Author Topic: WOULD I GO BACK TO ARILLAS  (Read 28082 times)

Offline lynchan

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
Re: WOULD I GO BACK TO ARILLAS
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2010, 07:56:31 PM »
7 days tomorrow and we will be there for our second visit.we cant wait,bags are packed.we went last year and our first few days were not what we expected but as i said this was the best greek"resort"that i have been to and i would recommend it to anyone,potholes,steelrods warts and all

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2010, 08:43:06 PM »
Have read all of this thread, and a lot of passion has been expressed. My one observation is how everything has been directed at promoting and preserving our Arillas.

Everyone who has posted here has  the interests of both the village and the forum in common. lynchan prompted me to post, because I believe in supporting Arillas
potholes, steelrods warts and all.

My rose-tinted spectacles are bifocals. I can see all the potholes, hear the odd loud motorbike and many other issues. But if it were truly perfect, like the religious view of heaven, you would have to be dead to be there. I am very much alive, and Arillas is the nearest I will ever get to being in heaven. A place where people can have their disagreements, live fulfilled and enjoyable lives and live together in peace, surrounded by the village, its tavernas and the sea.

Phil

Offline Paul C

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
A place where people can have their disagreements, live fulfilled and enjoyable lives and live together in peace, surrounded by the village, its tavernas and the sea.
I like the way you think Phil. We ALL must love Arillas or we wouldn't keep going back. Nowhere is perfect but Arillas comes pretty close.

riggers

« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2010, 10:24:45 PM »
I would just like to confirm the prices in Arillas is about the same as last year,So the locals are taking the loss.

Coconut 3 euros for mythos...happy hour 2  hee hee...lol

Brouklis last night, ....lovely meal as always, no price change from last year.

GOODONYER I SAY..

YAMMAS ALL....

riggers.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2010, 10:32:10 PM »
Thanks riggers. I knew that after Sandy's report, but on-the-spot reporter (you!) confirms it.

What are they all living on now we're drinking their profits at 1.5 to 2 euros a pint? Eileen said it earlier - you can pay what you want. But after the view from Ammos posted in photo gallery earlier by AJC54, I would pay 4 euros or even more to be there as the sun sets.

So glad you are proving yet again what Arillas offers.

love to both
Phil

Offline nora

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2010, 12:24:16 AM »
This has been such an entertaining thread and I can't believe people think Chris's words will put anyone off holidaying in Arillas. Price hikes are  the same all across European resorts.This is a complete over reaction  - maybe it is to do with forum members vested interests in their own enterprises - I don't know? Maybe too much vino?Its not like we have little else to worry about - massive  cuts to public services etc

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2010, 01:06:49 AM »
Nora, what a breath of fresh air. Many of us were stressed, but you were entertained. That is where we should all have been.

Being a clique isn't so bad, but I don't believe we are. Just a virtual community who have something in common.

As for vested interests, I think not. My "Arillas Addict" vest isn't the least bit interested.

Chris, Nora is right. None of us have the power to put people off. You weren't even trying to. Arillas speaks for itself, and mostly in a loud voice.

Phil

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2010, 01:10:43 AM »
Question - "would I go back to Arillas?"

Answer - (in the words of Churchill) - "Oh, yesssss"!!!!

We've just come back from two weeks there - our third visit - and will be there for another two weeks in September/October....

LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!!! Love the place, love the people, love the relaxed feeling as soon as we arrive... what is there not to love?

We've been staying at Kaloudis Village - absolutely spotless and well kept (although we're trying Horizon in September we'll go back to Kaloudis next May)

Mythos at the Gyro place next to Malibu is 2.50, dearer in Ammos. You pays your money you makes your choice (or something like that)

Life's too short to argue; people make disparaging comments; ignore - everyone's entitled to their own opinion.....

ARILLAS IS BRILLIANT!!!!

Janis x

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2010, 01:14:29 AM »
There ya go, I wasn't wrong.....

Nan

« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2010, 12:43:41 PM »
I AM GOING BACK IN ONE HOUR !!!!!

What I would like to say is that it has been so refreshing to read posts by members that don't post that often and that this post has encouraged a lively debate

MANY different issues have been discussed and very interesting points raised.

Eggy's love for his adopted home and the people of Corfu shines through and gives us all an idea of what it must be like to live there not just holiday. I would love to be able to spend maybe a month like Chris to just get the "everyday feel" of the place.

I will be in touch to post a report on my return and am soooooo looking forward to gettingon that plane at 3 pm !!

Love ya all lots

Nan xx

Big kiss for Phil XXXX  cos I know he is suffering at the mo.

Offline Corfusoon

• Helios Court Villa
  • Arillas Addict
  • Helios Court Arillas Corfu
    • Luxury Villa in Arillas
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2010, 03:39:54 PM »
Warning LOOOOOONG post coming.

Wow doesnt the loyalty of frequent visitors and addicts of this forum take your breath away! Cant imagine a response like this on Bournemouth.

I dont imagine there is any intention of taking this post down. I do imagine words have been had in the appropriate ears in Arillas. When we stayed back in April we were knocked out at the response of the locals, Greek and Visitors alike to help tidy the resort for the season as the budget was tight this year. What a great job. People are fond and proud of the place.

