Author Topic: Posting Pictures  (Read 7704 times)

Offline TerryW

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Posting Pictures
« on: February 26, 2010, 03:14:11 PM »
Posting Pictures to the forum can be a bit difficult at times, and Eggy's post from yesterday, prompted me to look at different options.

Its still best to save photographs to Imageshack, Flickr, Photobucket etc as you can preview the photo(s) on your post before it is published. I don't think that the "forum" Attach option at the bottom of the post windows allows you to preview before posting

The new software I have tried is Shrink Pic and it can be downloaded here ..

http://www.onthegosoft.com/sp_download.htm

Download the software and install it. After installation you can see an example of how Shrink Pic is used for emails.

Once Shrink Pic is installed, you load it when you want to upload photos, and it just sits in the system tray and shows as an open envelope.

If you right click on the icon you can choose settings.

The following screen will be displayed

The High Compression Setting (as Shown) is the best to start with as it gives smallish pictures.

If the uploaded pictures are still too large you can use the custom option to reduce the size. This may take a bit of trial and error

The good thing about this software is that once it is loaded you can just upload your photos without doing anything esle.

To test photos sizes, I send myself a message on the forum, and keep using Preview to see the size of the photographs.

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
Re: Posting Pictures
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 04:11:15 PM »
Here are some examples. The original size of this photo was 1,029 Kb

This is the uploaded file with the setting on Medium Compression (15-150Kbyte)

This is the uploaded file with the setting on Custom Compression with sizes of 320 x 240  and quality set to 100

This is the uploaded file with the setting on Custom Compression with sizes of 480 x 360  and quality set to 100

The last setting seems to give the correct size of photograph  with sizes of 480 x 360  and quality set to 100

riggers

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 04:14:44 PM »
They're very good Terry, i'll download it.

I like that van also :)

riggers.

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 04:19:10 PM »
Cheers Terry

Have a chat later I hope.
Negg

Maggie

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 06:36:56 PM »
Terry, I'm a bit thick when it comes to all this, if I use the 'browse ' to attach, on the reply window, I can easily choose my pic, but how do I get it onto my reply post? (does that make sense to you?)

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 06:48:28 PM »
It does make sense Maggie. Well, I think I know what you mean.

I mentioned this on my first post. You go to browse and find the picture, click on it and you see the file in the box between the words ATTACH and Browse ie in this post ..

C:\Documents and Settings\rg368551\My Documents\Downloads\avatar_36.png

You can't see the photo until after you have posted.

So now I have attached the file and hopefully the photo will appear after posting

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 09:06:03 PM »
I have just found that Photobucket has more upload options, where you can upload photos in varying sizes for different applications.

Just under the Upload Tab you will see (More Upload Options)

When you click on it the following screen appears

For first Photo I used the 320 x 320 option and got this

Then I did 640 x 640 and got this

This second option looks ideal so I will use that from now on.

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 09:12:56 PM »
Imageshack has the same feature. Just click on the pulldown menu where "Do not resize" is displayed

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 02:25:31 AM »
I wish I hadn't just come back from Rachel's (Friday night is curry night) and had lots of Villa Maria!!  Difficult to take all this in at the best of times...
Think I understand it all - will read again later when (a little more) sober, lol!

Janis x

PS Thank you Terry for sorting all this out! I downloaded Irfanview the other week and resize - this seems to work (ish) for me

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 02:26:54 AM »
Ooops - should explain - Villa Maria is one of my favourite New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs and on offer at Sainsbury's at the moment!

riggers

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 02:36:34 AM »
Good luck Janis....i will try also. :)

Hmmm wheres that Wine...  :)

riggers

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 02:38:28 AM »
Sorry Terry you are doing a GRAND JOB.........  :)

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 03:17:49 AM »
Yous lot spin me right round, baby
right round like a record, baby
Right round round round
You spin me right round, baby
Right round like a record, baby
Right round round round.....

I never cease to be amazed at this Arilliac community. The lovely people who spend their time frequenting this forum. Yous all love being in Arillas as much as Jen and I obviously do, and share it with us. You spin us right round, babies right round like a record...

We post pictures, we worry about resizing, we apologise but none of that is important. We love looking at the pictures, but in the end it is sharing the real thing that matters. The pictures are just in my mind...

Phil

Offline MaryH

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 04:44:18 AM »
I totally agree with you Phil , this site is lovely we all share a little bit of each others lives and all have one great love in comman, Arillas. We have Terry W who is so helpfull with showing people how to post photos. Terry the Arillas Techy. All good stuff
Love
Mary :)

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 09:50:18 AM »
Terry, just want to get my tuppence worth in too.  A big thanks for the help you give and for the time you put in keeping us technophobes sorted.

Eileemx

Booking.com