Author Topic: Walking around corfu  (Read 335612 times)

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
Walking around corfu
« on: October 03, 2018, 09:53:43 AM »

HI

My nane is Kevin i have been a horticulturist since 1984 went to capel manor college for three years ang got all city and guilds 1 - 2 - 3. As some members know the last twenty years i work in south kensington london a lovely job and met some famous people. The gardens i worked in we had to be careful with some plants because children are using the garden. We are talking about poisonous plants well most plants are poisonous some very toxic plants and others just give you a rash.

On holiday this year in Arillas i saw a couple holding a Angel's trumpets flower [ Brugmansia were once known as Datura ]
this is a very poisonous plant they were taking photos of the flower head i went over to tell them but they looked at me if i had to much ouzo so i left them to it.
I am not trying to frighten you but be aware be safe and have a good holiday and not sitting in A&E

We all walk around Arillas and see some lovely plants different times of the year

Neil sent me a photo it was a Ecballium Elaterium but it is more commonly referred to as the "exploding cucumber" or "squirting cucumber".the seeds you can eat but the plant is  poisonous

So if the boss lets me i woud like to list plants what are poisonous and to be aware of and other good plants to touch the plants and be safe  all with photos

If you got any questions home or abroad get in touch with photos and good details of the plant

kev

Offline TerryW

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Re: Walking around corfu
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 02:10:26 PM »
I can remember seeing  Bev and yourself, in the day time,  at Broulis one day about five years ago. Dimitris gave us both some grapes to try, and he did warn us to wash them first. As we walked back to the sea front I stopped to talk to Theo, he saw the grapes and also said wash them before eating them. But, I was dying to try them as I thought that a little bit of dirt won't hurt me, so I put one in my mouth. I wished I hadn't as I thought my mouth was on fire with a mouthful of "mustard". It was the spray on them that was the problem not any dust or dirt. So, the moral is, when walking around the village "listen to what people tell you". Did you wash yours Kev? :-)

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 02:17:19 PM »

HI Terry

well i am still here i can not rember i have had to many ouzos since then haha its the ouzo saved me

kevin

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 09:24:37 AM »

DONT BE SCARED WE ALL GOT POISON PLANTS IN OUR GARDENS

HI

We start with A

Scientific name: Aconitum variegatum
Higher classification: Wolf's bane - European monkshood

Aconitum ( known as monkshood or wolfsbane) is a perennial herb often grown as an ornamental plant due to its attractive blue to dark purple flowers. All parts of the plant, especially the roots, contain toxins. Aconitine is the most dangerous of these toxins. It is most noted as a heart poison but is also a potent nerve poison. Raw aconite plants are very poisonous.They are used as herbs only after processing by boiling or steaming to reduce their toxicity.

Poisioning from the aconitum plant can occur if it is ingested or handled without gloves. ... Aconitum is also known as monkshood and devil's helmet due to its resemblance to a drawn hood, and is known by some as wolfsbane, because its poison is so toxic that it was once used to kill wolves Marked symptoms may appear almost immediately, usually not later than one hour, and "with large doses death is almost instantaneous". Death usually occurs within two to six hours in fatal poisoning (20 to 40 ml of tincture may prove fatal). The initial signs are gastrointestinal, including nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. This is followed by a sensation of burning, tingling, and numbness in the mouth and face, and of burning in the abdomen ALL WAYS GET MEDICAL ADVICE

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 09:59:12 AM »

HI

Greece has much to offer besides its stunning history and breathtaking coastal areas. Greece has over 900 different species of wildlife and over 5,000 species of flora within its borders. Over Greece's glamorous history, many plants have been introduced to Greece and have become a recognized part of Greece's landscape. Many plants are rooted deep in Greek mythology. Greece also hosts some of Europe's largest and scariest animals--both on land and in the sea.

Land Animals
In the Findus Mountains, located in western Greece, brown bears roam. These bears are the largest carnivorous mammal in mainland Europe. The Eurasian lynx and the western roe deer call Greece's mountainous regions home. In the south, the wild boar and brown hare can still be found. The golden jackal and the western European hedgehog also live in the south.

