Author Topic: Taking Cash?  (Read 30556 times)

Offline dimitris

• Administrator
  • Forum Fanatic
  • 尚 尚 尚 尚 尚
    • www.arillas.com
Re: Taking Cash?
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2015, 02:07:21 PM »
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/28/eurozone-greece-limits-idUSA8N0Z302P20150628

Foreign card holders will be allowed to withdraw the maximum limit set by their banks!

Reuters that the withdraw limits is only for greek card holders.

todayin Arillas tourists could take money out of our ATM....
 I also saw  a refil bank car going to fill up with money.
Dimitris Kourkoulos
Brouklis Str 7
Arillas 49081
Corfu Greece
+30 26630 51418
www.arillas.com
Brouklis Taverna
The 10 things you don't know about Arillas

Offline Dai

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2015, 05:10:49 PM »
I also saw the ATM being filled today, and withdrew some money from one ATM in San Stef yesterday. Might be a problem in rhe cities but seems fine here.

Offline TerryW

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2015, 06:37:04 PM »
There was still money in the ATM yesterday (Sunday), and I will check again tonight. The worst part for me at the moment, is listening to the local people, who are very worried about the decisions that will be made over the next few weeks. There is also a lot of worry that people will now cancel holidays to Arillas. The situation is changing day by day, but life in Arillas is as
 good as ever. So don't cancel any holidays. We are back in September and I will also be booking for next year. This lovely country really needs you. Just bring plenty of Euros.

Offline NickBoardman

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2015, 10:13:19 PM »
I found this on BBC News, hope it's useful.  It backs up Dimitris post.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33205269

Offline graham

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2015, 10:03:31 PM »
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/28/eurozone-greece-limits-idUSA8N0Z302P20150628

Foreign card holders will be allowed to withdraw the maximum limit set by their banks!

Reuters that the withdraw limits is only for greek card holders.

todayin Arillas tourists could take money out of our ATM....
 I also saw  a refil bank car going to fill up with money.

Once I get there you can withdraw from my personal cashpoint Dimitris, you just insert food and wine instead of a plastic card and cash comes falling out! Can't wait!
A woman has the last word in any argument, anything a man says after that is the start of a new argument!

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2015, 10:19:52 PM »

Yes Graham..... That's just the way we will be working too. 💶 = 🍲🍷🍺 = happiness.

Val n Bill x
The love affair continues.

Offline Ursula

« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2015, 02:05:54 AM »
Given the news that the Greek people have voted No and the strong advice to take cash I was just wondering about the pre-paid card. In the past we have taken Euros and withdrawn at the cash point and was planning to take only cash with us in September. But a friend suggested the pre-paid card - I don't know a great deal about it but I am understanding it works a bit like a debit card??
Does anyone know if there are places in Arillas who will accept this? How will it affect them? Are we best sticking to our original plan of taking Euros? Is it worth doing?
Thanks
Ursula x

Offline Paul Clark

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
    • Pauls Cancer Blog
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2015, 10:02:52 AM »
I've used Pre-Paid cards in the past, as long as somewhere takes cards them you should be ok. Perhaps a mix of card & cash might be an idea. From my own view I'm bringing cash to last us our 12 days, with a back up of some sterling & debit cards just in case.
Follow my journey against throat cancer at  http://paulscancer.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2015, 06:41:17 PM »

All the advice in the press at the moment is to take cash, I think that doing this will help the business establishments because it will keep the cash flowing in the village.

A card payment of any sort would go straight into the business owners bank and the way things are going with the banks restricting withdrawals in Greece could cause problems.

The cost of a safe deposit box is not a lot...and passports, tickets and valuables such as jewellery and mobile phones are safe as well.

Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2015, 07:19:57 PM »
Good advice , Val. Bringing euros will keep up the cash flow for local business owners.

Negg

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2015, 09:46:10 PM »
Even P&J are bringing extra cash, but not a suitcaseful (which we don't have, anyway.) We don't believe that we will have any bother at all, but will stay a few days in front of what we spend this time. (Usually we get more cash when are nearly broke - thank you Eggy for all the times you have rescued us from our lack of planning.)

Nobody, not even the EU, know exactly where the OXI vote will take us. But I feel sure it is the start of the regeneration of the Greek economy,  and in the meantime we must enjoy the wonderful hospitality and welcome the Greek people give is for nothing in Arillas and the whole of Corfu and Greece.

Phil

Offline Ursula

« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2015, 12:47:15 AM »
Good point well made!!! keeping the cash flowing in the village. Cash Euros it is. Thanks folks for your advice
Ursula

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2015, 11:44:07 AM »
Nobody really knows what will happen over the next few weeks in Greece and Arillas. Taking Euro's is a must. I took a lot more than usual and I also topped up every time I passed the ATM. I paid for car hire with cash and for everything else except the Hotel balance. I use a pre paid FairFX card to get money out of the ATM and also topped this up online so that I knew I had a good exchange rate.

If you are going in the next few weeks try to take as many Euros as possible because paying cash will help the local people. We gave bigger tips than normal as we felt "guilty" that us Brits are in a good position, with a good exchange rate, whilst local people were restricted on their cash withdrawals. It is a big worry for the the people in Greece and I had many conversations about their fears and worries. We all have to hope that a solution is found, this week, to keep Greece in the Euro.

Try to drink Corfu beer instead of Mythos, as the brewery needs your support. The buoyant supplies of beer to the large cities of Greece have dropped considerably which is hitting production at the brewery.

Lastly don't cancel your holiday. Arillas is better than ever and they need our support. We are back in September and we have booked for for 2016.  Arillas still has that "Special Magic" that doesn't cost a single Euro.

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2015, 12:35:32 PM »
Very well said , Sir!

Negg

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2015, 01:15:04 PM »
We are here at the moment. There is a rumour some places may stop taking card payment as banks may charge too much . Definitely bring plenty of cash. No problems with ATM's at moment. Prices similar to last year.

Booking.com