Author Topic: Strikes....again  (Read 10172 times)

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
Strikes....again
« on: October 18, 2011, 01:05:49 AM »
Yet again I seem to be plagued by the Greek strikes. I am meant to be flying on Thursday for a long weekend for my birthday and have had an email from Easyjet today saying there is a 48 hour strike from Wednesday morning. I can have a free transfer onto another flight (going out, but I doubt I can extend it coming back, and anyway I have work commitments).
I am really fed up to have this anxiety again. If anyone has heard anything about the strike, could they let me know please?
I am looking on the internet but this time it seems to be a solid 48 hour strike, whereas previously they specified times of strike action and we were able to fly in between these. Also, last time I didn't get an email and I'm worried if some people re-book and the flight is nearly empty, Easyjet may decide to cancel anyway.

I'm only out there till Tuesday......
Sandy x

Offline adairsl

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
Re: Strikes....again
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 01:59:32 AM »
We can understand how frustraiting this must be for you.It is part of the reason we book through Thomsons.To be faair travelling from Glasgow we have limited choice but we stilll seem to have been less affected by localised strike action.We hope it works out for you because we know how much we would miss any chance to be in Arrilas!

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 02:07:08 AM »
To be fair, it's nothing to do with Easyjet - it's a General Strike in Greece so no flights will be going in or out of there. At least EJ do daily flights from Gatwick rather than weekly so we can try to go out on Friday.....but we lose a day.
Sandy x

Offline Dai

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 02:20:54 AM »
To be fair, it's nothing to do with Easyjet - it's a General Strike in Greece so no flights will be going in or out of there. At least EJ do daily flights from Gatwick rather than weekly so we can try to go out on Friday.....but we lose a day.

Hi Sandy, sorry to hear that you're going to be caught up in this. I'm sure you'll manage to overcome things and have a great birthday, though from your other postings I guess you'll miss your morning swim at the Rainbow. You'll have to have your early morning swim, very early morning swim that is, at the Akti again ;-)

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 08:01:17 AM »
Oh Sandy! It does not look good: http://www.athensnews.gr/portal/9/49234

Life is good ;)

Offline Cheryl2307

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 10:54:50 AM »
I'm so sorry to read this, Sandy, looks like you may have to lose a day and travel on Friday.  At least you will get to spend one more weekend there xx
Cheryl O

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 10:58:43 AM »
Bad news....the EJ flights are fully booked both Friday and Saturday....it is looking increasingly likely that I won't be going. I am SO upset.....
Sandy x

Offline BBB

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 12:05:39 PM »
There are still seats left on Ryanair (Stansted to Corfu) for Thursday! £59.99 one way at 10.45am.

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 12:12:01 PM »
Here is the strike time table:

http://www.athensnews.gr/portal/9/49148

Does not look like anyone is flying on Thursday :(

I feel for you Sandy!
Life is good ;)

Offline BBB

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 12:27:36 PM »
Sorry, I didn't think that one through, did I? !!

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 02:40:04 PM »
Do Easyjet go to New York?! :-)

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 07:32:26 PM »
Devastated for you Sandy. Why always you?? It's so unfair.

PhilnJen

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 08:00:43 PM »
The saga continues....

No EJ flights available till Sunday 23rd...not an option when you have a birthday engagement at Night Owl on the 22nd....

So, while I was in court today, my mate who's coming with me (the lovely Jo who paid for me to go to Vietnam....) text me to say that I WILL go to the ball.....she had booked us on a flight from Luton with Thomson on Friday morning. Nothing available from Gatwick....never mind, joy of joys....I'm going again!!

I got home from work to log on to EJ to claim my refund. To my horror, this is no longer available and the flight no longer shows up as cancelled. On closer observation, I see this is because EJ have now altered the time of the flight to leave Gatwick at 2245 on Thursday night - so it lands at Corfu at 0350 on the Friday morning, after the strike finishes at midnight.

So now I have TWO tickets for Friday....will have to cancel Luton (£57) but at least I will be there for my birthday. The only downside is the weather forecast but so long as they still have some retsina left, I will be fine!

A holiday wouldn't be a holiday for me if I didn't have all this drama beforehand. However, I do hope all these strikes have ended before next season!!

Yammas everyone!
Sandy x

Offline sharonF

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 09:06:26 PM »
If all those posts were in book form I would have been frantically turning the page to see what happened next! :) what a relief your going to get there on the friday, really happy for you sandy, have a brilliant birthday at the Night Owl.
Sharon xxx

Offline Paul D

• Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 09:18:47 PM »
Blimey!!  You don`t do things by half, do you? 
 But you will be there for your special day.
  Heather and I wish you all the best for a great birthday.

ENJOY!!!!    Just wish we were with there celebrating with you.

Take care,  Paul   
Arillas - `perfect antidote to life`s stresses and strains`!

Booking.com