A couple of weeks ago I took my wifer out for our Anniversary. Lovely Thai meal with 2 bottles of wine. This cost £150. Ouch! luckily most of the wine came my way and the car keys to my good lady.

In any place of my choosing in Arillas, I would be pushed to spend this on our normal party of 4 adults and 3 ravenous children even given I and Peters appitite for wine. 3 Litres often.

My wife tells me that our UK home shopping bill has risen by £150 a month this last year. Obviously before the season this year the Euro was 30% stronger than the Pound. Now at least we have clawed 1/3rd of that back because Britain is in a period of grace around our Election before the Axe falls.

Are costs different in Arillas this year? Sure! Is anybody ripping you off? I doubt it. Is the value still good? Absolutely!!! You can still enjoy a life style in Arillas that you could only dream of in the UK on normal means.

I found myself out on a Friday night in the UK recently and for the first time became aware of how younger people dress and behave. I'm proper 40 now.

Bearing in mind we live in a rural idyll, permanent Conservative enclave and long ago escaped the urban sprawl and suburban culture I was somewhat taken aback.

I used to race my souped up wrecks on back roads in London 20 years ago. At least in Corfu someone wouldnt be afraid to clip my ear and say I was being a wally.

Times change, norms and values change. I see where I live as being 20 odd years behind reality and Arillas is certainly a charming kind of old fashion in this respect even to me.

As far as smelly accomodation is concerned Im afraid my advice is to vote with your feet. Personally, I firmly believe in providing constructive feedback to people whos services I use but I know this isnt for everybody. People react well to this if its real and not just touting for money off or a freebie. Most English people would rather moan than complain I think its fair to say as we dont like confrontation.

Plenty great places to stay in Arillas at budgets to suit every pocket. Something the people of Arillas are keen to provide. I have always said that Corfu is too beautiful to be a budget holiday destination. It could easily be St. Tropez and lets face it some of the ultra-rich are already there. Having travelled widely I chose to build there because there are so few places that have everything that Arillas has.

I dare you to find fault with our drains!

Corfu is stunning, Arillas a lovely location full of lovely, genuine people who care about your enjoyment, and I love the food, wine and culture. Its a place I feel comfortable letting my wife or kids walk alone in. Dont think for a second that I walk with my head in the air but I cannot say that about anywhere in the UK.

You get what you pay for in life and for me Arillas offers value that I cannot obtain anywhere else in easy reach.

Piece of metal sticking out. Go tell someone! We run a small fleet in the UK and after the winter I have shelled out over a Grand on Tyres and wheels because by potholes.

Points taken, but try a comparison with where you live. The Grockles can be a bit stupid down there too come Saturday night with some cider in.

I think the complaints on very specific points would have been better made to the appropriate parties direct. They do appear to form a sweeping generalisation on a place we love and obviously in balance you do too.

Im also guessing you have enjoyed the response this has generated as I admit have I.

Great that you all love the place so much!

See you there soon.
Regards
Frank

Style, Luxury, Tranquillity
Helios Court Villa, Arillas, Corfu.
http://www.corfuvilla.holiday

Offline Ivan

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2010, 05:12:28 PM »
Frank,
        good points and well made,
                                       Ivan

Offline Eleni

• Irenes Villas
  • Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
  • Irenes Villas
    • Irenes Villas
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2010, 07:01:23 PM »
Hello mr Curtis,

this is Eleni from the "IreneVillas" apartments!

I think that your email although based on negative points can really work as the best advertisement of the area as it s overall points have  worked on your  "coming back"!!

Concerning the prices of the  drinks i would say that in all tourist areas are a bit higher than expected due to the limited period of work.As for the bad accommodations why to be blamed if the tour operators give nothing to the owners and  people are dealing with them the lowest budget  that sometime is paid after 1-2 years?

What you pay is what you get we use to say in Greece and permit me to add that some spoilt drivers who can be found all over  can not erase the general impression and feelings of a hall area !

Thank you for  coming back but i d apreciate if you would write the  reasons why!!

Is it the nature?The clear light blue see? The people?The beautiful sunsets? The  warmth of the people? Genuine and authentic place of the world with it s bads and goods!!!
Nothing is perfect and we all know about the disadvantages   as we know the bad points of our own children....

The only thing that is left to do is the hope that we can  improve ourselves and see what we can do more  and better  to make things work the best way  for us and for  all our visitors who are looking forward to their comeback as you do!

Warmest regards

Eleni
Luxury apartments in Arillas

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2010, 08:02:39 PM »
Very good posts from Frank and Eleni there, but.....................

... I have to say that Eleni's post was better.

She only wins this vote because, even after very a very good response, she still is much prettier than you Frank.

Don't tell her husband this as I am told he is bigger than me.
(Rumour is:- He cuts the sleeves off his T-shirt due to the large size of his muscles! )

Anyway-...................
Good wishes to all & don't forget that we may all bump into each other at some point.
Cheers
Negg

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2010, 11:53:31 PM »
Its really good to read words of wisdom from Eleni once again. Its also good that, as an owner of an Arillas business, she is able to show things from the Arillas perspective.

Lets have a few more posts Eleni.

Terry

Booking.com