Author Topic: TIPS!  (Read 4462 times)

Offline Jo Wissett

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
TIPS!
« on: August 13, 2013, 12:25:39 AM »
Out of interest what is the accepted amount that we should tip please. We never know if we are being too measly! Also, do you tip if you just say have a couple of drinks, or after the taxi to the airport etc? Would be interested in your thoughts.

Offline Vaughan & Angie

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
Re: TIPS!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 12:45:25 AM »
Good subject Jo, we never know, the worry that we may be judged. Though in truth in Arillas, are we ever judged?
But to be grateful, but not stingy.
discuss
V&A

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 01:00:35 AM »
Yes its a bit of a taboo subject isn't it. In England I quite often round up the amount but only if the service has been good. We generally always have great service in Arillas and always leave something.

Offline Rachel B

• Forum Fanatic
  • When my fridge is empty, so is my heart
    • Instagram
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 01:13:35 AM »
Like you said Jo, i also tend to round up the amount and depending on the bill total, if it doesn't seem quite enough, i'll add a couple of € extra.

As for the taxi to/from the airport, i'm not sure - i'll be paying €54 as it is, so i reckon there's a little profit being made already on that. He'll get €55 though because i'm hardly going to sit there & wait for my €1 change! lol

Rachel x

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 01:25:13 AM »
A couple of years ago, we were leaving a taverna (I won't say which one) and were chased and handed back the tip we had left "You left your money!!!!" Needless to say I didn't take it.

I think times have moved on, but I also think that if you obviously enjoyed your food, and compliment them on it, even the staff (if they have any - many don't) are much happier than picking up a few euros in tips.

We always leave a large tip at Vavilas, because we always feel we have robbed them when the bill comes. It is a difficult area. Like me clearing tables in the Nut etc, which I do routinely in UK, I wonder if I am getting it wrong. Hana has got used to me now, but I hate leaving a place in a sea of mess that wasn't there when I arrived.

Phil

Phil

Offline Angela66

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 05:33:28 AM »
Hi All

I travel a bit with work and wherever I go I tend to leave 10% of the bill as a tip when eating out.  For drink tabs I round up or buy the bar person a drink if I have been there several times.  Interestingly Phil at the Tria returned the compliment so I may be overdoing it a little :)

Regards
Angela xx

Offline Meg

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 12:40:16 PM »
we also left a tip when arilla inn was open and waiter returned it also inviting us to come back for drinks on the house we loved this place and used it frequently along with porto fino it would be lovely to see problems solved and it open again. next year will be our 13th visit who knows!!!!

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 12:43:02 PM »

Phil, I am like you, in tavernas I scrape and stack the plates, move glasses to the side of the table......that is if I can do it before the very attentive staff, in the Nut any glasses go to the bar before we leave, as for tipping, we have often been chased after with cries of "you forgot your change" and as for Thomas at Vavilas we always leave a large tip sometimes on the table (because he argues about taking your change), and then run before he gets the ouzo or Metaxa out. He feeds you delicious food, lovely wine, wonderful hospitality and when you pay him he wants you to drink all his brandy or ouzo.

We stay at the Mathraki and Nico is always telling me off for clearing the table after we have eaten.
 The boys at Graziella though have got my measure, they arrive at the table en mass now before I can do the clearing up!!

Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 01:13:09 PM »
We always give around 10%, but I think just as important as the tip, or maybe more so, is to really show your appreciation for the food and the service.

Offline harold

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 03:30:10 PM »
I dont tip in England and in Kerk i leave it to Sally
Harold,
Theres only one Altrincham FC

Offline daisyday

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 03:37:10 PM »
Strangely enough Jo I was wondering the same thing as this will be our first private booking so we will be arranging a taxi and I was wondering if the cost is around 55 Euros do I top it up to 60 (say 10%). 

I usually tip 10% at all the tavernas, if the bill is 36 Euros I would leave 40 but if it is 38 Euros I may only leave 40, depends on the service and what change I have, if I have enough I would make 38 up to 42 Euros for the tip.

I generally tip the cleaner at the end of the stay depending on how clean the room was!  And for drinks - depends - if we have 2 frappes at 5 Euros sometimes we leave some small change sometimes we don't.

But my sort of rule of thumb tends to be 10%, I work for an American company and am often surprised when being taken out by my American Managers that they tend to leave around 20% (in the South of England).  Think local restaurants must love them!

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 05:26:51 PM »
Sounds very similar to what we do so thanks for that. Although never even thought about tipping the cleaner and now I feel really bad!! The thing is, I don't think we have ever come away from a taverna or bar without being given something complimentary so it probably cancels out any gesture by us!

Offline emeralddragons

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 01:00:32 AM »
On the Brouklis Taverna home pages you can find an article called "Greek Food Lessons". It is written by Dimitris and includes a few tips about tipping.
http://www.brouklis.com/index.php/food-lessons.html
Emeralddragons

Booking.com