Large Aquatic Animals
Greece is surrounded by the Mediterranean Sea and has thousands of islands within its borders. The Monk Seal and the Mediterranean sea turtle are listed on Greece's endangered species list. A number of sharks also live in Greece's coastal waters. These species include the Hammerhead shark, Blue Shark, and the Great White Shark.

Birds
The Minvera owl is considered a symbol of Athena, who had the city of Athens dedicated to her. This bird is depicted on the 1 Euro coin. The Pilgrim Falcon and the Upupa Epops birds inhabit the mountainous and forested areas. The pelican, stork, and the egretta birds love the copious amounts of coastal and lake areas.

Trees
Greece has had many trees imported and established over the time it has been involved in world trade and conquest. The olive and carob trees are established in Greece now, but were originally from Africa and the Middle East. The pomegranate and laurel trees have a presence in Greek mythology and sporting tradition. The mastic tree was used as a glue, embalming material, and even to fill cavities.

Flowers
Many of the flowers that grow in Greece's countryside are connected to Greek folklore and history. The hyacinth flower, which clings to Greece's rockier areas, was created by the blood of Hyacinthus, a lover of Apollo, a Greek god. Daffodils--which thrive in rocky, arid areas--were seen as symbols of death and reputedly covered Hades, the god of the underworld. Orchids, cliff roses, and Christ's thorn are all flowers that thrive in Greece's rocky and dry areas.

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 01:40:53 PM »

HI

Bougainvillea Family: Nyctaginaceae

bougainvillea do not have flowers they are In botany, a bract is a modified or specialized leaf, especially one associated with a reproductive structure such as a flower, inflorescence axis or cone scale. Bracts are often (but not always) different from foliage leaves.

The sap of the bougainvillea plant is only mildly toxic, but if ingested in large enough quantities, it can lead to illness. Bougainvillea's leaves are not toxic, but a prick from the plant's sharp thorns can lead to dermatitis, a skin rash typically caused by an allergic reaction.

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 01:51:45 PM »

HI

Carpobrotus

Carpobrotus, commonly known as pigface, ice plant, sour fig, and Hottentot fig, is a genus of ground-creeping plants with succulent leaves and large daisy-like flowers. The name refers to the edible fruits. It comes from the Ancient Greek karpos "fruit" and brotos "edible"
The genus includes some 12 to 20 accepted species. Most are endemic to South Africa, but there are at least four Australian species and one South American.

Carpobrotus chiefly inhabits sandy coastal habitats in mild Mediterranean climates, and can be also found inland in sandy to marshy places. In general, they prefer open sandy spaces where their wiry, long roots with shorter side branches form dense underground network, which extends much further than above-ground prostrate branches. Plants thrive well in gardens, but can easily escape to other suitable places. They easily form wide-area ground covers over a sandy soil, which easily suppresses indigenous sand dune vegetation when Carpobrotus is introduced to a non-native area.

Medicinal and nutritional value
Carpobrotus leaf juice can be used as a mild astringent. Applied to the skin, it is a popular emergency treatment for jellyfish and similar stings.When mixed with water it can be used to treat diarrhea and stomach cramps. It can also be used as a gargle for sore throat, laryngitis, and mild bacterial infections of the mouth. It can also be used externally, much like aloe vera, for wounds, mosquito bites and sunburn. It is also used to treat skin conditions. It was a remedy for tuberculosis mixed with honey and olive oil. The fruit has been used as a laxative.

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 09:02:25 AM »

HI

Callistemon bottlebrushes

Scientific name: Callistemon
Family: Myrtaceae

Callistemon species have commonly been referred to as bottlebrushes because of their cylindrical, brush like flowers resembling a traditional bottle brush. They are mostly found in the more temperate regions of Australia, especially along the east coast and typically favour moist conditions so when planted in gardens thrive on regular watering. However, two species are found in Tasmania and several others in the south-west of Western Australia. At least some species are drought-resistant and some are used in ornamental landscaping elsewhere in the world.

