Author Topic: Fisherman's Cabin Agios Georgios  (Read 10838 times)

Offline bertieb

Fisherman's Cabin Agios Georgios
« on: April 27, 2012, 01:45:19 PM »
hi all, we arrive on the 11th May and we are hoping to pay a visit to the Fisherman's Cabin restaurant at the end Agios Georgios bay (i think), anyone have any info re. opening days / times etc, accessible by car & is it any good ??.

Offline JustL@@KiN

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
    • Arillas Tourist Map UK
Re: Fisherman's Cabin Agios Georgios
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 02:23:46 PM »
bertieb

To View The Location Of...

Akrogiali Fish Taverna, San George, Corfu, Greece

Click On The Map link below...

Link: http://arillasmap.awardspace.com/googlemap/?item=322

I have eaten there and would highly recommend :)

To View The Location Of...

Fisherman's Cabin, San George, Corfu, Greece

Click On The Map link below...

Link: http://arillasmap.awardspace.com/googlemap/?item=323

Unfortunately this was not open when I visited :(

Webpage with opening times...

http://www.agiosgeorgios.co.uk/fishermans.htm

Enjoy

JL
Author Of Arillas Tourist Map UK - http://arillasmap.awardspace.co.uk/

Offline Geoff

• Corfiotophile
  • Arillas Addict
    • http://www.geoff-and-sue.freehighway.net
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 03:42:21 PM »
Hi bertieb.
I have eaten at Fishermans Cabin and thoroughly enjoyed it.
You can drive there, BUT the track is very bumpy so if you are going to be in a Hire Car I would recommend that you don't try it in anything less than a 4-wheel drive jeep type of vehicle - and you should be aware that most Hire-Car Insurances do NOT cover for damage to the underside of the vehicle - so if you damage it on a big pot-hole it could cost you a lot of money.
Having said that - it's a 30 - 40 minute walk and it is well worth it - but take a torch for the return journey.
Home is where the heart is - CORFU :-)

Offline bertieb

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 04:11:20 PM »
Many thanks Geoff & JL for your replies,

do you know if they open in early May, was thinking of doing the long lunch, website states that they open luchtimes only at weekends

Will probably give them a call once we arrive but any info gladly appreciated

Offline Mick and Jill

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 05:51:58 PM »
Geoff can you also get to the restaurant by boat.  Sure we went passed it last year.

Jill x
Jill XXX

Offline iluvsangeorge

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
    • About Agios Georgios
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 09:47:30 PM »
Most years Fisherman's Cabin does not open until late May. One reason for this is that the access road (at Agios Georgios beach) is usually badly damaged during the winter and not repaired until then. Until it is repaired the road is just not passable by cars. The cause of the road subsidence is underground water from the heavy winter rains running down the hillside (under the ground) and causing the road to slide into the sea. They won't repair it until the ground has dried out enough for no more subsidence to occur.
Later in the season the main problems are the holes caused by scrabbling car wheels on the hills or at the edge of concrete slabs.
Personally I would say don't try to drive there in a normal hire car due to ground clearance problems. It would be very difficult not to damage the underneath, exhaust and tyres.

Leave the car at the side of the road at Agios Georgios and walk.

The last 2 years I have called in at the restaurant during mid-May while they were very busy with painting and expecting to open towards the end of the month.

Take Costas's mobile phone number with you and contact him during your stay. 
Seehttp://www.agiosgeorgios.co.uk/fishermans.htm

Dennis

Offline Geoff

• Corfiotophile
  • Arillas Addict
    • http://www.geoff-and-sue.freehighway.net
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 01:23:45 PM »
Jill - sorry, only just seen your post.
I'm afraid I don't know if there is a landing stage for a boat, but on the basis that it IS a Fishermans cottage then I would guess that there must be somehere to moor up.
Maybe Dennis can confirm?
Home is where the heart is - CORFU :-)

Offline bertieb

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 01:50:12 PM »
Many thanks for all your info, it seems that we may be too early this year but will take the phone number and give it a try

Offline iluvsangeorge

• About Agios Georgios
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 05:35:54 PM »
I'm afraid I don't know if there is a landing stage for a boat, but on the basis that it IS a Fishermans cottage then I would guess that there must be somehere to moor up.
I don't know what sort of 'landing stage ' there is at Fisherman's Cabin for a boat but certainly the Sunfun Club at Agios Georgios beach will take you there and pick you up again (by arrangement). Friends of mine have often done that.

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 09:36:56 PM »

A couple we met last year went there by boat a couple of years ago, they were met by someone who came running out to help them tie up.

If you look at the google map and zoom in you will see a jetty just to the right.

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 11:46:20 PM »
I drove there a couple of years ago and you need nerves of steel.....so do your passengers!! And not too much retsina when you get there....but lovely evening, great food and wonderful sunset.
Sandy x

Offline iluvsangeorge

• About Agios Georgios
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 12:27:11 PM »
Definitely not open yet.  Due to the usual winter weather the track from Agios Georgios  slid down over a distance of about 20m.   Akrogiali Restaurant (Bennie's) owner now sitting waiting for the road to be repaired but will hopefully open this Friday/ Saturday.  You can walk there but so far not enough walkers to justify him opening. Haven't managed to get to Fisherman's yet as I left my rucksack at the side of the track while takng photos and had to go back a long way for it ...so gave up on Fisherman's that day.
Dennis

Offline JohnJ

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 03:51:23 PM »
From Joh the Ref
"A couple we met last year went there by boat a couple of years ago, they were met by someone
who came running out to help them tie up.
If you look at the google map and zoom in you will see a jetty just to the right."

I hope I am right in saying there is no jetty at the fishermnans cabin, or at least there has never been one when we have eaten there and looking at Google Earth I still cannot see one.  Are you looking at Bennies fish taverna by mistake as the fisherman's cabin is a lot further down the coats than Bennies.   We have taken a boat to the fisherman's  but it is very difficult to get moored and anchor down due to all the very dangerous rocks thereabouts and you certainly have to wade/ swim in quite a way.

JohnJ
JOHN JOHNSON

Offline iluvsangeorge

• About Agios Georgios
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 09:17:01 PM »
Kostas is hoping to open Fisherman's Cabin this week-end coming (26 May).  He said he will put a notice board at the entrance to the beach-side track in Agios Georgios when he opens.  NOTE :This year he intends to open at 2pm.

He said there is a small beach where boats can load and unload.

The road has been partly repaired for vehicles although it is very rough in places and not suitable for normal low hire cars.

Bennies (Akrogiali Restaurant) is open now.

Booking.com