Author Topic: Inter resort bus service  (Read 17982 times)

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
Re: Inter resort bus service
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2011, 10:43:40 PM »
So agree NicandJohn. It will be so useful for those who can't or won't drive, and can't afford to get taxis everywhere. Jen and me find it hard work ever leaving Arillas and usually regret bothering, but first timers won't have that connection and need to see all of the North West coast. I have been shouting about this for years, and will support it in any way I can. Certainly by using it. Sadly next year...

Phil

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2011, 11:42:18 PM »
Do you remember us having a conversation about running a bus on the north west coast when we came down to visit you last october Phil.
You were going to drive it and live out there off the income.
Will you be applying for a Job?

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 12:17:10 AM »
lol John. With my reputation nobody would ever get on the bus.

But oh yes, we sat here in Baltonsborough working out how great a service like this would be. I think it occupied several hours..... Never had a chance to apologise for boring yous to death. 

We all agreed that there was a business in the making. Us four would use it, as would many more. You could do the driver job though. Dot could be the fare-collector. I can think of much worse ways to earn a crust....

Nothing new under the sun. Like yous was amazed to hear our October discussion turned into reality by our Eileen. But I wasn't surprised.

See you soon
Phil

Offline AvliotesLesley

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 01:15:43 AM »
Once again thank you for all the posts which are really encouraging for the company whom are organising this trial from August this summer we will keep everyone posted as we hear further on timings etc.  I have been around resort posting information and also emailing out and asking vendors to support this, so we can only hope that this much needed/discussed service will become a reality.  It will be of benefit to holidymakers and suppliers in resort and hopefully open the area for future tourism which can only be a good thing. We will keep everyone posted to updated information but in the meantime please share and pass the word....... If you have friends you can share on Facebook we have set this up as an event to try to inform as many people as possible.  Thanks again Lesley

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2011, 09:09:36 AM »
This will be great for us as my teenage son and his friend wanted to visit Sidari (eww!!:-)) and this would be a much cheaper option. Have you any idea when the latest bus would be at this stage?

Offline iluvsangeorge

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
    • About Agios Georgios
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2011, 11:15:55 AM »
Maybe if it successful, some buses could extend to take in Afionas and Agios Georgios  too???

Dennis

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2011, 11:24:50 AM »
Maybe if it successful, some buses could extend to take in Afionas and Agios Georgios  too???

Dennis

Dennis,

Good news! Ag.G is mentioned in my earlier post which was taken from Lesley's flyer.

The pass will entitle its purchaser to take as many journeys as they wish, during the valid period of the pass, on a circular routed bus service that will circuit the resort towns of Sidari, Roda, San George, Arillas, San Stefanos and back to Sidari"

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2011, 07:53:12 PM »
Sounds good to me a trip to another resort a few beers maybe a snooze on the way back lol a quick shower then out in Arillas for the evening :-)

Offline iluvsangeorge

• About Agios Georgios
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2011, 10:01:03 PM »
Good news! Ag.G is mentioned in my earlier post which was taken from Lesley's flyer.

The pass will entitle its purchaser to take as many journeys as they wish, during the valid period of the pass, on a circular routed bus service that will circuit the resort towns of Sidari, Roda, San George, Arillas, San Stefanos and back to Sidari
[/quote]

Thanks Eileen ! I hadn't noticed that.

Dennis

Offline babeljude

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2011, 10:05:47 PM »
we are coming in late July (5 adults and 2 kids) and will definitely use it, to look around, go to the cashpoint in San Stef and to really appreciate how fab Arillas is!
Jude

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2011, 11:39:16 AM »
What a good idea, shame it dosn't include Alykes as Michelle and the children will be at the Louis family resort there from 1st Aug and really wants to see Arillas and to meet some special friends of our's but she dosent like the thought of driving in Corfu with Benjamin and Isabelle in the back. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline momo

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2011, 09:00:40 PM »
Great to hear about the bus service. We'll be in Arillas for first time in late August and will use it. We'd love to re-visit Canal d'Amour and The Face taverna(but not for too long).Should be a cheap way to see the surrounding villages and then be smug about choosing Arillas!  Yammas!

Offline herman

Authorities attempt to Shut Down the Inter-Resort Bus Service
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2011, 08:10:38 PM »
In a super-swoop yesterday a team of Tax Officials tried to shut down the new Inter-Resort Bus Service.

They pounced on one of our bus drivers in San Stefanos and Arillas, confiscating his driver's licence and documents. These are essential, since if he doesn't carry them on him he is not allowed to work. Eventually, they agree to return them.

