Author Topic: All accomadation full?  (Read 3895 times)

Offline PAUL CONLON

All accomadation full?
« on: February 27, 2011, 05:55:05 PM »
Has any one came across the lack of Arillas Package holidays offered this year by the major operators especially in August, when you speak to them they tell you all accomadotion is booked but the hotel owners will tell you they have vacancies, when you search Arillas it only gives you he same 3 accomodations that they say have room, yet there is plenty of room on flights. Are the operators deliberatly
making a supply on demand market to certain properties to keep the pricing artifically high and will gradually release more vacancys as the season progresses.
PAUL,JOYCE AND SOPHIE
NEWCSTLE

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
Re: All accomadation full?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 07:03:02 PM »
Paul, I have long suspected this. I feel so strongly for the owners who get shafted twice - their occupancy is reduced and the higher margins all go to the tour operators. It's why we usually go independent, unless we can cash in on a last minute giveaway package. We'd much rather see our hard earned cash in the hands of our local friends.

Phil

Offline PAUL CONLON

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 09:57:58 PM »
Thanks Phil, we usually go private ourselves but this year at the moment flight prices from Newcastle and most other airports we could use seem very high ,almost a few pounds off a full package deal so we will wait and keep a eye on the net to see if flight prices drop when the "(winter depression I need a holiday)" rush is over that the tour operators seem to target.
PAUL,JOYCE AND SOPHIE
NEWCSTLE

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 10:11:21 PM »
Be warned Paul - EasyJet prices never drop. We book our flights early - the day the schedule is published. So far it's double for our July dates. And going up.

If you can risk not going - never an option for Jen and me - the last minute giveaways might provide a cheap break. We've done it once with Thomsons in October 2007. But that is yesterday. Be aware - if you see a great deal GRAB IT. Tomorrow some other bu**er will have. Have a great holiday in my favourite place on earth.

Phil

Offline PAUL CONLON

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 10:19:29 PM »
My thoughts exactly Phil, not going is not a option as well as a irate wife i will be hung in a gibbet from the Tyne Bridge by my arilliac daughter.
PAUL,JOYCE AND SOPHIE
NEWCSTLE

Maggie

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 03:45:09 PM »
Paul, it seems that Arillas accomodation is well booked for this summer. (I hope it really is, and not just tour ops playing silly games).....

I hope you find something, if you need any more info on anything, give us a shout.

Offline just Nise

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 07:45:28 PM »
Paul,
Having the same problem for end sept/Oct. The only flight that gets us to our other home (The Rainbow) is from Newcastle, a full 3 hours from home. There is no way that all flights from East Midlands,Manchester and Birmingham are sold out when last year we were almost playing spot the holiday maker in the same fortnight!! TC are holding back and managing demand to maximise thier profits.
Not a happy bunny,
Paul

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 01:31:02 PM »
Take heart - I know that some of the owners don't negotiate new contracts with the Tour Operators until Feb/March, and in the past have held onto some of their accommodation to enable them to take independant bookings. This has resulted in Tour Operators prematurely selling packages that they simply don't have, and then being faced with trying to place unhappy holidaymakers elsewhere.
Perhaps the TO's have learnt their lesson and will announce new packages as and when the new contracts have been finalised.

Angie

Offline JohnJ

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 03:20:06 PM »
I believe this holding back of certain apartnments is a strategy the Tour operators have used for a good many years.  Before starting to go private 3 years ago we often found only two or three properties available and we always booked very early sometimes as soon as the brochures were available.  We would often phone our preferred accommodation to check and they would often say they were almost empty.  What I believe is happenning is that the tour operators restrict the avaiability to the apartments where they have acieved a good deal on room rates (cheaper for them ) and fill those first.  More often than not others  amazingly become available once thiose are filled.  There may be an element of apartment owners not agreeing terms until after the start of the season but my cynical side says not,  its just the tour operators boosting their priofits.
JohnJ
JOHN JOHNSON

Offline Alan and Jan

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 06:15:54 PM »
Paul,
Having the same problem for end sept/Oct. The only flight that gets us to our other home (The Rainbow) is from Newcastle, a full 3 hours from home. There is no way that all flights from East Midlands,Manchester and Birmingham are sold out when last year we were almost playing spot the holiday maker in the same fortnight!! TC are holding back and managing demand to maximise thier profits.
Not a happy bunny,
Paul

Just been on the TC website for flights only from East Mids. Quoted £292 for Friday 23rd Sep and £309 for Monday 26th.  By my reckoning if there are seats available on the plane then there must be accommodation available as well.
Went on  to book a package. Came up with Kaloudis on Monday 26th for £389 each.

What puzzles me is how can you book Thomson flights or packages (which these are) on the TC website.
Alan and Jan

Eight letters, three words one meaning- Take That

Offline iluvsangeorge

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
    • About Agios Georgios
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 06:21:26 PM »
I agree with what has been said before. For years I have read similar posts on other Forums so it is obvious it goes on ... to the detriment of the accommodation owners.

Have you actually contacted the owners ?
If so I suggest you ask them to get in touch with the contracts dept of the TO and ask what is going on?

Dennis

Booking.com