Author Topic: Holiday Reading 2011!  (Read 44228 times)

Offline Geoff

• Corfiotophile
  • Arillas Addict
    • http://www.geoff-and-sue.freehighway.net
Re: Holiday Reading 2011!
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2012, 04:28:45 PM »
Thanks Terry - I understand now, it's all about BOOKS - I was wondering why anyone would want to Holiday in Reading - it's a nice part of Oxforshire but Arillas is so much better :-)
Home is where the heart is - CORFU :-)

Offline Val n Bill

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2012, 09:03:02 PM »

Come on guys, some of you must read books, so, give us some authors or book titles.
Going to get Bill to make his list when he wakes up from his after dinner snooze.

Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline nora

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2012, 10:42:51 PM »
I can wholeheartedly recommend witchlight - best book I have read in years
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Witch-Light-Susan-Fletcher/dp/0007321600
I am taking to Arillas 8 books - yes I love reading and am an Amazon Nut!!!!
Books to savour this year are -

James Chatto - The Greek for Love
Iain Banks - The Crow Road
SJ Watson - Before I go to sleep
Brady Udall - The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint
Amanda Craig - Hearts and Minds
Patrick De Witt - The Sister Brothers
Esi Edugyan - Half Blood Blues
John Lanchester - Mr Philips 

Happy Holidays
Nora x

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2012, 11:04:58 PM »
Come on guys, some of you must read books
from Val,

Honestly Val, I have never read a fiction book on holiday. The only books I read are factual or historic books about the place I am in or maps. I get my tails of history, exploration and every day life stories from the people who live or holiday there.

I can never sit still long enough to read a book.

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2012, 01:28:59 AM »

Terry, being a prolific reader I really don't understand how none fiction readers turn off from the rigours of everyday life, but I guess we all have our own methods. Both my daughter and I read all the time but my son and Bill only read fiction on holiday, and don't read much at home.
My own love of books goes back as long as I remember, way before I could even read.
I can even remember being told at the local library that I couldn't take certain books because they were from the adult section so Mum or Dad would book them out for me if they thought they were ok.

Like you I love maps and read them like books.  Google earth is the best thing anyone invented for the computer, but it's not as good as holding a real map.
As you say people tell the best stories and written down they become history.

Most fiction is based on knowledge of life, from classics to rubbish it tells of things that we don't experience in our own life, and maybe will never want to, but it carries you to those places.

You could say it gives you insight to the rest of the human race, just like history.

Val x

Offline daisyday

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2012, 08:43:11 AM »
I was like Nora and used to fill the case with books - until my husband encouraged me to buy a Kindle - fabulous - I keep it in my handbag all the time and when it is raining at lunchtime at work (so I can't go out for a walk) I sit in our cafe bar and read my Kindle - it's my new best friend!

Offline sharonF

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2012, 09:25:42 AM »
I got a Kindle for christmas and love it!  Can recommend a download - Love - from both sides, by Nick Spalding.  it is very funny, real laugh out loud, perfect holiday reading. 

Sharon x

Offline GaryS

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2012, 11:41:53 AM »
I never plan to read on holiday, whereas Carolyn reads all the time. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. If I do its usually in the second week and I use any delays home and the return flight to finish it off. I'd much prefer however to simply watch the world go by with a Mythos and ponder the great questions of the day........where to eat tonight :-)

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2012, 05:00:18 PM »
The only book I read on holiday is a book about food
It contains some some of the best meals and is a popular read in Arillas

The Author is a little known writer by the name of Dimitris Kourkoulos
The title of the book is     THE MENU

Offline nora

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2012, 08:14:31 PM »
You wouldn't happen to have a copy would you John? Seriously- has anybody ever photographed any of the menu's in Arillas and care to share?????? Nora x

Offline himishere

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2012, 09:15:46 PM »

I bought Karen a Kindle and she downloads all her holiday reading, so saves on luggage weight, suprising how much 4 or 5 books can weigh.

The added bonus is that you can access wi fi.

Great investment!!!!

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2012, 10:11:12 PM »

I agree about the Kindle, I have had mine about two years now and beside buying books I have downloaded lots of free books, I just read the reviews if I don't know the author and have had quite a few very good reads, (and some rubbish).

There are lots of very good bargains on Amazon, and some good travel guides.
Lots of authors are not even printing but going straight to E-books.

You seem to be able to get any sort of book you want.

Val x

Offline annec

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
    • Random Things Through my Letterbox
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2012, 01:39:19 AM »
I read all the time, usually over 150 books per year, mainly fiction but I do read some non-fiction.

I have over 1500 books here waiting to be read, it's my addiction - I rarely watch TV.

Val - I think you may have been at Mathraki last May?  I think you arrived during our second week, forgive me if I am wrong.

I don't have a Kindle - mainly because I have so many 'tree' books yet to be read.  I also have my own book review blog and receives lots of pre-publication books from publishers. 

One of my favourite parts of preparing for holiday is which books to take.  I always take books that I've had on my shelf for some time, and I always leave them on the bookshelf in the accommodation for other people to enjoy.  Some people fill their cases with shoes - I fill mine with books.  I will be taking 10 books with me this time.

Anyone who would like to see a few recommended reads can check out my book blog http://randomthingsthroughmyletterbox.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2012, 02:46:58 PM »

Yes Anne we were there last May.....hello again, just read your very interesting blog.

What a super hobby you have, like you I take or should say took, books instead of shoes, usually about ten that Bill and I can swop and only ever came home with a book to read on the plane. Now we take about three and hundreds loaded on my Kindle which are also connected to the net book we take on holiday.  So sometimes we are reading the same book!
I still read books other guests leave but now can't leave as many for other guests :(

Val x

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2012, 03:46:18 PM »
Terry, Val, Sounds to me like the best thing you can do is get hold is to get a copy of The precise all new road atlas of Corfu. It is a real marval.
Stephen spent 3 yrs traveling on foot mountain bike, scooter & car with a compass altimeter and a hand held global positioning system. Every public road, footpath& track. It is a fantastic piece of work.
We took one over for The Boss and he had never seen anything like it and said he will always treasure it, and I reckon he knows his way around pretty well.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sibadd/409057836/

Stay Nude it ante rude

Booking.com