A safe plant for humans Non-Toxic to Dogs, Non-Toxic to Cats,Horses 

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 11:16:36 AM »

HI

ACANTHUS Bear's breeches sea dock, bearsfoot or oyster plant

Acanthus is a genus of about 30 species of flowering plants in the family Acanthaceae, native to tropical and warm temperate regions, with the highest species diversity in the Mediterranean Basin and Asia. This flowering plant is nectar producing and is susceptible to predation by butterflies, such as Anartia fatima, and other nectar feeding organisms. Common names include Acanthus and Bear's breeches. The generic name derives from the Greek term ἄκανθος (akanthos) for Acanthus mollis, a plant that was commonly imitated in Corinthian capitals.[2][3]

The genus comprises herbaceous perennial plants, rarely subshrubs, with spiny leaves and flower spikes bearing white or purplish flowers. Size varies from 0.4 to 2 m (1.3 to 6.6 ft) in height.

MOLLIS

OTHER TYPE LEAF

Acanthus leaves were the aesthetic basis for capitals in the Corinthian order of architecture; see acanthus (ornament). Several species, especially A. balcanicus, A. spinosus and A. mollis, are grown as ornamental plants.

Acanthus leaves also have many medicinal uses. Acanthus ilicifolius, whose chemical composition has been heavily researched, is widely used in ethnopharmaceutical applications, including in Indian and Chinese traditional medicine.Various parts of Acanthus ilicifolius have been used to treat asthma, diabetes, leprosy, hepatitis, snake bites, and rheumatoid arthritis. The leaves of Acanthus ebracteatus, noted for their antioxidant properties, are used for making Thai herbal tea in Thailand and Indonesia.

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2018, 11:04:27 AM »

HI
I have done a few plants the ones in red  are TOXIC PLANTS and the ones in green are used for culinary, medical
Some pepole have a allergic reaction on a good safe plant scientist say it is in the make up of your body

I bet a few of us have walked around Arillas, Afionas, San Steff or up past the the brewery and back down by the Galini also  to the Akrotiri Cafe and looked at the scenery that includes wild life plants trees even people. How many of us have looked at a plant fruits and said thats nice i know i have and also what the heck is it is it safe to eat the fruitis it safe to touch the flower.
You might not think abut eating the fruit but a flower you see is so dainty you go over to hold it in your palm to take photos none of us think a pretty little flower could be danger.
So i am doing this article so you can walk around and be safe and know what plants do what and the names

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2018, 09:06:22 AM »

HI

ACHILLEA millefolium /HERB

Achillea millefolium, commonly known as yarrow or common yarrow, is a flowering plant in the family Asteraceae. It is native to temperate regions of the Northern Hemisphere in Asia, Europe, and North America. It has been introduced as a feed for livestock in places like New Zealand and Australia, where it is a common herb of both wet and dry areas, such as roadsides, meadows, fields and coastal places.

In New Mexico and southern Colorado, it is called plumajillo (Spanish for 'little feather') from its leaf shape and texture. In antiquity, yarrow was known as herbal militaris, for its use in stanching the flow of blood from wounds. Other common names for this species include gordaldo, nosebleed plant, old man's pepper, devil's nettle, sanguinary, milfoil, soldier's woundwort, thousand-leaf, and thousand-seal.

Yarrow poisoning is rare, the tannins in the plant give it a bitter taste that tends to dissuade animals from over consumption. ... In pregnant animals yarrow may cause miscarriage and it is not recommended that pets be allowed to nurse from an animal that may have recently ingested Yarrow.

Is Yarrow poisonous to humans?
Dangers. In rare cases, yarrow can cause severe allergic skin rashes; prolonged use can increase the skin's photosensitivity. ... According to the ASPCA, yarrow is toxic to dogs, cats, and horses, causing vomiting, diarrhea, depression, anorexia, and hypersalivation.

Is Yarrow safe?
Yarrow is LIKELY SAFE for most people when taken by mouth in amounts commonly found in food. However, yarrow products that contain a chemical called thujone might not be safe. Yarrow is POSSIBLY SAFE when taken by mouth in medicinal amounts.

