative answer soon as a lot of Forum Members have used this Transport.
Cheers
Negg

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2006, 11:26:41 PM »
Hi Cath. Have heard that you get collected and returned, though not tried it yet. Will do next year. All the best.
Lindypops.

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2007, 04:47:25 PM »
Belated Mon Amour Post/Review (Its another long one, sorry!)

Even before I arrived in Corfu I was receiving texts telling me how fantastic it was so by the time on arrival I was very much looking forward to a visit.

We ventured there on the 27th, the night before I came home and it was a very cold night, I remember this because I shivered all the way there, it had been lovely in the day but we were definitely suffering for it now. There were four of us in total, Paul, my Mum, Helen (who ran the Sundowner in San Stef) and little old me.

Being the first time I have visited, only driven by in the past, I was unsure what to expect and if we would be the only ones there. First impressions were very good, we arrived at about 8 at night and it looked very warm and inviting with all the vines growing out and to the front of the restaurant. When I went inside the first thing that surprised me was how big it is, there must be nearly 40 tables if not more and it did look very modern with a large bar and tastefully done Christmas lights. There was also a massive TV screen at the end of the bar, but it was unobtrusive and during the cold winter nights it helped project a little extra atmosphere into the large building.

There were about 4 other tables all locals squeezed into the corner near the bar right next to the fire (and TV), we took the hint as it was pretty cold in there and sat at the closest free table to the fire, we immediately felt welcome. At this time of year it felt like being in someone’s home, there was no distinction between the customers and staff, when someone comes to you table you just assume they are taking your order. My mum told me that Paul loves it here as the service is very quick (not what I normally expect in Greece, I love the laid back nature) and boy was she right. To warm ourselves up we had some house white wine, I was warned that it was nice but to take it easy as the stuff is like rocket fuel, this turned out to be very good advice as it wasn’t long before we were all nice and merry. A bottle of water was also brought thoughtfully over to our table without asking which was a very nice touch.

No menu was offered although in Summer I believe they do have a full comprehensive menu available, ordering simply consisted of asking for something and being told “yes” or “no”. Fortunately as I was amongst experts and had a good idea what I wanted before I came this wasn’t a problem. Everyone ordered in Greek except me but the owners did speak good English, Sagnaki’s for everybody and a salad for starters followed by steak for main course.

Freshly cut bread was immediately brought to the table followed very quickly by our starters, told you they were quick and some more wine (oh dear). Paul had been raving about the Sagnaki and he was right it was delightful, about the size of a potato cake back home but a little thicker, the cheese tasted fantastic. We also had a bowl of salad, mainly shredded cabbage and carrot in olive oil dressing, I ate loads of this which is strange seeing I’m not a salad person.

No sooner had we finished the starters than the mains arrived, a little to quickly for my Mum but I was in the eating zone so full steam ahead. Four massive T-Bone Steaks (I have a picture of the steak and my mum’s happy face when she saw the size of it) were brought to the table, each one filled their respective plates and a few chips were sprinkled into any available gaps, no other accompaniments were included or necessary, I tell a lie we all got half a fresh lemon to squeeze over the Steak. If you go for presentation in your food you may be a little disappointed at first but if you’re a meat and two veg person like me you’ll love it. As ever the proof is in the eating and this is when I realised why I had heard such good things, Greek cooking seems to infuse the blandest of meats, pork, chicken and beef with such rich flavours that seems to compliment the dish perfectly yet not be overpowering. In the UK we use different sauces, in Greece herbs and spices and now I know which one I prefer, this must be way its so hard to find gravy, they have no need for it their meat is tasty enough. Every mouthful of the steak which had been cooked just to my taste was delightful, there was no need to have anything else with it, I like my Tomato sauce back home but the thought never popped into my mind here. My biggest gripe was that I got the smallest one but a simple pout at my Mum and she begrudgingly shared some of hers. If you haven’t gathered it was very nice and I hope you are as hungry as I feel right now typing this, ha ha.

The plates were cleared and some fresh fruit pieces and more wine arrived (hell no). I didn’t see any coffee facilities but then we didn’t ask. It was at this time I noticed I wasn’t cold anymore, the steak and wine doing their respective jobs. For the rest of the night we just sat back and relaxed, they also appear to have a take out part at the front and it was funny to see the locals pulling up on their scooters and coming to the big windows ordering their food, beats a donnar and chips any day. Also a special mention must go the toilets, they are the nicest I have ever seen in Corfu, massive, bright and spotless, it even says you can flush the loo paper, My mum says they were brand new, I think she was right.

Having had a wonderful night we paid and left, the bill was around 60 euro for all of us, not bad at all if you think that includes drinks and I was given a cigarette lighter with built in torch, how about that for clever thinking; The restaurant had also gotten quite busy and much more livelier during the night but thanks to the wine I didn’t seem to notice until I left. On the way home we drove through Kavadades and admired the Christmas lights on the trees stopping at the Red Lion in Sidari for a few nightcaps and so I could thoroughly beat Paul at pool.

What a wonderful night out we all had, I can imagine the experience is a different in summer but for the better or worse I really can’t say. No Arillas/Corfu bias, I always like to be honest here this really is a fantastic restaurant and I highly recommend you all check it out on your next visit, it’s a real treat in winter but I will admit it’s a long way to go for a steak for most of us.

Just before I go my Mum, Paul & Helen all decided to go to Mon Amour for New Years Eve and the on to Bar 38 in San Stef later in the night. I was texting her all night and that got a message I was not expecting

“Happy New Year and lots of love. We are in Mon Amour and your friend Eileen from Linakes has just joined us xx”

Well what are the chances of that, from what I hear they had a fantastic night and were invited to Eileen’s for new years day but failed to make it due to severe hangovers, they were out till 5 in the morning the dirty stop outs.

I’m back off to bed now, all the best.
Joe

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2007, 05:09:46 PM »
Well i must say it sounds like you had a really good time at Mon Amour, the description of the steak was making my mouth water!

We shall definitely have to give it a try when we're there in May.

Question for anyone, what does saganaki consist of, i keep seeing it mentioned but i didnt try this last time, so if i know what it is ill know then if i like it!??!

5am??!  Good on them i say, they done better than me, i was in bed and asleep way before that!!

Back to bed Joe....you not well??

Booking.com