Author Topic: It's all Greek to me  (Read 10220 times)

Offline cypress

• Arillas Addict
It's all Greek to me
« on: April 12, 2015, 02:04:57 PM »
How good is your command of the Greek language? Mine is embarrassingly poor. As, all of us who have been know, just about everyone in Arillas speaks the English language impeccably - some villagers speak just about every other European language without any problem too.

This year I'd like to at least attempt to communicate a few sentences even if I make an idiot of myself in trying. I'm ashamed to say that all I know after all these years of going to Corfu and other Greek islands/mainland is Efkharisto, Kalimera, Kalinichta, and something that sounds like 'pae sto kalo' (go to the good) - a passing priest said it to me in Parga many years ago and I like to use it occasionally.

Do you try to speak the Corfiot language or do you do as I do and rely on the fact that we really don't have to?

Offline Paul D

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
Re: It's all Greek to me
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 09:20:39 PM »
Yes, I feel the same. Having been many times to Corfu and other parts of Greece, my command of the language is useless.   Have to say, though, that I can now read it quite well, if not totally translating it.

It is a difficult language to master, I think.  One day, I hope to speak it just a little. Should have listened more to my uncle when he was here visiting.

Yammas, Paul
Arillas - `perfect antidote to life`s stresses and strains`!

Offline Rachel B

• Forum Fanatic
  • When my fridge is empty, so is my heart
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 04:45:40 AM »
Same here Cypress - a little bad isn't it :-/

Like you, i just know a few words and considering the amount of times i have been to Greece, i should know way more. I was pretty good at languages at school as well, so i have no excuse really. 

I am going to take this post as a big kick up the backside and make an effort to learn some. I have a month til i go in May and just under 4 until my August visit, so that is more than enough time to learn some basics at least!

Thanks for instigating this Cypress :-)

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 09:58:15 AM »
There should still be the "Hugo's Language Course" available. (Book plus CD's)

And libraries used to stock the "Pimsleur" course again in book plus CD.
Pimsleur for example helps you create a sentence. --
eg. Greek for - BEEER , then ONE , then CAN I , then "HAVE" then "PLEASE" - Before you know it you say "Can I have one Beer please.
Then it expands the verb. "Can we have two Beers"  , Beer can become Ouzo or the bill or the menu.

Both courses are very good and take you from the basic and build your confidence.

I can "get by" with the Greek I have learnt but it is very difficult when any answers/replies are at full speed.
I should be fluent by now by most of our Brits are a tad lazy and Greeks want to learn English from us, but they do appreciate the efforts we put in.
Anyway , what chance do I have when I failed my English language exam at School.

Negg

Offline M n M

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 11:14:36 AM »
Hi Negg

At my school we had no chance, they tried to teach us english (not very well) one day for about 10 minutes they tried to teach us french , but gave up, but I was fluent at speaking Latin, but never understud what I the words meant.
I can order beer in greek, german and english, everything else I can point at and smile.
See you soon my old luv.

Mick

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 03:28:40 PM »
Kirie Mikalis  Xero skoleio itan skata yia sas. thistikos ta ellinka mou then ine kala - Katelavo tipota.
...... alla xero katalavenis. issos Katalavenis tipota.

(if you can then translate it to me, then you are on the way up. Maybe you can correct all my mistakes)

Imey mono anglessos , katalava tipota.

C'mom guys .... get your thinking caps on!

Negg

Offline M n M

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 10:24:14 PM »
Neill,

With reference to google on my computer, the translation was as follows;-

Sir Michael I know school was your shit hello. thistikos me a police PRESS INR well - nothing captured.  but I know you understand. Issus understand anything.
IMEI only anglessos, he understood nothing.

My reading between the lines from you is something like this,

Michael, I know your school was not good but do not let the thought police capture your ideas, just say you are english and understand nothing.

Do I win an ouzo or two, it may help me remember.

Ttfn. Mick.

Offline Rachel B

• Forum Fanatic
  • When my fridge is empty, so is my heart
    • Instagram
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 01:38:31 AM »
The only word i knew from that was 'Tipota' ....and that's only because i just learnt that last night.

I have found some useful videos on a YouTube channel called Greekpod101 - I have learnt 13 words and the numbers 1 - 20 since last night.. go me! :D haha

Offline cypress

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 10:46:03 AM »
I've only learned 'megali byra me ena bol me pago parakalo' - must work harder! :-)

Offline cypress

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 10:49:56 AM »
Oh and 'ti proteineis?'

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 11:13:10 AM »
Neill,

With reference to google on my computer, the translation was as follows;-

Sir Michael I know school was your shit hello. thistikos me a police PRESS INR well - nothing captured.  but I know you understand. Issus understand anything.
IMEI only anglessos, he understood nothing.

Not bad , but yia sas , as two words means for you. not hell0.  This is one of the many difficulties when greek is spoken quickly
(Hard if a Greek offers you something and says "Yia Sas" and you say "Hello" back and they say "Ochi, Yia Sas" and you say "Neh , Yiasas"
Get my drift Mick?

Negg

Offline M n M

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 12:54:39 PM »
Neill, blame Google not me, I accept no responsibility for anything I say or do as I was dragged up and wolloped as and when it happened.
Is there a claim for the blame??? Lol.
Keep smiling Mick.

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 04:02:22 PM »
Lets see. I know quite a few Greek Words:-

Retsina, Ouzo, Tzatziki, homous, mousakka, Pastitsio, Soutzoukakia, Souvlaki, gyros, Briami, Styfado, Fricasse,  Kleftiko, feta,
meze, Bekri meze,  Ceftalia,  Strofilia, baklava,  Melitzanosalata, taramasalata, Spanakotyropita and Tyropita. Does it matter that it is all food?

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 06:35:54 PM »
Its all you need Sonia ! :-) 
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 10:11:47 PM »
After that selection of goodies, Sonis, all you need is:-

που είναι η τουαλέτα

Negg

Booking.com