Author Topic: Belongings Secure?  (Read 18101 times)

Offline LondonClaire

Belongings Secure?
« on: June 14, 2005, 10:26:40 AM »
Hi everybody

A friend and I will be in Arillas for the first two weeks in July, but for some of the time we'll be doing our own thing.  I'm not asking for any hard and fast guarantees, but generally, when on the beach on your own, is it safe to leave your belongings unattended on your sunlounger when you go into the sea?  On all the other Greek Island holidays I've always felt it was safe and am assuming Arillas will be.  But I'd still be interested in your comments.

Thanks and have a fab day.

Claire x

Offline Eileen

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
Belongings Secure?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 11:09:52 AM »
Hello Claire,

I'm sure you will find you will feel just as safe in Arillas as you have on any other Greek Island, in fact if not just that little bit more so.

We have never had any problem leaving any of our belongings on any of the beaches in Corfu, I'm sure if you take just the usual precautions by not taking too much cash and discreetly tucking anything out of sight when you go down to the sea then you will be fine.

You know Claire, last year we took my mum (then 78 )to Arillas for the first time, now she's quite a timid soul, not known for going off on her own (in fact a recurring nightmare she has is being in an unknown place by herself :roll: ).  On our first full day there she was no where to be seen in the morning, I hammered on her apartment door and full of dread asked for the spare key from the owners.  She was not in the apartment, where on earth could she be?  We could not believe that she had taken herself off for an early morning walk and had stopped on the way and blethered to the locals, ha, the sign language must've been a sight to see.  My mum said that from the minute we arrived she sensed that Arillas was so friendly and relaxed that she felt quite a home wandering around! :D

My daughter and niece arrived the following week, I was very curious as to how Arillas would appeal to 2 young 'uns.  The day they arrived did not get off to a good start it was pouring of rain :(  We all went out for a meal that night and then left the girls to find their own way around.  The following morning I was delighted to hear them say that they LOVED ARILLAS and were coming back again...that was only 24hrs after arriving, suffice to say they returned 3 times after that last year. :roll:

You will have a great time, I'm sure of that!

Eileenx

Offline db

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
Belongings Secure?
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 01:18:50 PM »
i dont think u hav to worry bout leavin ur things unattended. i stupidly left my mobile phone at the phone box next to the creperie last week but luckily sumone phoned my boyfriends mobile to tell him they had found it.  thats how friendly and nice the people are over there.  :)

Offline Aly

• Arillas Addict
Belongings Secure?
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 03:28:04 PM »
Hiya, on the sunbeds I think you will be ok, especially if you ask someone nearby to keep an eye out. I would be a bit careful in other areas, I tend to leave just my towel/brolley!  A few years ago a mate of mine had his rucksack nicked on the nudey beach and all his belongings scattered ... funnily enough no-one saw anything  :x  So just be careful ... take cameras, phones, money with you as you would here.

Offline Elaine&Baz

Belongings Secure?
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 02:58:52 PM »
The only person that is not to be trusted on the beach is the donut man!!  Last week he charged the lady next to us 20 euro's for 3 thin slices of watermelon, although he did throw in some free strawberries!!

Elaine

Offline Paul/Deb5

• Forum Fanatic
Belongings Secure?
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2005, 12:25:51 PM »
Hi All
     There is no need to worry ,we have never seen anything taken off the beach etc in all the years we've been going, I suppose it depends how busy it is ,but its always worth having a look round first.
I agree with you db as the locals always knows whats going on.

Paul/Deb5

Offline db

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
Belongings Secure?
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2005, 12:47:04 PM »
yip thats rite paul/deb, thats the first time iv ever had a mobile returned out of the multiple times iv lost one, ya think id learn  :roll:  was so surprised.it would not happen at home thats for sure.just very honest and friendly ppl there. of course we r al responsible for our own belongings.  :)

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
Honesty in Arillas
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2005, 03:36:20 PM »
When we were there in June my wife exchanged some travellers cheques for Euros, at Arkokal Travel. She never checked her euros and came back to Brouklis with me for lunch. The young lady in Arkokal actually came and found her and gave her e20 that she had left on the counter.
NUFF SAID.?
Negg

Offline sheila

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
Belongings Secure?
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 08:08:20 PM »
We found it safe in Arillas it's the only place I've been to where I've felt safe walking on my own at night and we had no trouble leaving our items unattended on the beach. :P
SHEILA

Offline Gary & Julie

Re: Belongings Secure?
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 07:12:48 PM »
When asked by friends, why I love Arillas soo much, one of the main reasons for me, is the total lack of any signs of crime or bad behavior.  As I walk along the beach, I always notice with delight, the keys, that are often left in the ignition of cars and scooters. Once, i noticed a delivery van on the beach road, which had the radio playing, all windows down, a full bowl of euros on the front seat and the keys in, I presume the driver was in the shop making a delivery, but it made me smile, this is a small example of how trusting everone seems to be and it washes off on me, I'm glad to say. Arillas is to me, the safest place in the world bar none.

I was once told that Greece has the lowest crime rate in Europe with Corfu having the lowest in greece. This I can believe.

Regards, Gary

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 12:28:14 PM »
I agree totally but we cant become too complacent... we still need to be wary... not everyone is as honest as we might be....and although I feel very safe and would have no worries about being there on my own  it would be silly to take unnecessary risks.  Especially in view of Madelines abduction we need to be vigilant with kids especially because life today is not ideal and you do not know who is watching you. Sorry to put a negative thought in.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline Cheryl2307

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 12:40:58 PM »
I agree with you bg - I've always left my things on the beach and have never had any problem but I don't carry large amounts of cash (cos I never have any!!) just what we need for the day really. 

However, I'm afraid to say that my daughter had her bag grabbed from off her shoulder in the Malibu Bar when we were there in July last year.  The guys behind the bar seemed to know who the offender was and dealt with it themselves - she got most of her things back but not everything.  So there's good and bad everywhere and you always need to be on your guard. 

When there's a lot of tourists about you are bound to get the odd 'chancer' coming into the resort - donut man another example.

So, play safe but most people are honest it's just the minority that spoil it.  Rant over now!
Cheryl O

Offline Shuey

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2007, 02:24:02 PM »
We have never had a problem anywhere abroad. 

But when we stayed at Bardis Hotel in May 2005, 2 girls that were staying there had their passports and cash taken out of their room (or so they said).  I don't know the ins and outs of it or how true it was but there was a bit of commotion with the owners.

Offline bigbadjon

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
    • For those of you who know about Daniel
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2007, 04:08:17 PM »
I holiday on my own and have found that nothing has gone missing on the beach...anyway, there is always someone nearby that you can ask to look after anything u leave if u go to the shop or off for a walk or a swim

If you're worried, dont take any valuables to the beach. passport, tickets, cash and jewellery can be left in deposit boxes at apartments

Offline Mick and Jill

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2007, 02:38:54 PM »
We normaly leave all our things on the beach while we pop over to Alex's or Portofino.  Nothing has ever gone missing.

Jill
Jill XXX

Booking.com