Author Topic: Taxi strike  (Read 4311 times)

Offline chrisT

Taxi strike
« on: July 29, 2011, 10:00:56 PM »
Hi all can anyone put any further light on the taxi strike,how long has it been going on? is it still on?any news would be helpfull thanks

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
Re: Taxi strike
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 10:34:14 AM »
Hello Chris,

I posted this yesterday in another thread:

The cabbie strike is now on going with no end in sight at the moment:

http://www.athensnews.gr/issue/13453/45288

WITH NO end in sight, the taxi strike is stinging commuters, who are already reeling from the heat wave that has hit the country in recent days. With taxis off the roads, commuters are being forced to pack buses and trains. Tourists are also facing major difficulties.

Taxi owners and drivers began with a 48-hour nationwide warning strike on July 18, which they first extended for 48 hours and then indefinitely when talks with the ministry broke down.
Meanwhile, taxi owners around the country continued to engage in other forms of protest action, blocking access to roads, ports and airports throughout Greece.
Life is good ;)

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 10:43:41 AM »
Looks like it could cause chaos, still atleast if you hire a car the roads won't be so bad. lol. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 08:52:17 PM »
Hello,

No better news unfortunately :(

http://www.athensnews.gr/portal/8/45549

The talks between Transport minister and taxi owners on Friday lasting more than two hours but failed to find a common ground between the minister and the taxi owners' federation SATA.

After the talks, members of the SATA delegation held a meeting at the ministry lasting over an hour and afterwards announced that they will continue strike action.
Life is good ;)

Offline Lawty

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 11:27:13 PM »
Does anyone know if the taxi drivers are now working normally? Some friends of mine are due to arrive on Saturday and are hoping to get a taxi to Arillas.

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 11:59:34 PM »
I understand that it's over, but your friends should probably contact the accommodation owners to check. Wherever they are staying someone on here has the contact details. If they haven't booked a taxi, I suggest they book one with Noula on this website. She is Dimitris' cousin, and runs San Stef Travel. She will see to it for them, and make sure they arrive without problems. Has done for us many times.

Phil

Offline Lawty

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 02:40:40 PM »
Thanks Phil, I think the taxi is being arranged by the owner of their accomodation and I'll tell my friends to get in touch with him to confirm.

Booking.com