Its essential oil contains chemicals called proazulenes. The dark blue essential oil kills the larvae of the mosquito Aedes albopictus.

Opopanax, also known as opobalsam, refers to a number of gum resins, including the one from A. millefolium. It is traditionally considered to have medicinal properties.

Some pick-up sticks are made of yarrow.
uses. Yarrow has been used to induce sweating and to stop wound bleeding. It also has been reported to reduce heavy menstrual bleeding and pain. It has been used to relieve GI ailments, for cerebral and coronary thromboses, to lower high blood pressure, to improve circulation, and to tone varicose veins

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2018, 02:44:32 PM »

HI

Aloe vera

Aloe vera
Aloe vera  is a succulent plant species of the genus Aloe. An evergreen perennial, it originates from the Arabian Peninsula but grows wild in tropical climates around the world and is cultivated for agricultural and medicinal uses. The species is also used for decorative purposes and grows successfully indoors as a potted plant.
It is found in many consumer products including beverages, skin lotion, cosmetics, or ointments for minor burns and sunburns. There is little scientific evidence of the effectiveness or safety of Aloe vera extracts for either cosmetic or medicinal purposes. Studies finding positive evidence are frequently contradicted by other studies.

Oral ingestion of aloe vera, however, is potentially toxic, and may cause abdominal cramps and diarrhea which in turn can decrease the absorption of drugs. IARC studies have found ingested non-decolorized liquid aloe vera is a possible carcinogen when eaten or ingested by humans.

Traditional medicine
Aloe vera is used in traditional medicine as a skin treatment. In Ayurvedic medicine it is called kathalai, as are extracts from agave.:196 for aloe:117 for agave Early records of Aloe vera use appear in the Ebers Papyrus from the 16th century BC,and in Dioscorides' De Materia Medica and Pliny the Elder's Natural History – both written in the mid-first century AD. It is also written of in the Juliana Anicia Codex of 512 AD.

Commodities
Aloe vera is used on facial tissues where it is promoted as a moisturizer and anti-irritant to reduce chafing of the nose. Cosmetic companies commonly add sap or other derivatives from Aloe vera to products such as makeup, tissues, moisturizers, soaps, sunscreens, incense, shaving cream, or shampoos. A review of academic literature notes that its inclusion in many hygiene products is due to its "moisturizing emollient effect".

Other potential uses for extracts of Aloe vera include the dilution of semen for the artificial fertilization of sheep, as a fresh food preservative, or for water conservation in small farms. It has also been suggested that biofuels could be obtained from Aloe vera seeds

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2018, 08:28:20 AM »

HI

Tagetes Marigold

Scientific name: Tagetes
Family: Asteraceae
Kingdom: Plantae
Higher classification: Daisy family
Did you know: Marigold is usually yellow, orange, red and maroon in color

Tagetes species vary in size from 0.1 to 2.2 m tall. Most species have pinnate green leaves. Blooms naturally occur in golden, orange, yellow, and white colors, often with maroon highlights. Floral heads are typically  to 4–6 cm diameter, generally with both ray florets and disc florets. In horticulture, they tend to be planted as annuals, although the perennial species are gaining popularity. They have fibrous roots

Depending on the species, Tagetes species grow well in almost any sort of soil. Most horticultural selections grow best in soil with good drainage, even though some cultivars are known to have good tolerance to drought.[5]

Habitats
Shores, ponds, springs, quiet waters in streams, ditches, wetlands, wet meadows, waterside swamps and meadows which are prone to flooding, damp hollows in broad-leaved forests, snow-bed sites, sometimes underwater.

Marigold has been used in treating various skin conditions because of its anti-inflammatory properties. It is said to help in treating dermatitis, acne and diaper rash. Aids in wound healing. This herb is also used to promote wound healing through its direct effect on slow-healing wounds Edible Marigolds. ... However, the blooms are edible not only for livestock, but for humans, too! Dried and crumbled petals can pinch-hit for oh-so-expensive saffron in casseroles, breads, and omelets, adding a unique, subtle flavor to these dishes. 

