Author Topic: Othoni- Roots and Heritage.  (Read 11061 times)

Offline Eileen

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
Othoni- Roots and Heritage.
« on: March 18, 2010, 05:55:29 PM »
Isn't it interesting to see the need we all have to remember our roots and heritage?

Despite being so far from home these Othoniotes are determined their roots and heritage are never forgotten....
http://www.qgazette.com/news/2010-03-17/Features/Othoni_Society_Represents_Small_But_Beautiful_Isla.html

Eileenx

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
Re: Othoni- Roots and Heritage.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 06:29:38 PM »
Thanks Eileen luvver. Loved reading the article about Othoni. Sadly none of the links at the end worked, or I could have read more. Lovely way to spend a bit of my afternoon off.

We would love to visit Mathraki, Erikoussa and Othoni for long enough to make it count. Wonder if any of our "ex-pats" have done so? I don't think Eggy has, but wait to be surprised.

Would love to hear more from anyone who has any experience of these islands. I know that we will see them when we live in Corfu, so only a matter of time.

What a goldmine of information you are Eileen medear.
love
Phil

Offline Geoff

• Corfiotophile
  • Arillas Addict
    • http://www.geoff-and-sue.freehighway.net
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 07:02:18 PM »
Thanks Eileen - very interesting.
Phil, like you I have often looked at the islands and thought "Really must go there one day" - Never have though!
I have adjusted the link from that site - Try this.
http://www.omogenia.com/othoni/
Home is where the heart is - CORFU :-)

Offline Ang

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 08:36:47 PM »
we have popped across to mathraki a cpl of times to see and old arillas friend Sunny his mother owns the bar on the beach as you get off the boat, I remember the last time we were there a good 6 or more years it was so so hot too hot to sit on the beach so we spent a few hrs in the bar chatting with Sunny untill our boat arrived for our return journey.
Ang

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 08:42:03 PM »
Fascinating Eileen. I must admit that in all the years I've been visiting Arillas, I have never been to any of these islands. Must go onto my list of things to do....
Sandy x

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 08:53:53 PM »
Thanks for the link Geoff. So sad it is an American take on that little island. Wish it had been truly Greek. But like Gravia, we can sit in Graziella in Arillas, drinking wine and eating mezes, waiting for Gravia to move. Jen and me do it often... just watching the waves and the folk doing summer holidays, chatting and feeling our blood pressure sinking. Bliss

Maybe we should just book a stay in the hotel on Erikoussa for two weeks. Aaargh! then we would miss our Arillas.... No win here

Phil

Offline dimitris

• Administrator
  • Forum Fanatic
  • 尚 尚 尚 尚 尚
    • www.arillas.com
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 09:19:33 PM »
how about moving that topic to the "things to do"  board?

Yamas

D.
Dimitris Kourkoulos
Brouklis Str 7
Arillas 49081
Corfu Greece
+30 26630 51418
www.arillas.com
Brouklis Taverna
The 10 things you don't know about Arillas

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 09:27:56 PM »
Superb idea Dimitris. All the knowledge would be there in one place. And it is certainly a thing to do when people are in Arillas/San Stefanos.

Jen and me need to be there for a few months before we have time to waste on anywhere but Arillas, but maybe that will be us in 2011. Fingers crossed

Phil

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 10:09:35 PM »
how about moving that topic to the "things to do"  board?

Yamas

D.

Thanks Dimitris.  I confused myself trying to decide where to post it! 

Eileen.x

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 10:30:42 PM »
Ang luvver,
so we spent a few hrs in the bar chatting

Inevitably so would we. Like we always do. Hopefully one day it will be with yous two.

Phil

Offline iluvsangeorge

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
    • About Agios Georgios
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 11:43:28 PM »
I have visited Erikousa for a few hours on the trip from San Stef harbour. The boat trip which goes along the coast to Sidari 1st is stunning and well worth it but I believe last summer this starting point had to be abandoned due to the harbour silting up and only Sidari was used.

We only had 4 hours on Erikousa which is hardly long enough to expore very far and most people stayed on the lovely sandy beach.
I prefer to look around rather than beach lying but found although I walked mostly uphill through forest for quite a while I didn't reach anywhere with a view before it was time to go back. I think Phil is right in suggesting that an overnight stay in the hotel is needed to get the best out of the island. I am sure the same would apply to Mathraki and certainly for Othoni which is further out.
The Erikousa Hotel is quite small and guests of course rely on the sea conditions and weather being kind or it can be difficult to guarantee getting there and back again on schedule.  So don't arrange your trip at the end of your holiday or you might miss the flight home!

Here are some photos of Erikousa trip from San Stefanos harbour:
http://www.agiosgeorgios.co.uk/erikousa_trip.htm

My friend Yiannis has a brother living on Othoni and he says it is a lovely island and well worth visiting.

Last summer, Fondas, the boy from the boats in Agios Georgios showed me his superb video of snorkeling around the rocky coast Othoni and its sea caves. The water was crystal clear.

PS If you want to go then do so before it is too late. If the windfarm proposal gets approved you won't see these island for the forest of tall wind turbines all around them.

Dennis

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 11:48:30 PM »
Please don't remind us of that Dennis!
Sandy x

riggers

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 11:49:18 PM »
Would love to visit these also, but Sue can't swim and won't go on a boat. Might have to leave her throwing darts with Negg...:)  lol

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 12:36:09 AM »
Dennis thank you for your reply. We are deadly serious and have often talked about spending time on those lovely little islands.

But when all you can afford is two weeks in Arillas, you can't ignore all the local craic, and the gorgeous Greek people who help you make life worth living. That is what we will be doing in July.

We won't see it this year, but we will soon.
Phil

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 02:00:39 AM »
A slideshow type of video clip, but just goes to show all the beauty of these Greek Islands which are quite easy to get to from our place. Ask Olga....

Phil

Booking.com