When I confronted them In Arillas, their second super-swoop, and demanded to see their IDs and know what they were doing by stopping a legal bus service, presenting copies of my UK Company Incorporation details, they then changed their officious tone, and eventually agreed that to stop the bus service, since no laws were being broken, would not be appropriate. I think they were trying to establish whether drivers were taking cash fares on board, which of course, as our informational material clearly states would be illegal under local laws. Having established that our drivers had not broken any laws they agreed to conference in Sidari, followed up with a meeting at the central Tax Office in Corfu.

The bus service was allowed to continue to run.

Their argument was that because my company was not registered under the Greek tax system it was trading illegally. I pointed out that Corfu Direct was registered in the UK and was subject to UK tax liability and that in order to liable for tax in Greece it would have had to be registered as a Greek company.  I pointed out that as a legally incorporated company in an EU State I was subject to EU Laws as regarded tax. (Funny, I thought that Greece and Britain were both members of the EU and both subject to EU Law). They did not disagree.

This is a classic anti-trust "Catch 22" clause that Greece invokes to unlawfully protect its internal market, which is in total contravention to Articles 101 to 109 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union.

In order to stay fully within Greek Law Corfu Direct had appointed a registered travel agent, so that all the necessary licences to engage the services of bus companies would be fulfilled. (I did my homework before leaving the UK).

The meeting at the Tax Office established that the Inter-Resort Bus Service was a 'fully legal' enterprise, but conversely, they refused to accept the legal status of any company to trade in Greece without a Greek tax number, which as I pointed out was not possible to get.

In order to complete our two-month trial they insisted that I transfer the entire Bus Service project to my registered agent, thereby effectively stealing the project and giving it a Greek company. I would describe that as state sponsored theft, but I had no choice if the busses were to keep running, and I was to get back a penny of the huge investment I have made to get the idea off the ground. The Tax Authorities refused to acknowledge the legal status of a legally incorporated UK Company and its right to trade in an EU State.

This matter will now be the subject of an official 'plaint' to the European Commission, since it appears to be a flagrant violation of one of the most central and important  EU anti-trust Treaties. Microsoft fell foul of this very Treaty and ended up with around a half-billion Euros in fines.

As a result of my decision to transfer the business rights for this trial, the busses will keep running, and the service has now been fully sanctioned under Greek tax Law.

I hope, therefore, that you continue to support it despite what you have read here. It's not all bad news. The service has proved very popular and has a strong demand. Now that it has an official sanction, the major tour operators are now bale to step up and offer tickets to their guests, without fear of falling under the same official hammer - so keep pestering your Reps for tickets and help make this a success.

Unless Greece decides to adhere to EU Directives in the near future, next year the service will have to operate in a different way, with tickets only being available to purchase online. Online sales are exempt under Greek Law. However, with smart-phones, iPads and internet cafes in abundance this should not be a problem, and tickets will be delivered direct to your accommodation. Even more convenient!

The really sad part of this debacle is that in setting up this venture one of my key objectives was to bring innovative ideas to Greece, in a way that would allow most of the revenues generated to remain to support the local economy. This would also generate much needed tax revenues to assist Greek economic recovery.

Sadly, it seems that Greece simply doesn't want them. No wonder the economy is in such a sad state.

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Authorities attempt to Shut Down the Inter-Resort Bus Service
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2011, 08:52:45 PM »
.... Corfu Direct was registered in the UK and was subject to UK tax liability and that in order to liable for tax in Greece it would have had to be registered as a Greek company.

..... one of my key objectives was to bring innovative ideas to Greece, in a way that would allow most of the revenues generated to remain to support the local economy. This would also generate much needed tax revenues to assist Greek economic recovery.

Excuse my ignorance, but how can it generate tax revenue for the Greek economy if it's a UK registered company liable to UK tax?
Why wasn't it registered as a Greek company?

Offline herman

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2011, 09:05:56 PM »
Hi Angie

The whole venture was designed to generate income for local business and only 20% would be taken away from Greece by way of commission. 80% would remain as income for local businesses, by way of commission earned by reseller, income paid to drivers etc.

All these elements would boost tax revenues for the local populace and the government. And frankly, to register a company in Greece takes huge amounts of time, effort and money even if you are Greek let alone trying to do it as a UK citizen. Believe me I looked into it, and I wouldn't be in business for about three years following an application. You have so much red tape here it's scary, and to be honest, Greece is a very unfriendly place to try and start a business, let alone introduce innovation!

Booking.com