Author Topic: Restaurants  (Read 9528 times)

Offline Sinbad

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
Restaurants
« on: March 21, 2014, 01:23:18 PM »
Hi everyone, returning to Arillas in June this year after many years of being away unfortunately.  :(

Not sure how it has fared through Greek's financial difficulties.  Can you tell me if my favourite restaurants are still open - Brouklis (I'm sure that is given Dimitrius' hard work on this website!), Arillas Inn, Mon Amour, Akrotiri, Graziella, Vavilas and Dionysos in Afionas?

Any new suggestions gratefully received.  Soooooo excited to be going back again,

Pam

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
Re: Restaurants
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 02:08:09 PM »
Arillas Inn isn't :-( .
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline Sinbad

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 02:11:52 PM »
Oh what a shame.  I assume the Leon is still at the Ammos Bar though?

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 02:19:57 PM »
Only ever been in there once so I wouldn't know him to be hinest . For some reason the place didn't really appeal to me although I know it does to many
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline Jo Wissett

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 03:09:58 PM »
Yes Sinbad all there apart from the Arilla Inn. The grill bar opposite Akti now no more but there is a new one next door to the Marina that serves similar stuff.  Everything will be as perfect as ever and waiting for you.

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 04:51:59 PM »
Sinbad

You will be spoilt for choice. If you are here for 2 weeks then look at it as ......

"Sinbads Great Adventures" or the "14 voyages of Sinbad" " - better than 7.

All these old movie titles - Gotta headache again!

Negg

Offline Geoff

• Corfiotophile
  • Arillas Addict
    • http://www.geoff-and-sue.freehighway.net
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 05:42:18 PM »
Well Eggy - since you mention Sinbads adventures and a headache then I suppose that you can just consider yourself lucky that you are not the Hydra :-)
Home is where the heart is - CORFU :-)

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 11:48:06 PM »
Hydra?

They say that 2 heads are better than 1, but 5 heads? - All with a headache?
I could not afford the anadin!!

Negg

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 10:38:07 AM »

Or the time to sleep off all those hangovers Neill ;)

Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 11:14:35 PM »

Sinbad, I am sure that you will find great changes, but no change at all. Arillas as you know will always be welcoming....some places will close and reopen and then will become just as popular again. I am sure that at sometime in the future the Arillas Inn will open again, as other places have done.

Welcome back to the forum, enjoy your holiday in June we will be there until 6th.......maybe we will meet :)

Val x

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 11:58:19 PM »
Intrigued you ask about Akrotiri. We now have a fantastic Akrotiri, styled as a lounge bar, owned and run by Nikos Goudelis at the highest point between San Stef and Arillas. A very special place.  But only a few years old. Was there another Akrotiri a while ago?

You don't mention Calypso, which was one of our haunts in 2002/3, but is now closed.

Also try Night Owl in Afionas. The best chicken souvlakia in NW Corfu, and very beautiful Linda and Nikos serving them.

Phil

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 12:13:06 AM »
Also wanted to mention, Dionysos, although spectacular views and ovely warm people, I always felt that their food was just ok. Last year we were pleasantly surprised! It was excellent and beautifully presented.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 12:19:10 AM »
Only managed to go once Jo, but it was very special, and excellent food.

Phil

Offline Sinbad

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 12:44:17 AM »
Hi everyone, thank you for all the responses.  It all sounds as wonderful as I remember, even though there are a few changes.

I mentioned Akrotiri - I have obviously remembered the name incorrectly - as I was trying to think of the name of the restaurant on the seafront near to the road by the Kaloudis Village / Hotel Thetis Palace. I used to go there using the back road from the Mathraki studios.  It was a quiet restaurant but the food was lovely.

I'm afraid I don't recall the Calypso restaurant, that's one I managed to miss.  Where was it?

Dionoysos I absolutely love walking up to for lunch, which was usually my daily Greek salad.  The views are just stunning, though have to say the visit was spoiled on one occasion thanks to the wasps!

Really looking forward to coming back, arriving late on the 6th June and staying for a fortnight.  Hope the weather will be good :)

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 12:57:01 AM »

The restaurant you are thinking of is Eftihia (?) known to all as Efi's up the steps from the front or down the lane from the Thetis Palace, great food all fresh.... The garlic prawns are out of this world.

Val x

Booking.com