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2018, 08:38:34 AM »

HI

If anyone has got a questions just ask i do my best

OLEA EUROPAEA  Olive tree

The olive, known by the botanical name Olea europaea, meaning "European olive", is a species of small tree in the family Oleaceae, found in the Mediterranean Basin from Portugal to the Levant, the Arabian Peninsula, and southern Asia as far east as China, as well as the Canary Islands and Réunion

Cultivars
Hundreds of cultivars of the olive tree are known. An olive's cultivar has a significant impact on its colour, size, shape, and growth characteristics, as well as the qualities of olive oil. Olive cultivars may be used primarily for oil, eating, or both. Olives cultivated for consumption are generally referred to as table olives.
Since many olive cultivars are self-sterile or nearly so, they are generally planted in pairs with a single primary cultivar and a secondary cultivar selected for its ability to fertilize the primary one. In recent times, efforts have been directed at producing hybrid cultivars with qualities useful to farmers, such as resistance to disease, quick growth, and larger or more consistent crops.

What are the benefits of olive leaf?
The antioxidant nutrients in black olives impede this oxidation of cholesterol, thereby helping to prevent heart disease. Olives do contain fat, but it's the healthy monounsaturated kind, which has been found to shrink the risk of atherosclerosis and increase good cholesterol.
In traditional medicine, the olive tree leaves are used against high blood pressure, gout, arteriosclerosis and rheumatism. The oleuropein contained in the leaves and the resulting Oleacein of the drying process are responsible for the blood pressure lowering properties.
Olive leaf extract fights harmful microbes and boosts the immune system. ... As a natural antimicrobial, olive leaf extract offers benefits over pharmaceutical antimicrobials because it does not kill beneficial bacteria, which can lead to an overpopulation of harmful bacteria. Nor does it exert any harmful side effects

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2018, 08:39:00 AM »

HI

Urtica Dioica Common Nettle

Urtica dioica, often called common nettle, stinging nettle (although not all plants of this species sting) or nettle leaf, is a herbaceous perennial flowering plant in the family Urticaceae. It is native to Europe, Asia, northern Africa, and North America, and introduced elsewhere. The species is divided into six subspecies, five of which have many hollow stinging hairs called trichomes on the leaves and stems, which act like hypodermic needles, injecting histamine and other chemicals that produce a stinging sensation upon contact ("contact urticaria"). The plant has a long history of use as a source for traditional medicine, food, tea, and textile raw material in ancient societies.

Formic acid is present and responsible for the initial pain but the longer term effects are caused by histamine, acetylcholine and 5-hydroxytryptamine. Brushing the plant produces a stinging on the skin of varying intensity. There is almost no-one who has not been stung by the nettle.

General Uses
Stinging nettle has been used for hundreds of years to treat painful muscles and joints, eczema, arthritis, gout, and anemia. Today, many people use it to treat urinary problems during the early stages of an enlarged prostate (called benign prostatic hyperplasia or BPH). It is also used for urinary tract infections, hay fever (allergic rhinitis), or in compresses or creams for treating joint pain, sprains and strains, tendonitis, and insect bites. U. dioica has a flavour similar to spinach mixed with cucumber when cooked, and is rich in vitamins A and C, iron, potassium, manganese, and calcium. Competitive eating
In the UK, an annual World Nettle Eating Championship draws thousands of people to Dorset, where competitors attempt to eat as much of the raw plant as possible. Competitors are given 60 cm (24 in) stalks of the plant, from which they strip the leaves and eat them. Whoever strips and eats the most stinging nettle leaves in a fixed time is the winner. The competition dates back to 1986, when two neighbouring farmers attempted to settle a dispute about which had the worst infestation of nettles Textiles and fibre

Nettle fibre, stem, yarn, textile, jewellery with glass and nettle yarn
Nettle stems contain a bast fibre that has been traditionally used for the same purposes as linen and is produced by a similar retting process. Unlike cotton, nettles grow easily without pesticides. The fibres are coarser

Booking.com