Author Topic: Travel Insurance  (Read 2283 times)

Offline Jo Wissett

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Travel Insurance
« on: March 22, 2014, 09:14:54 PM »
Every year, I do a quick internet search for a silver-ish standard of insurance for us all which usually comes out around £20 odd quid. Watching a holiday watchdog programme this week, it was saying that you must declare any health issues or you may find that the insurance company will not pay out should the claim be related to this health ailment.

I can fully understand this but correct me if I'm wrong I have never noticed a section to declare anything that may be a health worry.  I have high blood pressure which is under control with medication but is this something I would have to declare, and if so where do I do this? Sorry if this is a particular blonde question!

Offline catherinestani

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
Re: Travel Insurance
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 09:41:24 PM »
there is a place to do it my blood pressure is a bit high so i did a quote as if i had been told it was and it doesnt put it up my friend is diabetec and we did it for her if not ring and tell them so ur covered

Offline Angela66

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 09:53:40 PM »
Hi Jo
As Catherine said, just ring up and get a phone quote if you can't find somewhere online to declare the concern.  Better safe than sorry.  I used to have to declare Olivia's asthma and used to pay an extra £5 to get it covered.  Alternatively you can 'exclude' the condition from your cover but then if something goes wrong the insurers will try and link whatever happened to the excluded condition so that they do not have to pay.  E.g. You trip and break your leg but the insurers state your blood pressure caused the dizziness that caused you to trip so no claim allowed!

I admit to being risk averse but for a few extra quid I think better safe than sorry xx

Angela xx

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 10:05:35 PM »
With Angela on risk averse. Our travel insurance comes with the bank account, but we have no diagnosed conditions to declare. Sometimes worry if they'll pay out if I collapse in front of a tourist coach and get run over after a tall night in the Coconut....

Phil

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 10:54:29 PM »
You really should declare any ailment you are having treatment or medication for, or have had treatment for, as Angela said.... if you need any treatment and it is in any way connected to your ailment, ie Phil, if Jen had a fall.... your insurance would not cover you.

My baby brother had a kidney removed when he was three years old because of a non malignant tumour, he has neither medication or check ups, he is now fifty years old but has always declared this on his insurance, if he got an infection in his other kidney whilst on holiday and needed treatment his insurance would be void if he didn't do so.

Anyone whose insurance comes with their bank account should check very carefully what they are actually covered for, as some of these policies are not worth the paper they are printed on.
The love affair continues.

Offline catherinestani

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 11:01:24 AM »
as anyone read small print on aving a drink some will get out of paying using that top dog are good with there wording we use them and to that expensive

Offline alex

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 03:04:00 PM »
i have used topdog this year, as i am a diabetic, it only cost me £3 extra for a single trip, but i have peace of mind if somethink happens.

Booking.com