Author Topic: Cost of meals and drinks  (Read 9597 times)

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
Re: Cost of meals and drinks
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 10:05:04 AM »
I would certainly book a table, so not to be disappointed. The end of August can still be very busy.

After 17 years it would be interesting, for the Forum, to hear your opinion of all the changes etc.

Cheers
Negg

Offline PMC

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2013, 10:13:53 PM »
Ill definitely keep you posted. I can remember it like it was yesterday

Paula

Offline Jo Wissett

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 12:37:14 AM »
And I reckon that there will not be another 17 year gap before you are back! Our routine is always, decide where we are eating that evening, one of us (ie: Mick!) sauntering up mid-afternoon and book a lovely table with sea-view. Perfecto!

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2013, 01:00:02 PM »
I was pleased , last night, to meet with "PMC", Mick , Paula plus daughter and hope I am not "gun jumping" by telling y'all that they are enjoying.
DONCHERKNOW!
Apologies from me, though, as darts night at Armourada was a busy one.
I wish I could have had more time for a chat.

Cheers
Negg

Offline Eclectic_Blue

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 12:56:55 PM »
I have to say that we found Corfu in general a very expensive place to eat out, not just in comparison with recent years but generally.

Quality varies too and that's not something I would have said a few years ago.

Brouklis excellent as ever, Graziella less so and the service at some places (Thalassa, Horizon) painfully and unnecessarily slow.

Impossible to compare restaurant/taverna prices with Britain because they're such different types of eatery and the rubbish exchange rate doesn't help but a Corfu holiday is far from cheap these days and it's silly to pretend otherwise.

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2013, 02:48:42 PM »

Sorry Electric_Blue but I and many others would have to disagree with you.
Granted we all have our own opinions

Last night we dined at Graziella, very busy but we had our order taken within 5 mins. of being seated. We waited no longer than we would have waited anywhere in the UK for our meal.

Three courses all fresh food....no frozen food served there. The meal for two......

Homemade tomato soup, grilled courgettes.
Sword fish, fresh vegetables.
Fresh fruit salad.
Litre of white wine.

Thirty two euros, nice chat with the family, complimentary glass of wine each before we left....followed by hugs and kisses and goodbyes.

Tonight we will pass the same taverna while we eat elsewhere......but we will receive a handshake or hug and an invite to "see you soon" and a hug and kiss as we pass on the way back.

Tell me that this isn't honest good value in the busiest month of the season
without telling me different?

Yes it's very different from the UK. Lets face it all the restaurants at home are interested in is profit, not friendship.

Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline daisyday

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2013, 03:38:57 PM »
Agree totally Val and we have visited many other European countries - Cyprus we found more expensive and Croatia we visited a couple of years ago was very expensive.  Not so sure on cost of other Greek villages as it is a while since we have been anywhere but Arillas .... but Arillas particularly we have found the food quality to be much better (than places like Kos Town), and as you say Val, where else could you eat as well as that and know that the food hasn't been microwaved, stock cubes used, etc. etc.

We think it is fabulous value and fabulous people.  Can't wait for my first retsina on arrival!  Last year we were paying about 8 Euros for a litre of house wine - 3 years ago we were in Crete and paid 10-12 Euros for a carafe and not sure there was a litre in it .... so carry on the good work Arillas!

Offline gaye

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2013, 03:55:53 PM »
I don't think that anyone on this forum is "pretending" that holidaying on Corfu is cheap, we simply genuinely believe it to be so. I agree with comments made by Bill and Val and Daisyday about value for money, quality of food and hospitality wholeheartedly. I came home with 1200e in travellers' cheques!
gaygo

Offline daisyday

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2013, 04:19:51 PM »
Wow you did well but must have taken a lot of money gaye! 

No holidays are cheap full stop.  If you decide to go on holiday then I presume you can limit the costs by doing some of the cooking if you have an apartment .... but for me it is all about abandoning the cooking.  When the kids were small we would come off the beach and make up rolls and buy cheese/ham etc. but now there is just my husband and myself part of the joy of breaking up the day is say popping to Effies and we can quite happily choose a few bits like sardines/tzatziki and perhaps a Greek salad, small jug of wine and a large bottle of water and while away a good 1-2 hours in the shade chatting all for less than 20 Euros - fantastic value I think. 

Roll on - 9 days - this has got my taste buds going .....

Offline Ron and Sue

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2013, 05:01:35 PM »
If you think that Arillas is expensive to eat out then you have surely not tried France,Spain,Cyprus or Germany lately.I know that some resorts in Greece are dearer than others but most compare very favourably with other Continental countries.

Offline daisyday

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2013, 05:22:52 PM »
We visited Barcelona earlier this year for my birthday and our evening meals out were approx. 70-80 Euros (yes, I know it was a city) and mostly had quick lunches on the go and these were very expensive for what we go.

We had one meal in a restaurant near to our hotel first night we arrived (as we were tired) and had to actually return it - had ordered some gourmet burgers and chips (just what we fancied - normally tend to eat local food but we were tired) and when my husband's was overcooked and mine was completely and I mean completely raw in the middle - just browned on the outside.  When we told the waiter he just shrugged and said "these things happen"! 

I just know this wouldn't happen in Arillas......  quality and customer satisfaction matters.

9 sleeps, 9 sleeps!!!

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2013, 05:38:29 PM »
Last night, guys.........
.......... Stuffed Pork Roll with Greek roast potatoes plus a large chunk of very deep mousaka plus 2 retsinas. - Not bad for e19.

Not telling you where though because, in my opinion, that value for money is all around Arillas plus it's neighbours.

And...... I had a gyros pita , in Corfu Town, late morning e2.20
e2.20? - Corfu Town? - WOTSTHATALLABOUT? -

Cheers
Negg

Offline Rachel B

• Forum Fanatic
  • When my fridge is empty, so is my heart
    • Instagram
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2013, 08:10:31 PM »
I wouldn't say that food & drink in Arillas were expensive at all - My most expensive meal was €26 and that included one dish itself being €14.. but it was seafood.

Dining somewhere equivalent in the UK would have been around the same, if not more.
A local italian restaurant local to me costs around £60 for 2 people, 3 courses & wine!

A 3 course meal, retsina, water & a baileys frappe in Arillas..  was well worth the €26 in my eyes - not forgetting the beautiful views you get for free (well, that's only if you don't count the cost of the holiday! haha)

I took €510 with me - this lasted me throughout the week, including a €55 transfer, 3 organised days trips and 2 trips of my own, €25 to keep apartment an extra 5hrs, food, drinks, icecream, 1 or 2 (okay maybe 5) trips to the bakery lol, gifts etc.. I know this post is about food & drink but being able to have the week of bliss that i had for €510 is money well spent to me.. one of my best holidays

Offline bullyman

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2013, 03:14:22 PM »
I thought Greece had reduced VAT on food services from 23% down to 13 % on 1st August as a measure to help stimulate tourism and drive the prices down for consumers, that must  be helping keep prices down.

Offline daisyday

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2013, 03:37:40 PM »
We have just returned and found prices no different to last year - main courses 7-10 Euros depending on where you eat and more importantly - wine was still about 8-9 Euros per litre!  Excellent value.

Trip prices with Olga appeared the same etc. etc.  All excellent value.

Booking.com